JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Figuring out the OFA URC7980
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jts321835

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Remotes typically have a couple more buttons in their internal button map than are actually on the remote. These non-physical buttons we call phantoms. You can't make your own if they do not already exist in the remote. Since you assigned your macro to a real button, then it's not a phantom. The name for it is missing from the RDF.

Which physical button did you assign that macro to?

The macro is embedded into an activity there is a watch tv activity button which controls the sound bar and sat box when in that activity, however you can also embed a macro in the watch tv activity so when it is initially executed it will in turn launch the macro, in my instance switch the Tv on change input on the tv, I have the discrete code programmed to a key on the audio device as it has very few keys on the original remote, then turn the sound bar on and set its input to optical as it could be on aux or Bluetooth.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@3FG,

Grasping at straws, but could the remote be adding $40 to the activity button code to point to the associated activity macro, similar to the way shift works?
jts321835

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
@3FG,

Grasping at straws, but could the remote be adding $40 to the activity button code to point to the associated activity macro, similar to the way shift works?

Can I assist in any way with proving or disproving that chain of thought?
yaworski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's connected to the way activity is selected on 7980. There's only one physical Activity button which toggles between one of 5 available activities. When there's a macro associated to an activity it's executed few seconds after selecting specific activity.

Maybe the phantom button 68 (dec) is just an internal representation of the Watch TV activity.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts321835 wrote:
mdavej wrote:
@3FG,

Can I assist in any way with proving or disproving that chain of thought?
Sure

@yaworski

Could be. Would it be worthwhile for jts to add macros to every activity?
jts321835

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thing is the watch TV activity is called button68, the listen to music activity key is called Xshift-2 and the custom is called Xshift-ch+ according to RMIR.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're on the right track. Shift and Xshift typically add $40 or $80 to the original button code. $28 doesn't exist, so it showed up as button68. Key 2 is $29, so rather than button69, it shows up as Xshift-2 (or whatever the Xshift bit turns out to be).
jts321835

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it help if I report back on all the activity keys?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7980, and I'll work on it tonight. I'm pretty sure these "buttons" name the activities.
jts321835

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 3FG, it's 1.20am here so off to bed, pleas let me know if there is anything I can do to assist in test & dev.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a possible improvement to the RDF file: Under [Buttons], after the line
TV=$E0:groupDevice,STB,BLU,AUD,DVD,GAME,MEDIA,S.BAR,
Replace the existing WatchTV line with
Code:
WatchTV=$68:groupActivity,ListenToMusic,WatchMovie,PlayGame,Custom
For me, that provided a correct description of the macro, and allowed me to write macros which are defined on a Activity mode.

About the Pause executor, it looks like so far RMIR is not able to parse the TI2541 executors correctly, so we'll need to wait for mathdon.
jts321835

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Here's a possible improvement to the RDF file: Under [Buttons], after the line
TV=$E0:groupDevice,STB,BLU,AUD,DVD,GAME,MEDIA,S.BAR,
Replace the existing WatchTV line with
Code:
WatchTV=$68:groupActivity,ListenToMusic,WatchMovie,PlayGame,Custom
For me, that provided a correct description of the macro, and allowed me to write macros which are defined on a Activity mode.

About the Pause executor, it looks like so far RMIR is not able to parse the TI2541 executors correctly, so we'll need to wait for mathdon.

Thanks that works perfectly Smile
jts321835

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably jumping the gun a bit but keen to get my setup configured perminantly, do we think this remote will ever get toad tog functionality or am I better of getting an alternative remote?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, here is a special version of 2.04 Build 6 which allows RMIR to recognize TI2541 executors. With this jar file, the Pause executor is enabled. Overwrite RemoteMaster.jar and Protocols.ini with the ones in this zip file. Also included is an updated RDF file that has the correct executor variants listed. I tested that the Pause function works when embedded in a macro.

Now, about Toadtogs. The traditional way to achieve this capability is through an extender. The URC7980 is a new remote and it is the first to use the TI CC2541 processor, so we are some ways away from an extender, assuming that the remote becomes popular enough to justify writing one.

However, do you really need Toadtogs? I assume that you're hoping to combine a component that doesn't have discrete on/off commands with others that do. These days, components which lack discrete power commands are typically PVRs. And, in most cases, the act of turning one of these off is illusory: Turning one "off" may only blank the front panel display. I didn't believe this when I first read about it, so on our cable boxes I used a AC clip-on ammeter to measure the current draw and found no measurable difference between on and off. I suppose the units need to be basically on all the time to handle recording at odd hours, and perhaps to communicate with the provider. Of course, any component which can be turned on by IR command has not actually been fully off else it wouldn't be able to respond.

So I just leave the cable boxes on, and all the rest of our gear has discrete power commands. Note that even if the unit lacks a discrete power command, it frequently is possible to simulate discrete power by e.g. issuing a Play command to turn on a DVR or Bluray, and Play-Toggle Power to turn one off.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we also have Toadtog as a stand alone special protocol? So, if someone were to try re-writing it in TI CC2541 assembler, it would in theory be possible to add it.

But I agree with Dave's general point, I only installed Toadtog relatively recently and was able to use macros to turn everything on and off just fine, it just takes some careful planning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: