JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Raspberry PI as a JP1 programmer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattbatt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Raspberry PI as a JP1 programmer Reply with quote

I will first of all admit I have no idea what I'm talking about so please tell me why I'm stupid just not that I am.
I have a need to reprogram my old RCU810 and realized that I don't have printer port anymore, and being a cheapskate I don't want to pay $20 to program this remote once.
I looked at my Raspberry PI with all it's GPIO pins and wondered if it were possible to make a GPIO to JP1 adapter?
I have no idea how any of this actually works I just follow the guides but it seems reasonable.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun project, but a huge undertaking. The GPIO ports could probably bit bang just like the old EEPROM interface. But you also have to consider that your program will have to process whatever file IR spits out, so that's quite a bit of code there as well plus time to debug. And you'd have to do some circuit design to get the voltages right. That many hours of effort is worth more than $20 to me.

I'd recommend just buying a new JP1 remote that comes with a USB cable. They start at $15.

Realize that you can also do a lot of programming on the 810 itself without a cable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, add a parallel port to your current PC for $4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221799857590
mattbatt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I Acutally have 2 Acoustic Research ARRX15G and I recently bought a Nevo C2 so I am very familiar with the USB varietals but My trusty 810 doesn't have buttons that fail and is slightly more SAF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: