JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some people are unbelievable!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Some people are unbelievable!!! Reply with quote

I just had to share this with you guys. As you might imagine, I get a ton of emails sent to me directly from people looking for codes for some device or other. Well, you have to read the exchange with a guy called G. Aldrich (GGaldrich@cs.com) who wrote asking for the code for some device he picked up in a yard sale...

G. Aldrich wrote:
I have a situation about a TV/VCR combo that I purchased at a yard sale. It works manually for the TV and the VCR. However it did not have a remote.

Therefore I have purchased an all in one remote from Walmart. It didn't work after setting codes and clearing codes and trying and trying. So I tryed another remote thinking it was just the type I had purchase -again the same thing.

I am included the TV model # and remote info. as a beginning of how or what am I doing wrong. It was great when I found your webpage while I was looking for Emerson's website or 800 # which I was unsuccessful about too. If you have that # or webpage please share with me.

Emerson TV/VCR Combo model # EWC1301 (might be EVC1301- was hard to read if it was a W or V)

Remotes -
One for all URC4640 & URC3021w

Any and all input in this matter is greatly appreciated -
thank you,

G Aldrich

Then I sent this reply....

The Robman wrote:
I assume you've already tried the codes listed in the remote's manuals and I also assume you've tried using the remote's search procedure. Given that, it looks like there simply isn't a code for this device in either of your remotes.

Rob

And then as thanks for my effort, this is the diatribe the idiot spewed out next...

G. Aldrich wrote:
Yes, you assumed correctly as if we did not try these things we would not have sot out additional help!

Which know at this point you are no help -- so consider your website something we will not forward to others -- as what website information is there to help others? And I guess you are not -- definitely not, one of the helpful websites. Maybe you should consider another line of work -- as we are certain this is not the first time you have had question like this.

If you had, had a better "bedside manner", we would refer you to others -
but, "not know!"

Won't even wish you good luck as that has run out -- if you are not willing to help others -- (as you pleaded for their extra remotes and booklets, etc.) how do you expect others to reply to you if you cannot even be nice about answering your e-mail -- think about it!

Whatever - you are one of a kind and belong in a category all in it's self.

We will contact whom ever you work with -- and please share this with them as guess what you were no help and that isn't what customer service is about.

Sincerely - G. Aldrich

chas6000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... there's just no accounting for a**h**es ...
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Some people are unbelievable!!! Reply with quote

G. Aldrich wrote:
We will contact whom ever you work with -- and please share this with them as guess what you were no help and that isn't what customer service is about.

Let us know what happens when "the boss" comes looking for you!!! Surprised
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with G. Aldrich. Rob is the least helpful person on this planet.

Thanks for the heads-up G. ! I will immediately stop doing business with that least helpful person.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Alain
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, there goes the Swiss account! Smile
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people are unbelievable!!! Reply with quote

G. Aldrich wrote:
you are one of a kind and belong in a category all in it's self.
Well, at least he was right about one thing! Laughing

And which know at this point I wish him luck sotting out the helpful websites that he can forward to others, but "not know!"
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people are unbelievable!!! Reply with quote

One unhappy customer out of 15,000 plus satisfied customers is not a bad ratio.. Especially for a free service.....

G. Aldrich wrote:

G.Aldrich

If you are seeking information related to Rob's boss you can e-mail him at jp1_God@jp1.guru.eeprom
SemperFi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been around here for a year or so. I can't say I read all the threads in the forum but I haven't read what or where rob works.

If the guy was half as smart as he thinks he is he would have just registered in the forums and asked the question in the forums.

All I can say (my best bugs bunny voice) What a maroon.

I can't believe you put up a site where you and others can help each other out and a person doesn' t want to take advantage of that. Noooo they actually want you to come over and do it for them. For free no doubt.

If G.Aldrich wanted a remote that bad why didn't he just spend about $40 more than he had in both remotes and go and buy a new tv combo. You get a new set and warranty. Not to mention a working remote.

I will close by saying You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Wink
chasman1964

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 30 seconds of searching the Internet, I found Mr. Aldrich's remote at http://www.vcrremotecontrols.com/Mfrs/Funai/FunaiCombo/N0107UD.htm. It might be kind of fun to supply the information to him as one of the people "you work with," but I'm afraid I would have to trash my e-mail account after Mr. Aldrich handed it over to a spammer.

Call me elitist, but anyone who wonders about the state of our society need only look at Mr. Aldrich's (mis)use of the English language to understand... Surprised
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chasman1964 wrote:
Call me elitist, but anyone who wonders about the state of our society need only look at Mr. Aldrich's (mis)use of the English language to understand... Surprised

Eh?
You mean Spiro Agnew’s effete eastern snobs?
Hey, we still work with 1/64-inch units ‘cause teachers can’t figure out the metric system.

I sot God’s site & he nows all about that stash of remotes in Zurich that Rob in a category all in it’s self pleaded out of users. God is on his way to Elliot Spitzer.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're misquoting him (but then almost everyone who quotes Agnew misquotes him. That makes it much easier to make him sound stupid.) He used the word effete in several speeches, but I don't think ever in the phrase "effete eastern snobs". He was highly criticised for his supposed misuse of the word effete, which is something many people remember. Fewer people remember that those criticising his use of effete insisted that effete means infertile (a meaning which did not fit the way he used the word). Anyone who bothered to pull out a ditionary would have discovered Agnew was right and his critics were wrong. I don't have an old dictionary handy, but a quick visit to dictionary.com gives the 2'nd definition of effete as "Marked by self-indulgence, triviality, or decadence: an effete group of self-professed intellectuals." exactly as Agnew used the word. "Infertile" is the 4'th definition.

ElizabethD wrote:

Hey, we still work with 1/64-inch units ‘cause teachers can’t figure out the metric system.

Lacking the Smile I must assume you mean these things, so I'll disagree with that one too. Teachers may be totally failing to communicate the VALUE of the metric system to any students. But most of them seem to understand how the metric system works (a lot better than they understand lots of the other material they're supposed to teach). Back when I was taught the metric system, and now that my sons are being taught it, the teachers gave/give it significant attention.

The big reason the US still doesn't use it is that there was never any big reason why the US would switch to it. Teaching it to children in school can't make the country switch. Without a big push by some combination of government, industry or news media, there is nothing to make the switch happen.

I'm not all that good at spelling, grammar (or typing) myself, but I reread those quotes from Mr. Aldrich a few times wondering whether a native speaker of English could do it that badly or whether a non native speaker of English could phrase things that way.

Hopefully that's at most a comment on the state of internet communication, rather than on the state of our whole society.
chasman1964

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
ElizabethD wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're misquoting him (but then almost everyone who quotes Agnew misquotes him. That makes it much easier to make him sound stupid.)

Misquoted or not, Agnew's use of the English language far outstrips that of the original subject of conversation. Smile

johnsfine wrote:
I'm not all that good at spelling, grammar (or typing) myself, but I reread those quotes from Mr. Aldrich a few times wondering whether a native speaker of English could do it that badly or whether a non native speaker of English could phrase things that way.

My sister-in-law is a native Korean. I promise that her use of the English language is better than Mr. Aldrich's.

johnsfine wrote:
Hopefully that's at most a comment on the state of internet communication, rather than on the state of our whole society.

I'm not a stellar typist, either, nor do I spell everything correctly. However, repeated grammatical errors and mispellings of common words suggest ignorance rather than haste. I generally pick on other people's use of the English language only when they try to act superior. I think my feelings about society relate directly to that point: the growing number of people who feel superior (or at least behave that way) in their ignorance. Surprised
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite Spiro Agnew quote was: "nattering nabobs of negativism ...” having, of course, nothing to do with the plight of G. Aldrich.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're misquoting him ...
... Lacking the Smile I must assume you mean these things
... wondering whether a native speaker of English could do it that badly or whether a non native speaker of English could phrase things that way.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Ouch! I hate it when I post a public message with such unintended consequences and for that I apologize to all in this wonderful, colorful and lively group.

Sorry, John. Surprised I mangled the intention of my message which, I think, caused you to think I was comparing Agnew-speak to G.Aldrich-write. Agnew spoke well. Agreeing with what he said is another matter. My recollection of the meaning he used for “effete” is exactly as you described in the #2 definition. I also recall the misinterpretations of the meaning by the press. As far as G.Aldrich’s possible foreign background – I doubt it.

I could ignore and bury this thing under “the less said the better” political theory. When I read your reply, I wished Rob would force-close this thread for our politically incorrect stuff. But no, he Evil or Very Mad lets it go and I’m heading for Siberia Wink .

Hence, clarification is in order, for whatever good it may do in the name of peace: I could blame it on my Polish-English. But the truth lies in my sloppy message-writing squeezed between real work. Just for kicks, since this whole thread is so hillarious, I picked up on the chasman1964 quote
Quote:
Call me elitist, ...

in this thread Razz , but I failed to eliminate everything except those 3 words Embarassed . A mushy sentence followed Embarassed Embarassed .

Having read ‘Call me elitist’, I regrouped chasman1964 , self-righteous me, and the NYTimes into the crowd now accusing G.Aldrich of ignorance and meanness, the sort of crowd Agnew would call eastern? effete intellectual? snobs? and …ended up reading your history lesson. Your linguistic precision in JP1 answers is unmatched, so I can see how I caused you, and perhaps others, to make the interpretation you did. Sorry, again, guys. Shake? Smile Smile Smile Cheers!

*** The greatest obstacle to communication is the illusion that it has occurred ***
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, this thread turned up in a forum search, and I'd like to nominate this for the "hall of shame". Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: