JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HD TIVO and 8810
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: HD TIVO and 8810 Reply with quote

I had posted a question about this in the OFA forum at remotecentral.

I have the 8810 remote which accepts the 0618 device code for TIVO PVRs. It does not allow key moves. I have two options. One is to learn the few codes that are not correctly formatted in 0618 for my remote, or add to an already large device combiner protocol.

Also, John Fine indicated that I could do key moves in IR using the hex command option instead of EFCs. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. Using another person's TIVO PVR protocol upgrade, I have the hex codes from KM. When I enter these into the key move section of IR and click the radio button for hex command, IR accepts them and computes the correct EFC. But, when I use them for the TIVO, it doesn't respond.

Am I correct that the "hex code" on the function sheet in KM is the same as the "hex command" in IR? Should I be doing something differntly?

If I can't do key moves, I will go back to working with my very complex device combiner protocol.

I appreciate all help.

SMK
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: HD TIVO and 8810 Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
Am I correct that the "hex code" on the function sheet in KM is the same as the "hex command" in IR? Should I be doing something differntly?

They are the same. Are you sure you're selecting the proper device type and setup code when defining the key move as well?

Quote:
If I can't do key moves, I will go back to working with my very complex device combiner protocol.

Unfortunately, you can't use 2-byte commands with the Device Combiner.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try posting your IR file so we can take a look at it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I said back in the Remote Central thread, you would need to change the selected protocol to "Tivo Official", I just tried this in KM and it appears this feature is now broken. So, what you need to do is download the old KM 5.19 and select the official Tivo protocol, this will format the 2-byte hex codes for you that you can use in IR.

You've mentioned many times that you have a large device combiner protocol going and would need to add Tivo to it if you were to use the hacked version, why is that? What's stopping you from just using the hacked Tivo protocol?

Mark / Mike,
When you select the "Tivo (Official)" protocol for remotes that have the 2-byte version installed, it should let you format an upgrade without needing a protocol upgrade, and it should use 2-byte hex codes.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

You've mentioned many times that you have a large device combiner protocol going and would need to add Tivo to it if you were to use the hacked version, why is that? What's stopping you from just using the hacked Tivo protocol?

I have a Panasonic plasma TV which requires a protocol upgrade to use all its functions. It is my understanding you can have only 1 protocol upgrade. Using your advice in the past, I used device combiner to make all the components I have work together. All the TIVO devices I have seen need a protocol upgrade. Is there one that doesn't? If I am correct that I can use only one protocol upgrade, I will need add to my current device combiner the TIVO codes. Am I incorrect about this?

Thanks again.

SMK
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman,

I just downloaded the old version of KM you recommended, and I see that the protocol name "TIVO Official" does not need a protocol upgrade for my remote. I will try that later and see if that helps.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

SMK
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
It is my understanding you can have only 1 protocol upgrade.

I think you're a bit confused. You can only have ONE copy of the Device Combiner protocol in the remote. There are no limitations (except for available memory) on the number of protocol upgrades that can be added to the remote.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Although I said back in the Remote Central thread, you would need to change the selected protocol to "Tivo Official", I just tried this in KM and it appears this feature is now broken. So, what you need to do is download the old KM 5.19 and select the official Tivo protocol, this will format the 2-byte hex codes for you that you can use in IR.

RM has the "TiVo (Official 2-byte)" protocol for cases like this.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
It is my understanding you can have only 1 protocol upgrade.

I think you're a bit confused. You can only have ONE copy of the Device Combiner protocol in the remote. There are no limitations (except for available memory) on the number of protocol upgrades that can be added to the remote.

Mark,

I appreciate this information as I was not aware of the distinction. This should make things very much easier, and it will even allow me to undo some of my complex device combiner protocol.

SMK
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Mark / Mike,
When you select the "Tivo (Official)" protocol for remotes that have the 2-byte version installed, it should let you format an upgrade without needing a protocol upgrade, and it should use 2-byte hex codes.
You're right. Somehow, the Tivo (Official) seems to have been changed to use the fixed bytes & hex codes for the hacked version. Also, the S3C8 protocol upgrade itself is wrong (3 fixed, 1 variable), though the other remote types have the correct upgrades.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. Using the old version of KM as Robman suggested, I was able make a device upgrade without having to use a protocol upgrade (although as noted above, I could use a protocol upgrade without problems). The one thing that the old version of KM doesn't seem to let you do is put key moves in the device upgrade. This isn't a big problem, but I would like to do two key moves to put two codes onto shifted keys. I still am unable to use IR to do key moves with this device. But, things are generally doing OK, and I will continue to play around.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

SMK
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
The one thing that the old version of KM doesn't seem to let you do is put key moves in the device upgrade. This isn't a big problem, but I would like to do two key moves to put two codes onto shifted keys.

That's one of the many features that have been added between 5.19 and 8.21.
RoyGBiv wrote:
I still am unable to use IR to do key moves with this device. But, things are generally doing OK, and I will continue to play around.

Why can't you program keymoves thru IR? Let the old KM gnerate the correct hex codes for you, then in IR select the HEX radio button and paste in the hex code.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman,

I don't know why, but the old version of KM gives me completely different hex codes for the TIVO than the new version of KM. Using these hex codes I am indeed able to use key moves in IR.

Thanks again for the help.

SMK
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
the old version of KM gives me completely different hex codes

Of course it does because of the bug in the current version, which is why Rob had you use v5.19. I'm hoping to get an updated version released later today.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. Of course you are right.

Would you post to this thread when the new version is available?

Thank you.

SMK
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: