JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How does RM list remotes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: How does RM list remotes? Reply with quote

I *thought* that RM lists remotes by the order that they are in the rdf file, but apparantly that's not true.

What I want to do is Have the beginning of the list start with the remotes that I have, not go searching through a long list of extraneous remotes and extenders.

How can we change the order? For example, I'd want to move the 7800, 1994, 2104, Mill4_B00, Mill4_B01_B04 to the beginning of the list. I don't see where it's exactly in some logical order anyway, either alphabetical, etc. since the first one in the drop down menue is the 1994 ex.3; then sometime later is the 1994, and the other 1994 extenders. So, how do we customize the drop-down menue remote order?

Jim
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remotes are currently sorted by name (the part between the parens in the file name).

I've been thinking about adding a choice between listing "All remotes" or only "My remotes", where you could add and remove remotes from your list.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea. I'll consider that YOUR feature request Smile

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I've been thinking about adding a choice between listing "All remotes" or only "My remotes", where you could add and remove remotes from your list.

That's a nice addition, Greg. Wink

I think perhaps the RDF filenames should follow some sort of "official" format. For example, the majority of the RadioShack remotes are called "(RS 15-####...)" while a few are simply "(15-####...)". The same is true for the OFA models "(URC-####...)" vs "(####....)". Then there's the extender for the 601x/801x/881x family thats named "(6012x?...)" which has to confuse at least a few people.

My personal feeling is that the RS models should all be "(15-####...)"; the OFA's should all be "(URC-####...)", etc.

Maybe in an upcoming release, the RDF naming can become standardized? This would go a long way to keeping the list of remotes somewhat organized.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
the 601x/801x/881x family...

While we're at it, the 601x should probably get its own RDF and corresponding image since it's physically different from the 801x/881x.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to have the three remotes share an RDF while using different images?

And just FYI, the 601x and 801x are almost identical, it's the 8811 that's different.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a different RDF for the different physical versions of the 8810 family would be far too confusing, especially since there are already differring eeproms and extenders driving the number of RDFs.

It would be nice to give the user a decent way to specify which image he wants in that case, but please find a better way than multiplying the number of RDFs.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far do we want to take this?

Do we want each model that shares an RDF to be listed separately in the remote drop-down? I think that would be the least confusing and most consistent user experience.

RM takes the names of the remotes from the file name.
Inside the RDF is an entry (ImageMap=) that names the .map file that specifies the image used and the shapes of the buttons.

We could somehow markup the filename so that RM could identify that the RDF represents multiple models.

For example:

Instead of (URC-881x_801x_601x) we could do (URC-[881x|801x|601x])

which would mean there are 3 models defined by this RDF: URC-881x URC-801x, and URC-601x

I would then change the ImageMap= entry so that it would have the same number of map files, and these would correspond to the models positionally.

ImageMap=urc881x.map|urc801x.map|urc601x.map

Thoughts?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along the same lines as Greg. The RDF could be named
(URC-[881x|801x|601x]) and have the 3 maps in the ImageMap like ImageMap=urc881x.map|urc801x.map|urc601x.map as Greg indicated.

All that then leaves is how to select the actual remote. My thought was that the remote selection list would have a seperate entry by the real or descriptive name of the remote like URC-801x, URC-881x, RS 15-2116/2117, RS 15-2116/2117 Extender 1 etc. including the extenders. The remote list would get large but no additional rdf's would be required. It should probably be a panel with radio buttons instead of a pull down. If we wanted to get fancy it could be thumbnails of the remotes but that is pie in the sky.

Either way the list could be built from the names of the maps in the image folder but that would require building a map for each remote and their extenders.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my proposal, each of the three models would appear in the drop-down as a separate remote, so the user would not ever have to choose which image is used.

For example, the user could pick remote URC-801x, which because it is the second remote named in the RDF file name, would use the second imagemap, which is urc810x.map

Last edited by gfb107 on Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me and less complicated. I was not suggesting the user select the image I was just suggesting we use the image names to build the remote list but your way sounds easier.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg

Let me know when you plan a release so I can upload some maps and images.

Chris got me thinking about the image sizes and I realized there really was not a standard image screen size (height and width). So, I went thru all the images and resized them so they were all about the same height around 465 pixels. This change and the sizing that Chris did brings the average image size down ranging 11 to 18K without loosing quality.

I can also start renaming RDF's and images if you wish. Just let me know if the format in the file name will be what you proposed. There is however, one problem with the RDF name you proposed (URC-[881x|801x|601x]) since Windows will not allow the | in a file name so maybe each remote needs to be within []'s like

(URC-[881x][801x][601x])
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get more feedback on this, particularly concerning any impact on IR, before I go any further.

I think standardizing the file names is a good idea, but unfortunately CVS doesn't like renaming. I'll actually have to delete all the old files and create new files, meaning the new files won't have any history. Not a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I agree that it is a good idea to get more feedback.

I did some testing with IR with different file names and it did not seem to cause any impact.

I caught the issue with the renaming so it may be a good idea when we do move ahead to make a complete package of Maps, Images, and RDF's and start fresh.

Once again, let me know when to upload the images and maps that went thru the weight loss program which by the way is all of them.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of rdf's. I noticed two toshiba rdf's both with the same signature. One is for a 128b eeprommed remote, the other for a 2K remote. The 2K version looks to be pretty complete other than being stuck with a generic .map. The 128b one is pretty deplete, ie, no buttonmaps, digitmaps, and protocols sections. Do we have someone who has the remote (the 128b one) who can finish the rdf? What about images? I did see that the fixed data section is different, so IR can apparantly choose the right rdf.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: