JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Forums or Yahoo Forums?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we continue to use the new forums or go back to the Yahoo forums?
Stay here
56%
 56%  [ 22 ]
Move back to Yahoo
43%
 43%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 39

leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a recent experimenter with Yahoo (since that was where most of the JP1 info was), I was buried in posts to look at, never mind read. Seemed like every tenth post was a 'new file uploaded...'.

After a while at AVS and elsewhere, I can't stand non-threaded forums. On the other side, I'm trying to get several lists I run at work to convert to webbased threads, but there are many folks that are wedded to 'plain emails' (usually the oldtimers... Smile )

Summary: I couldn't find much of anything I needed at Yahoo that wasn't in the files area. If we can get that here, it would be perfect.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Email digests for hifi-remote forums? Reply with quote

There's a beta add-on for phpBB that allows email digests to be sent at a predetermined frequency. Here's a link to the thread describing it:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112451

Currently I would vote to stay with Yahoo, but with this added I would vote for the forums at hifi-remote. Could it be added easily? I'd be willing to help in beta testing.

Thanks,

Jason M.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Jason, I'll look into it. At first glance it looks like it might be above my level of expertize to install it, but I'll see if Lucy can help me with it.

Rob
Scott Stephens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received messages on site at Yahoo so the ability to view by threads and not have those annoying advertisments is already a significant improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Just looking at some of the posts and the who is on-line section makes me wonder if it might not be better not to allow guests to posts or even view messages. I think a lot of people may not sign up, especially the lurkers. Then when they get some help and make an upgrade it's kind of a hassle to then sign up at Yahoo to post their upgrades ( of course I guess they would likely be a member in order to download KM, RM, IR, etc )

I haven't voted yet as I believe that the best way to get a good idea is to give this method a try first. Maybe after a month another vote can be taken unless a recall is scheduled first.

Scott
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Stephens wrote:
Just looking at some of the posts and the who is on-line section makes me wonder if it might not be better not to allow guests to posts or even view messages.

Guests can only read posts. For now, we have disabled the ability for them to post here (see this thread and I think you'll see why). That may change in the future.

Quote:
I think a lot of people may not sign up, especially the lurkers. Then when they get some help and make an upgrade it's kind of a hassle to then sign up at Yahoo to post their upgrades ( of course I guess they would likely be a member in order to download KM, RM, IR, etc )

For now, people do need to join the Yahoo group to get access to the software library. So, they'll already be signed up when it comes time to post their upgrade files. Plus, Rob is working on a way to get a files section here.
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to sound odd - but why would you want such e-mail intrusions?
How is it an intrusion if the email was requested? You don't get it unless you opt to receive it.

Quote:
If these new forums operate like other phpBB or UBB forums - then you will be informed of all new posts since your last visit - so when you go to check the forums - you can with a glance know what is new since your last visit.
That's the rub. I don't want to have to visit the forum.

Quote:
There's a beta add-on for phpBB that allows email digests to be sent at a predetermined frequency.
This is definitely a step in the right direction. But, for me at least, it misses the mark if the either the emails don't come individually for each post to the forum or if the digest isn't in standard MIME digest format. There would also need to be the ability to reply via email.
Fast351

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with either/or is that both formats have advantages.

UBB Forums:

-Much better search capability (I have yet to get useful results out of searching the yahoo message archives).
-Threading is a definite plus. I too sort my list mail from several groups I'm subscribed to into their own folders, but sometimes the volume of mail is too much, and I skip over tons of messages.
-Browse at your convenience. When I download my mail, I do so most of the time to check for personal mail and have little time to read list mail.
-New member recruitment through web hits off search engines.

List mail (yahoo):

-Less action required to get to messages. You hit "get mail" and that's it.
-File area already developed. This seems like a simple matter of software for the Forums format though, so I don't know how much of an issue it is.

For me I'd rather have it in Forums format. The threading capability of this format far outweighs the negatives.

-Mike
Phriendly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new forum better than Yahoo. I had the hardest time trying to track posts on Yahoo. The only way I could partialy keep track was to have them sent to my e-mail accnt (which I filtered into its own directory).

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: