JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dish PVR/DVR and 811 Tip
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Dish PVR/DVR and 811 Tip Reply with quote

FYI:
I found that the standard 0775 code in my 2116 works just fine with my Dish 510 DVR. I used the 2116's learning function to add "skip back" and "skip forward" to the TV/Vid and Sleep keys, placing them logically above the REW and FF.

I tried various KM update files from the Yahoo site, and none of them worked as well. Plus, they consumed memory.

Also, I have a Dish 811 HD receiver in the same room, so obviously, I can't use the same internal 0775 code for that. In this case, I used the DishNetwork_301_upgrade file, changed "Unit" number to 3 to match the 811's address, and assigned it to the "Cable" device button. It works perfectly with minimal memory usage. I did use learning to add the "*" function to the +100 key to change the aspect ratio.

Just thought I'd offer my experience. Maybe it will save some folks a little time and effort.
garypen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
As it turns out, the internal 0775 code already has the "skip" functions. It maps them to the "swap" and "move" buttons on the 2116.
So, the only DVR function that doesn't seem to be included in 0775 is "DVR", which I "learned" to the "enter" button.
rtpdoc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: dish 811 upgrade Reply with quote

OK, I hope this is not too stupid of a question but I need a little help. I have successfully upgraded my 15-2117 remote to operate my Dish 811 HD receiver using my JP1 cable and the file, DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994, that garypen had generously listed in the general forum. However, the 15-2117 still will not learn keys from the original remote. So, my question is how do I change or add a function to keys on the 15-2117 using my JP1 cable? The instructions on the, "JP1-Just How Easy Is It?" said to go to the functions key and enter the new code for it, but how do I do that? I apologize if this is such an easy question but I've already spent hours trying to use the KM and IR and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me, STEP BY STEP, how to do this.
Thanks for your attention and assistance in this matter.

rtpdoc
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: dish 811 upgrade Reply with quote

rtpdoc wrote:
... I have successfully upgraded my 15-2117 remote to operate my Dish 811 HD receiver using my JP1 cable and the file, DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994

That means it uses Dishplayer_Network protocol device=0, remote address 1 and there are only these known commands for any Dish device that uses them:

Device=0
OBC
000 Info
001 Discrete On in some models
002 Power
004 1
005 2
006 3
008 4
009 5
010 6
011 Menu
012 7
013 8
014 9
016 Select
017 0
018 Cancel
020 Guide
022 View
023 TV/VCR or SD/HD
024 Right/Browse
026 Up
027 Recall
028 Left/Theme
030 Down
031 Record
032 Pause
033 Stop
036 System Info
037 * (Asterisk)
038 # (Search)
039 Discrete Off in some models
Device=1
003 Play/Back
007 Page Down
015 Page Up
049 REW
050 FFWD
054 Skip Ahead
055 Skip/Menu
057 PVR/PTV

Device 1 is used by certain PVR's for the commands listed.

By process of elimination only these three commands weren't in that upgrade since I don't think the 811 is a PVR:

242 001 Discrete On in some models
142 036 System Info
174 039 Discrete Off in some models

and

176 023 TV/VCR or SD/HD

was there but called TV/VCR. Since the 811 is a HD receiver perhaps you didn't try it.

Quote:
However, the 15-2117 still will not learn keys from the original remote.

My guess is one of three:

1. Bad learning technique
2. Out of learning memory
3. Bad batteries in one or both remotes

1 and 2 are more likely particularly if the OEM remote works.

Quote:
So, my question is how do I change or add a function to keys on the 15-2117 using my JP1 cable? The instructions on the, "JP1-Just How Easy Is It?" said to go to the functions key and enter the new code for it, but how do I do that?

Now that I have posted the EFC's and OBC's for what I think are the missing commands (if you open the device upgrade that you mentioned above you use EFC's), then are those instructions are adequate?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you can't learn from the 811's own remote is, it's RF only. The receiver will accept IR & RF, but the remote is RF only.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: in Jon's reply "certain PVR's" Reply with quote

The only dish PVR's that appear to use the "device=1" for some of the keys seem to be the 721/921 (which are both based on the same code base)

The rest of the PVR/'s and receivers don't use a second device, which makes building upgrades and using the built-in functions substantially easier.
rtpdoc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: DISH PVR/DVR and 811 Tip Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't responded sooner (out of town) but I want to thank everyone for replying to my questions.

Jon_armstrong, you're right...I really didn't need to add any new keys to the upgrade I loaded for the 15-2117 remote to operate the 811 receiver. I guess I really just wanted to reassign a few of the functions to different keys on the remote for the 811 receiver. I tried this using the drop down menus in the "Function" column on the "button" screen in KM (Ex. changed the 'DVR' function to 'menu' for the menu button). I noticed that some of the codes changed in the "Setup" screen. So, I copied these and pasted them to the pop-up screen on the "Devices" tab of the IR file and then downloaded to the remote. However, the function changes I made didn't take. I assume once I get this to work for the 811, I should be able to reassign keys for other devices, once I download the appropriate file from the JP1 upgrade?! (Of course, for the other devices I could always try to reassign functions to keys using the learning function and the original remotes.)

MaskedMan, the 15-2117 remote was able to learn from all of the other original remotes for my other sound system components, including the platinum remote for the DISH 501 PVR receiver, so I just assumed it would learn from the 811 remote too.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: DISH PVR/DVR and 811 Tip Reply with quote

rtpdoc wrote:
... I guess I really just wanted to reassign a few of the functions to different keys on the remote for the 811 receiver. I tried this using the drop down menus in the "Function" column on the "button" screen in KM (Ex. changed the 'DVR' function to 'menu' for the menu button). I noticed that some of the codes changed in the "Setup" screen. So, I copied these and pasted them to the pop-up screen on the "Devices" tab of the IR file and then downloaded to the remote. However, the function changes I made didn't take.

That should work. You might try that again. If it still doesn't work, then save you modified file in KM and save your file (where you attempted the key reassignment) using IR. Zip the two files together and post in the diagnosis area and one of us will take a look. Read the sticky post at the top of the forum about pasting links to the Yahoo group and paste a link when you have uploaded the file.

Quote:
I assume once I get this to work for the 811, I should be able to reassign keys for other devices, once I download the appropriate file from the JP1 upgrade?!

Yes, absolutely!

Quote:
(Of course, for the other devices I could always try to reassign functions to keys using the learning function and the original remotes.)

That would be too horrible to contemplate! Smile Let's keep working the problem until we figure out why it isn't working.
rtpdoc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_Armstrong: Well, I again uploaded the upgrade file for the 15-2117 with the key reassignments I made, but the reassignments still didn't take. I do want to mention that I had made two changes to the setup page on KM for this upgrade file: 1) For the remote field, I selected 15-2117/15-2116 remote instead of the 15-1999 and, 2) I entered a "2" in the Unit code field so my 15-2117 could operate my 811 receiver and not my other DISH receiver.

Where is the Diagnosis Area so I can post the two zipped files there? Also, is the link I'm to paste the web address for this Diagnosis Area?

Thanks again for your patience and help.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is the Diagnosis Area so I can post the two zipped files there?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/

Quote:
Also, is the link I'm to paste the web address for this Diagnosis Area?

You would post a link to that file in a reply to this thread here once you read these instructions.

One question, is the Dish unit you are trying to control already set to remote address 2? You have to do that in some sort of setup routine with the Dish hardware.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - to change the Dish remote address you:

1: turn the receiver off
2: push the system info button on the front of it
3: push the record button on the remote

the ID will be set to the one in the remote control.

That would be my first try. See if the remote id in the remote is different from the one in the receiver by doing this. I've had this bite me a number of times when dealing with Dish remotes.
rtpdoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon__Armstrong: Thanks for the help. Yes, the remote address on the 811 receiver is set at 2. I did this when I got the receiver so the remote would be dedicated to it. The 15-2117 operates the 811 but it is the key reassignments that I made that do not work.

Ok, I have posted the two files in the Diagnosis area.

The links are:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/15-2117upgrade+key_reassig..zip and

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994-last.txt

I don't know if I did this correctly because I previewed this reply and tried the links but the second one gave me this error message, "The requested file or directory is not found on the server."

Sorry about the problems I keep having. Thanks again for the help.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your device upgrade is on the cable device. The menu command does appear to be assigned to the menu button. Did you upload to remote after creating the file Upgrade DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994-last.txt?

If you enter all the data and just save the file it doesn't write that data to the remote's EEPROM unless you "upload" to remote.

You can check that by connecting the JP1 cable to your remote, opening IR, download from remote and look in devices tab. You should see an upgrade for SAT/1775,. Then look at the menu key #21 if the hex is 2C, then someone with a 2116/7 will need to test, because I can't explain that. If it is not 2C, then open DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994-last.txt and upload the file that file to Remote and test.
planopete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: dish 510 and 811 Reply with quote

Well, I have a Dish 510 and a 811. I have a Cinema 7 (URC 7800/6800). I have changed the 811 reciever remote address to 3, and the 510 is 1. I use the setup code 1775 for the 510 and it works fine. I am trying to use the Dishnetwork_301_upgrade_1994.txt to operate the 811. I have changed the setup code on KM to 1811, remote to URC 7800/6800 and changed button code to OBC and unit code to 3. And it doesn't work. I have tried various combinations and nothing works on the 811. When the the remote address was 1 on the 811 the 1775 would control it, but alas the 510 as well.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete in Plano
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: dish 510 and 811 Reply with quote

planopete wrote:
changed button code to OBC

If you're using an exisitng upgrade with functions already defined, you CANNOT change the Button Code setting on the Setup sheet. You must use the [Swap EFC/OBC] button on the Functions sheet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: