JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IRScrutinizer bug and question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: IRScrutinizer bug and question Reply with quote

Hi Barf,
Could you try opening the following Lirc file using IRScrutinizer please:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13922

You will see that it gives an error, this is because one of the button labels includes a "|". Would it be possible to add something to IRScrutinzer to handle this character?

And now the question, once that Lirc file is loaded, is it possible to use the Eport function to generate an rmdu file? And if so, how do you do it.

This came from the following thread, in case you're interested...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16949
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
nice to find you as IrScrutinizer user! Razz
Quote:
You will see that it gives an error, this is because one of the button labels includes a "|"
I am not sure if I consider your problem a "bug". The problem is that the exact format of the Lirc configuration files is not very well defined, in particular what characters are allowed in names. The Lirc tools for generating files, at least in the past, allowed the user to pass "everything". So I would argue that the very file is probably "not conforming", and the reject by IrScrutinizer is justified.

More technically, the parser is done using a "real" grammar and the parser generator antlr3, as opposed to Lirc. In that, the bar (|) is a token that separates options in some flags. So allowing that character, which is already a token, into the token NAME is, at least, quite complicated. (No, I am not quite happy with this...)

Quote:
is it possible to use the Eport function to generate an rmdu file

No, it is not possible and also not planned. Instead, I prefer the path of this work, exporting the file in IrScrutinizer's native format Girr, and instead teaching RM to import that instead. Rationale is given in the link. (It is the mapping between protocols and executors again...)
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I made this an issue at Github. But do not expect a fix very soon.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With version 1.2 of IrScrutinizer, both issues has been fixed. The Lirc parser has been completely rewritten. A reasonably complete (but "dumb" in the sense of deferring the hard parts to the user) RemoteMaster export has been implemented, see this.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the import function works now with that file. However, I can't figure out how to export an rmdu file, whenever I try it keeps generating a girr file.

Also, when I first tried, I realized that I didn't remember the brand name, so I hit cancel, however it kept going through all of the other items, even though I hit cancel on all of them too, so it seems like the cancel button doesn't work.

Also, just a suggestion, rather than having a half dozen or so popups asking for brand and model, etc, could these all just be in one popup?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I can confirm that the import function works now with that file. However, I can't figure out how to export an rmdu file, whenever I try it keeps generating a girr file.

In the Export pane, in "Export format" (the pulldown menu) select RemoteMaster.

Quote:

Also, when I first tried, I realized that I didn't remember the brand name, so I hit cancel, however it kept going through all of the other items, even though I hit cancel on all of them too, so it seems like the cancel button doesn't work.

You can turn it off alltogether by deselecting Options -> Export Options -> Inquire Device Metadata.

Quote:

Also, just a suggestion, rather than having a half dozen or so popups asking for brand and model, etc, could these all just be in one popup?

Agree 100%, pesky in particular if you do not care for it, or if the export format does not use it. Actually, it is already on my TODO list
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok, I assumed you had to use the Export button, ok, so I switched to the Export pane and selected RemoteMaster from the drop down, now what? There are 4 Export buttons to chose from, none of which with a name that sounds obvious. Randomly, I tried the Export Generated button and it did create an RMDU file, but when I opened it in RM there was only 1 function, so I probably did something wrong, just not sure what.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Ah, ok, I assumed you had to use the Export button,

(on the Scrutinize remote pane). It uses the "currently selected format", so if you first select your export format (RemoteMaster), it will work for you.

Quote:
ok, so I switched to the Export pane and selected RemoteMaster from the drop down, now what? There are 4 Export buttons to chose from, none of which with a name that sounds obvious.

You want to use "Export param. remote" button. "Export signal" exports the (single) signal on "Scrutinize signal", "Export raw remote" the signals on Scrutnize remote -> Raw Remote, "Export generated" the content of the "Generate" pane. See also the tutorial (which, BTW, was written by your request).

Normally, I put "tooltext" help on such buttons. I see that I have forgotten it here. Will fix. Thanx for reminding me.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just checked irscrutinizer web page and it said that one can export from ircrutinizer many file formats, including ict and rmdu. If that is the case, I would like to flash back my ir toy from ir widget mode to its original firmware.

After all, I have already got a ir widget on hand.

Thanks.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@chuliu:
File formats and capuring hardware are two different pair of shoes; they are not related. Yes, it is a good idea to flash the IrToy FW; be sure to use firmware 2.2. That allows you to use the IrToy also for sending.

If your soldering iron needs excercise, here is a fun modding project.

@Rob:
No news is good news, I presume?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to play with it again. I will report back.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned that one can use many kinds of hardware with irscrutinizer, including irtoy, ir widget, global cache, arduino, and lirc.

I was under the impression that it worked best with ir toy.

Anyway, it is indeed good to flash it back to ir toy so that I can use it for sending ir signal, just as an option. I will need to look for a short wire, or jumper.

Here is a guide to use irscrutinizer:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=IrScrutinizer_Guide
Just for the reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: