JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone used a URC-8800 Nevo WiFi Bridge ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Anyone used a URC-8800 Nevo WiFi Bridge ? Reply with quote

I just spotted a listing for one of these on ebay and was wondering what they're like.

http://www.oneforall.com/urc8800-tablet-remote.html
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one such in December 2013, and still have not really scrutinized it...

It consists of a little box as Ethernet-to-IR gateway (built-in blaster as well as a 3,5mm jack for a stick-on emitter), Ethernet both wired and wireless. Then there is a free Android app that communicates with the box. Just made some simple tests; appears to work ok.

My idea was (and still is Wink ) to reverse-engineer the Ethernet protocol (wireshark etc), to be able to use the box as I want, a sort of low-cost alternative to GlobalCache. Anyone else have tried this, or know of some analysis of the network protocol?

The user assessments on amazon.de are pretty much equally distributed between 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 points...
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Funny thing all the ads and reviews have been around for years, and yet I'd never heard of this at all. If "WE" don't know about it, their marketing is really terrible!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
I
My idea was (and still is Wink ) to reverse-engineer the Ethernet protocol (wireshark etc), to be able to use the box as I want, a sort of low-cost alternative to GlobalCache. Anyone else have tried this, or know of some analysis of the network protocol?

Barf, as you know, for about 5 years now I've been looking for something that can do a timed control of my system. I've been tempted to by a Replay, as Rob has recommended to me in the past, but the size of the box, is just not going to cut it for me.

I would really be interested in understanding this network protocol and programming a solution for my own special interest.

If you decide to do something on this, I'd be very interested in hacking this thing too!

Or maybe this Global Cache thing is something I should be looking at. I would really like a modern/low cost solution to this need to schedule a channel change to my cable box, at given times of day.

I don't mind throwing money at these things once, but I don't want to take on any recurring monthly charges. My DVR's paid for themselves twice over already, but using the one in FL is difficult, because we always forget to change the channel before we go to bed and end up recording infomercials!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf, did you get the channel guide to show up on your tablet, and if so, what is the source of the channel guide? That's one of the features that they advertise for this.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rob,

Just tried it (for Germany/Kabel Deutschland), and my first impression is that it seems to work nicely. I have not yet found the source.

@Vicky,
I am not sure what to answer. Are you looking for a new hobby, or do you just want to get something done? Anyhow, I do not think that you should put to much hope in me (or someone else) reversing the protocol of the Nevo....

With a GlobalCache itachFlex, you can hardly go wrong. You have something that is useful both for "hobby hacking" and real deployment. (There are "tons" of apps of Android and iPhone) And you can use it with IrScrutinizer both for sending and capturing! But it is not "low cost"... If looking for low-cost stuff, you may like to go for Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or the like.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

@Vicky,
I am not sure what to answer. Are you looking for a new hobby, or do you just want to get something done?

I do have a new Nevo C2 to play with, and I still need to look into adding your a tool for me to do LSB MSB Dec Hex conversion to my web site, so I have a tool to do this when I'm on my tablet. But both seem like chores.

I'm looking to get something done, and a new hobby. I'm trying to get myself interested in anything at all. And IR delivered over IP is intriguing! 5 years ago, I bought a $40 Genfen and a $150 8 device selector to retrofit my old stereo receiver instead of a $800 AV receiver. The one thing I could have gotten with that AV receiver, was control from everywhere in the house with the smartphone. It just seems to be a great idea.

Quote:
Anyhow, I do not think that you should put to much hope in me (or someone else) reversing the protocol of the Nevo....

bummer

Quote:

With a GlobalCache itachFlex, you can hardly go wrong. You have something that is useful both for "hobby hacking" and real deployment. (There are "tons" of apps of Android and iPhone) And you can use it with IrScrutinizer both for sending and capturing! But it is not "low cost"... If looking for low-cost stuff, you may like to go for Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or the like.

I'm looking for something that over time, will pay for itself, and can get the job done. The biggest issue I have is that turning the cable box to the correct channel so that my DVR can do its job. Realize that to rent that box, its 15.95 a month, or at least that was the price in 2011. So a payback period of 1 year is $180. Low cost is something that can beat that cost over a 2 year lifespan.

At my other location, I'd like a phone app so that we could control the stereo in the living room that controls the sound throughout the house. So if you are in the garage, down the basement, or on the porch you can change the source of the sound without traipsing back through the house.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

I do have a new Nevo C2 to play with

that is a completely different animal than the "bridge" ....

Quote:

and I still need to look into adding your a tool for me to do LSB MSB Dec Hex conversion to my web site

The source is available on Github (here); making the Java proggie it into an applet should not be really hard

Quote:

, so I have a tool to do this when I'm on my tablet.

... neither should a port to Android be very hard.

Quote:

I'm looking to get something done, and a new hobby. I'm trying to get myself interested in anything at all. And IR delivered over IP is intriguing! 5 years ago, I bought a $40 Genfen and a $150 8 device selector to retrofit my old stereo receiver instead of a $800 AV receiver. The one thing I could have gotten with that AV receiver, was control from everywhere in the house with the smartphone. It just seems to be a great idea.

Yes, a great idea!

Quote:

Quote:
Anyhow, I do not think that you should put to much hope in me (or someone else) reversing the protocol of the Nevo....

bummer

Let me explain somewhat more verbosely. "Cracking" the protocol takes time, and before it can be used, reliably used, Even if it can be used "experimentally", it may not be very reliable, and in particular not very user friendly. But, feel free to Google to see if someone has tried it before, and if there is something we can use.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

I do have a new Nevo C2 to play with

that is a completely different animal than the "bridge" ....

Yeah, I got that, Laughing But maybe someone else reading the thread might be confused.

Quote:

Quote:

and I still need to look into adding your a tool for me to do LSB MSB Dec Hex conversion to my web site

The source is available on Github (here); making the Java proggie it into an applet should not be really hard

Quote:

, so I have a tool to do this when I'm on my tablet.

... neither should a port to Android be very hard.

Not hard for you, but VERY hard for me. But I really need to do something hard. I haven't learned anything in a long time, and it gets really boring.....

Overcoming inertia and self directing myself is not my strength.

Thank you for the code. I copied it down to my work area so I won't have to search for it.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Not hard for you, but VERY hard for me. But I really need to do something hard. I haven't learned anything in a long time, and it gets really boring.....

That is the right approach! I wish you good luck! Very Happy
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a current product? Is it available in the USA? Or, is it another abandoned product? I wouldn't mind exploring it a bit, but pouring effort into something that very few people might own and fewer still might desire doesn't seem worth it.

In regards to hacking the Global Cache - at THIS LINK I found post 3 interesting where the author says:
Quote:
, the GC 100 that I use (with an ipod Touch) just translates TCPIP to IR or serial so anything that can output data over TCPIP can use it with the correct software.
Of course this doesn't necessarily imply that "the correct software" exists.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:

In regards to hacking the Global Cache...

... hacking the GlobalCache?? These good guys make the complete API available for download here Not too much of a hackers challenge there. BTW, in the context of IrScrutinizer, I have Java classes that makes uses of it very simple, GPL software available on my Github repository.

Btw, with (e.g.) my Arduino firmware you can make a functionally equivalent thing from an Arduino with Ethernet. GlobalCache emulation is planned.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
Is this a current product? Is it available in the USA? Or, is it another abandoned product? I wouldn't mind exploring it a bit, but pouring effort into something that very few people might own and fewer still might desire doesn't seem worth it.

I don't know how current it is, but you can still get them on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322034610919
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pick up one of these off ebay. I didn't realize the "bargain" didn't come with the ir emitter.

I need to know what to buy to plug into the ir out slot

but.... I may never get that far when I loaded the one-for-all app and then the one-for-all.sdk onto my android, my android became unstable. I get half way through the getting started preview and my tablet turns off. This happens repeatedly. Not sure how to troubleshoot an android.....

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to amazon.com and search for "ir emitter" you will get several results including This one emitter version and this one with 3 emitters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: