JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Competant Newbie at wits end

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfseeker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Competant Newbie at wits end Reply with quote

Help! I cannot get ir.exe to talk to either of my computers through my newly made Simple interface rev. 5 JP1 cable. I am modestly compentant with both computers and a soldering iron, but all I can get out of ir.exe is the "No response" error. I get it when my RCU810 is connected to the cable. I get it when my brand new 15-2116 is connected. I get it when only the cable is connected to the parallel port. I get it when nothing is connected. I get it on all available port addresses.

I have triple checked the wiring, layout and continuity. I have checked the pin placements in the female JP1 connector. I have checked both resistors and the diode. I have checked for shorts in the interface wiring. I have checked the JP1 connector for shorts. I have checked for opens in the connector. I have set the transmission delay to 1600. I have checked that the parallel port is enabled. I have verified the drivers. I have tried reducing the remote voltage to 4.5 v.

Some of these tests make no sense to, given the error message I get, but hey, I'm at my wits end.

Help?! Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for us to diagnose what the problem might be without being there to check your Simple cable ourselves. Maybe it would be worth the time and effort saved if you just bought a ready made cable, they're only $14 shipped.
mfseeker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: wits end Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, but I hoped that I had overlooked something obvious. It's not the money; it's the time. I want JP1 to work yesterday, since I am leaving shortly for a 9 day trip to the States. I'm making another cable from scratch.

I'll let you know when it all works, and I have joined the club.

Thanks for the reply.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desktop or laptop?

OS Version?

Have you tried unchecking Auto Check on the Interface menu?

Have you tried with NO batteries in the remote?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: wits end Reply with quote

mfseeker wrote:
... since I am leaving shortly for a 9 day trip to the States...

It's always a good idea to add your location to your profile, but it's an especially good idea when you're not located in the States. There are many times when our answers to a question will be different if we know where you're located. For example, when I said that a JP1 cable only costs $14 shipped, I meant if it's shipped domestically, shipping overseas would obviously cost more.
lefty01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a picture of both terminals. One of the RS232 without the cover and another of the 6 pin connector .....
A screen shot of the software at work would not hurt either....
BTW.
I made my own cable and it works fine with my 8810w remote, yet, when I was assembling it, I soldered the diode backwards and had to correct it Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: