JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got IR and RM working in linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Lurker, just out of curiosity, what Linux distribution are you using?

Debian
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody gotten RMIR to work with a USB to serial adapter under linux?
I'm running Ubuntu 7.10, I got the adapter to show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 after removing britty which was stopping it from being recognized. I swithed the port in RMIR to /dev/ttyUSB0 and attempt to download but I get a remote not found error. The same remote and cable work fine in Windows.

Mike

Edit: Using a FTDI RS232B usb to serial adapter.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a Linux system at home (Mepis distribution, which is very close to Debian, but better documentation and slightly better support for doing admin tasks by GUI, rather than command line).

I haven't had time to do any IR stuff on Linux yet. Not even testing the DecodeIr changes Greg gave me.

Hopefully, I'll find some time soon.

If there is anything someone would like me to test and/or tweak in Linux, the more cookbook you make the request, the more likely I am to find time. I really don't know Linux very well yet.

I'm hoping to make some more coding contributions to RM (I've done only tiny bits in the past). I have what I think are good ideas for generalizing the use of .dll/.so for interface access.

But first, I'm going to try to learn Qt. I'd like to release an improved version of IrTool. The improved one I use myself is too ugly a kludge to release. I think the original source code is too ugly a starting point. I think rewriting IrTool from scratch would be a good practice project to learn Qt. Then I'll see if the zip and xml support available for Qt are good enough to make a decent DecodePCF program. I can deal with the weird hex format in PCF files only if that is all I'm dealing with. If the zip and xml issues are also hard, I'll bounce off that project as I did once before.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this experimental version of libjp12serial.so which supports arbitrary serial port names.

Am I correct to assume you are using a JP1.2 or JP1.3 remote?

Dilligaf wrote:
Has anybody gotten RMIR to work with a USB to serial adapter under linux?
I'm running Ubuntu 7.10, I got the adapter to show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 after removing britty which was stopping it from being recognized. I swithed the port in RMIR to /dev/ttyUSB0 and attempt to download but I get a remote not found error. The same remote and cable work fine in Windows.

Mike

Edit: Using a FTDI RS232B usb to serial adapter.

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a jp1x cable with a 8820 remote (jp1.2) I tried the new file you posted but still get the same results, no remote found. Thanks for all your hard work.

Mike
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set the port again? That libjp12serial.so still won't find /dev/ttyUSB0 automatically.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I set the port. I'll have to dig out the pc to gain access to the serial ports on the back and see if they work. I believe this adapter uses the same chip as Tommys new interface, at least it's made by the same people. I don't have one of the new ones, if anybody does, does it show up as a serial port in device manager??

Mike
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I successfully used that libjp12serial.so with one of Tommy's new JP1.2/JP1.3 cables and a URC-8820. The device does indeed show up as a serial port at /dev/ttyUSB0 (COM21 under Windows XP).

I suppose it is possible that I uploaded the wrong file last night. I'll have to investigate tonight.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came home for lunch, and just checked. I'm using that exact version of libjp12serial.so with Tommy's FTDI RS232 USB JP1.2/3 cable. It definitely works once I set the Interface in RMIR to "JP1.2+ Serial" and the port to "/dev/ttyUSB0".

I noticed that IR is now using jp12serial.dll version 0.07. I'm going to work on building you an up to date version of libjp12serial.so. Stay tuned.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got it working by changing permissions for others from read to read and write on the libjp12serial.so file. The strange part is the libjpiparallel.so file is read only and that has been working. So the permissions on parallel is 644 and on serial is 666, it really doesn't make sense as nothing is writing to the file is it?? Perhaps something about permissions should be added to the Readme. Again thanks for all your hard work.

Mike

Edit: I'm launching RMIR using the included RMIR.sh script and am asked for root password.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set up a new computer and I just had to give my "davecs" user membership of group "lp" for ir.exe to run under wine. I may have brought forward some old personal settings though, so I will have a search through some files later this evening, but under PCLinuxOS it does seem quite simple. This applies to version 7.00, the latest version has exhibited some odd behaviour. 7.00 works perfectly.

I get some daft error boxes that need clearing when running Remote Master under java, but no effect on the program itself which runs, loads, saves and creates outputs that work.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope that was it. Just needed to ensure that user was a member of the "lp" group.
thingfromspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody happen to copy Xero's guide? I'm unable to connect to www.xeron.cc.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.

I have followed this thread, but can't get my 'Tommy' 1.3 USB interface working with Ubuntu 8.10.

The interface shows up as expected in /dev/ttyUSB0. In RMIR(with the experimental lib from this thread), I can set the device correctly, and when I start doing a download from the remote the lights flash briefly, but then I get an error that the RDF for device 'null' cannot be found. The RDF is there and works right in RM. Once this happens, the remote is locked up too - I have to remove the batteries.

RMIR is probably not what I should use anyway - reading in my OCAP 3033 .extender ir file from Windows doesn't work either - it doesn't give me an error but doesn't seem to parse the .ir file correctly. I suspect I use features in IR not yet in RMIR? Can't import it with RMIR in Windows either.

Normal IR(7.14) with Wine does not work at all, it can't see the device. I tried adding 'lp' to both my user ID and root, but still nothing...

Any ideas? My preference would be to get IR working with Wine...

xnappo
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thingfromspace wrote:
Did anybody happen to copy Xero's guide? I'm unable to connect to www.xeron.cc.

There is a backup copy here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/ir_rm_linux.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: