JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking good... Rob
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pptcc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: cosmetic Reply with quote

I didn't see a CANCEL button when I was posting [Post a Reply]. Seems like it might be a viable option along with preview and submit...
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: cosmetic Reply with quote

pptcc wrote:
I didn't see a CANCEL button when I was posting [Post a Reply].

Just use the Back button on your browser.
pptcc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: cosmetic Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
pptcc wrote:
I didn't see a CANCEL button when I was posting [Post a Reply].

Just use the Back button on your browser.

I know that...but a cancel button is cleaner. There are alway ways to get where you're going.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I still need to figure out a file section though.

That's going to be key before moving here permanently.

One thought, since most of the files we exchange are text files, we could just use the convention of putting the name of the file in the subject line and paste the contents of the file into the body of the message.

We would need that forum to have BBCode and HTML disabled, and make sure signatures are not attached. I don't know if you can control all that at the administrative level.

Binary files, such as the tools, could be hosted elsewhere (maybe at hifi-remote?) and simply linked from here.

It is not as clean as the Files section at Yahoo, but it could work.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
mikea128

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is hot rob...strong work Smile

as for the file issues, can't we just keep the old yahoo group to store our files? would be nice to have a real file server of course, but i understand how much that can cost...nothing wrong with the yahoo setup, altho it would be nice to be able to post higher res pics than the photo area there allows...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Works for me,but Reply with quote

pptcc wrote:
I think it will be a tendency to create too many forms for skill levels, possibly one forum with skill ratings for the posted question [original], of course then you see some simple questions evolve to complex tecinal solutions, so that may not work either. I guess I am just thinking outloud.
The people who answer most of the questions around here only have so much time to dedicate to this stuff, so my thinking was that by breaking the forum into 2 or 3 different skill levels would enable them to chose where to focus their energy.

Many of us are tired of answering the same newbie questions over and over and over again, so we could avoid the Beginners forum if we chose. But, someone who has just recently figured all this stuff out can chose to help out the newbies (being recently a newbie himself). By creating a forum dedicated to Beginners you create an environment where people who are somewhat intimidated by the whole JP1 thing can ask their potentially stupid questions without the fear of being yelled at, which isn't really the case right now in the main JP1 group.

By creating an advanced group, we can divert some of the particularly intimidating posts away from the main group. Those of us that are experts at this stuff still need to be able to discuss new ideas and other concepts that are WAY above the average user, but by cluttering up the main group with such posts, the beginners and average level users can become quite intimidated.

I also created a "code search" forum because, as anyone who's been around the JP1 group for a while will know, no matter how much we ask people not to post them they do it anyway, so by creating a special forum for such posts, those of us that don't care for them can ignore this forum, and if these requests get made in the regular forums, we can delete or move them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
One thought, since most of the files we exchange are text files, we could just use the convention of putting the name of the file in the subject line and paste the contents of the file into the body of the message.
Oh Greg, for a guy who's doing such great work with RM, how did you ever manage to come up with such an AWFUL idea! Laughing

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Oh Greg, for a guy who's doing such great work with RM, how did you ever manage to come up with such an AWFUL idea! Laughing

Thanks Rob, I sure didn't want to express that, but I do agree. Can you imagine: a KM upgrade pasted in a message window-----That would probably use up 2 or 3 pages in this forum. Of course a couple pages would just be a pile of commas. Copying and pasting them back together to be able to use them would be a nightmare. Evil or Very Mad

Jim
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Embarassed
I never said it was a GOOD idea, just something that jumped into my head when I saw there was no support for files.

I've never been one to keep my mouth shut when I'm brainstorming. It just let it out, and sometimes (actually more often than not) even the silliest ideas lead to useful discussion.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
lucindrea
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the atvantages of this style of forum is that you can create groups and have some forums readable or postable by only those in a group . like have a faq that anyone can read , and only well knowen posters can post to ... this would be good for the same questions being asked over and over and that forum can be kept clean so you dont see 200 posts 50 of witch are the same question ....

i have offered my services to rob as i have been an admin on this type of forum for some time now ( i run a NWN server that uses this forum ) so if rob ever needs help he only needs to ask Smile
Ellen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is a big difference from Yahoo, but one I think you'll get used to over time.

Unfortunately, no, I will not.

Quote:
Most of these BBS programs have an email notification option, although they don't tend to do very well with formatting. I see that there's an option to be notified about replies to messages that we post, but I'm not sure if there's a way to get all messages forwarded. Rob: Is this something that's possible?

I belong to a couple of other groups that use this web based forum software. There is an option to get notified of replies to threads. But is just a notification that there was a reply. You still have to log onto the forum to read the reply. And it is not automatic. You have to actively request notification, certainly impossible for every thread. So to me, the feature is of very little use Sad

Of the various bulletin board programs, vBulletin seems to be the most configurable. Or perhaps the admins of the forums I visit that use vBulletin are more savvy than the admins of the boards that use this software or UBB.

But enough is enough. I'll stop whining now.
jpstubbs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: How about using a Mailing List application? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of implementing a mailing list such as Majordomo or Mailman etc?
http://www.list.org/index.html
http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

I was wondering if one of these would be more suitable if the general concencus of the group would be to maintain the email delivery (& sending) of messages.

I've experienced using Majordomo in a previous company I worked for and thought it was well implemented (they used Majorcool web interface) but i cant remember if there was an archive option but something like this ( http://mail-archive.com/ ) could be used if required.

I would really miss the email interface we currently have on Yahoo, preferring the individual emails so i can keep them if interested and use my mail app to thread them for me.

Jase

PS I forgot to mention, I found an interesting mailing list faq you may want to look at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/list-admin/software-faq/
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellen wrote:
There is an option to get notified of replies to threads. But is just a notification that there was a reply. You still have to log onto the forum to read the reply. And it is not automatic. You have to actively request notification, certainly impossible for every thread.

There's a user profile setting that enables notification to ALL topics you have posted to. It can also be turned on/off from the reply page.

Of course, it still requireds web access to read them...
waclark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like this type of forum. I particiapte in a couple of other sites that use similar software as this board. I never liked the Yahoo email list as I never wanted to get copied on all posted messages. This style of message forum allows me to pick and choose which topics to read and which topics to ignore. I also like the email notification since it lets me know when someone has responded to a post that I have made.

As for a File section, what I have seen on other message forums is that there is a main web site that has links to the message forums along with links to a download section and other pertinent information.

It would be really cool if you could get a domain name like www.jp1.com or something a little more meaningful than hifi-rem.ipower.com....

Cheers
TC
mietde

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Yahoo!! Reply with quote

Great our own forum,
way better than that Yahoo crap.

No possibility to put all those old Yahoo messages here?

Anyway, an option for another forum could be an OEM section.
Just a thought but there seem to be little differences around with OEM remotes like the Dreambox remote.
But's no big deal, just a thought.

And perhaps a foreign language section,
O no, the idea alone Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: