JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can the 15-2117 control X10 via RF?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Can the 15-2117 control X10 via RF? Reply with quote

Just decided to give radio shack a call and they had one stock!!! Woohoo! Im so happy it was only $30!

So here's the big question. Since it is an RF remote and its JP1, will I be able to program it to work with an X10 rf reciever???
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the RF only sends an RF version of the IR signal to the base station which converts it back to IR and sends it to the device. The good part is the RF station can be in a different room.

You will still need all the other stuff.
maxse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no wait to program the RF so that the X10 base station will understand it ias well? I mean the X10 RF base also operates in RF, just prolly a different protocol? Cant u add a new RF protocol via the JP1?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxse wrote:
I mean the X10 RF base also operates in RF, just prolly a different protocol?

RF is Radio Frequency (controlled in the US by the FCC), and each device uses a different frequency (think of your car radio). The UEI remotes only use RF to communicate with their respective command centers. They cannot communicate with any other RF device (and vice versa).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have stated, the answer is NO.

But regardless, in order to control X10 using RF you would need an RF-to-X10 converter. Seeing as how you've just ordered an IR-to-X10 converter (ie, the IR543) the point is moot.
maxse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I understand Rob that I ordered the IR543, but I would also get an RF one u know what I mean.

Myabe you could give me an idea of how I should set it up. Im eventually going to build a HTPC which might be in a different room then the TV is. So im gonna need an RF remote to control that... Which means Im going to end up having two remotes... Im trying to have everything on one remote..
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxse wrote:
Im eventually going to build a HTPC which might be in a different room then the TV is. So im gonna need an RF remote to control that... Which means Im going to end up having two remotes.

The 15-2117 is an RF remote, you could use this to control the HTPC.
maxse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh so basically I woul djust have to get an rf reciever for the PC as well to control it? It has to be a reciever that operates on the same frequency as the controller does to the base station, no?

Also on the X10 hack for JP1 remotes. Is there a button to send a preset light level to certain switches, because I believe the regular X10 remotes can send a preset light level to certain X10 switches.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxse wrote:
oh so basically I woul djust have to get an rf reciever for the PC as well to control it? It has to be a reciever that operates on the same frequency as the controller does to the base station, no?

OK, let's back up a few steps. In order to run an HTPC you first need to buy a remote kit like the Stream Zap. While I'm sure there are RF kits out there, you would want to get an IR kit like this one. Then you would position the RF extender box that comes with the 15-2117 in front of the StreamZap's IR receiver and you'll be all set.

maxse wrote:
Also on the X10 hack for JP1 remotes. Is there a button to send a preset light level to certain switches, because I believe the regular X10 remotes can send a preset light level to certain X10 switches.

As I have now said many times, NO! If you can find an X10 remote that sends out a "preset" signal, please learn the signal from the remote using your 15-2117 and I'll take a look at it, but I doubt that such a signal exists.
maxse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks rob. But I was reading a thread here where jon_armstrong posted regular X10 protocols w/ 2 preset dim numbers. IT looks like this:
Regular x10 Protocol

OBC
00 Status Request
01 Extended Code
02 Preset Dim #2
03 Off
04 Status On
05 Bright
05 Bright (Rpt)
06 Hail Acknlge
07 All Lights On
08 Status Off
09 All Lights Off
10 Preset Dim #1
11 On
12 Xtnd Data Xfr
13 Dim
13 Dim (Rpt)
14 Hail Request
15 All Units Off

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1448
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those "preset" commands are only recognized by certain pieces of x10 gear that have that feature. IIRC, some of the higher end gear made by Leviton (that recognize x10 commands) have some preset dim levels that can be pre-programmed into the dimmer itself.

It's like many IR command sets, not all commands are recognized by all models. BTW, I just copied those commands from a list I saw elsewhere, and I don't have any direct experience with the preset commands.

Since you are using (or will use) a PC, then there are a number of other possibilities. You could use an x10 Firecracker (PC serial port to RF) to send x10 RF commands. You would use Girder (or some equivalent) to recognize the IR commands from your 2117 (or its base station) and then cause the Firecracker to send out an RF x10 command.

I don't see that that gets you anything you don't have with an IR543. My personal experience with x10 RF has been that it is less reliable than the powerline signals, but it may be useful to you in some way that I don't understand.
maxse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon, im not going to be using my pc at all... For now... I will get the higher-end switches that do have the presets programmed into the switch. My quesiton is, how will I be able to get the remote to send out the signal so that the switch recognizes that signal as say preset 1...
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used the preset switches so I don't know much about them. I just Goggled => x10 "preset dim" and got a bunch of hits.

I believe that for any x10 IR signal you first send the unit code (1-16) then what you want to do to that unit as the second and subsequent commands. If you send unit 1 then preset dim 1, then if IIUC, the first preset position is selected on unit 1.

You pick that preset value when you install the switch, so if you set preset 1 to be 50%, then that is what you get.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X10 sells "2-way" modules that can use presets IIRC.
maxse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thakns guys. Ill pick up a dimming switch and test it out myself and let you know how it goes. My JP1 cable should arrive tomorrow, so prepare for some JP1 programming questions Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: