JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteMaster v0.96a now available!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: RemoteMaster v0.96a now available! Reply with quote

I've built and released RemoteMaster v0.96a

Changes for v0.96a
- Fix RDF parsing error
- RM Images and Maps v1.16

Links:
RemoteMaster.v0.96a.zip
Release Notes and Change Log (also included in the ZIP file)
Installation Instructions (also in the Readme.html included in the ZIP file)
The RemoteMaster project home page.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh, thats better
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else experience problems getting this file?

Around 7pm EST Friday I cannot download from any of the mirrors. They just give up after about 30 seconds with "Page cannot be loaded"

Sad
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickety wrote:
Has anyone else experience problems getting this file?

Around 7pm EST Friday I cannot download from any of the mirrors. They just give up after about 30 seconds with "Page cannot be loaded"

Sad

Ibiblio (North Carolina) worked for me just now, but Aleron (Reston, VA) didn't. U of Minnesota seemed to be 50/50 for me. I'd recommend you keep trying UMn or Ibiblio.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I persevered and got a reasonable download from Keihanna
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time getting it too, but I did eventually get it from Ibiblio also. At any rate, I have loaded a copy on my site, so of you can't get it from sorceforge, get it here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/tools/RemoteMaster.v0.96a.zip
DGG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, the same problem I was having last week with 0.96 (and that you fixed in 0.96a) has reappeared in a slightly different scenario.

I maintain a private version of the RDF files (to relabel logical devices for special protocols, etc.) for use with IR/RM. Unfortunately, when I last updated one of them, I introduced an error. Today, when I attempted to load an upgrade that used the faulty RDF, RM wouldn't load that upgrade. No error message. Just no action. Couldn't start RM from the .rmdu file either and, again, no error message. I then restarted RM by clicking on its icon and recreated the preferred remote list that had been deleted when I deleted the properties file while troubleshooting 0.96. Still no action or error message. It was not until I tried to manually select the remote that used the faulty RDF (in the "Remote" field) that I got an error message - in fact, I then got a whole page of error messages - like last week. An error message earlier would have been helful.

Also, but this may not be a surprise to you, I then re-introduced the error to see what would happen - which was nothing. RM used the faulty RDF without objection. I didn't explore further to see what I could do with the faulty RDF (which likely wouldn't have been much).

Incidentally, I also managed to wipe out, and had to recreate, a couple of upgrade files over the past week or two. What I think happened was this. With the past few releases of RM, I have, at times, had difficuly starting RM - same symptoms as above (i.e., no error message, just a refusal to load an upgrade). When that happened, the data from the previous upgrade was deleted but the name of the previous upgrade was still shown in the "Description" field. I then attempted to close RM and, of course, was asked if I wished to save the upgrade. I suspect I unintentionally responded "yes" to one of those requests. With that, a perfectly good upgrade disappeared. So, not only was no error message generated to explain the failure to load another upgrade, but RM apparently hadn't recorded the fact that it was then dealing with a new, albeit faulty, upgrade.

Hope this makes sense to you.
Don
DGG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post of last evening, I have also noted that if one attempts to change the remote type for an existing upgrade, any existing x-shifted button assignments in that upgrade are deleted - even if the two RDF's involved are identical except for name. Nothing else seems to change - unless there should be a blank line in the [Buttons] section of the RDF file, in which case the displayed button names of all buttons after the blank line become "Button" followed by that button's button number in hex. This latter situation doesn't seem to generate any error mesage.

I'm not sure these situations are of any practical significance, but I thought you might like to know.

Don
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to add more error messages for when RM encounters an error loading an RDF. RM really wasn't designed to be used with RDFs edited by the user.

The RDFs aren't really meant to be edited in the way you seem to be doing. RDFs aren't supposed to have blank lines except in between sections.

Having said, that, any time you see a situation in which RM appears to be failing, either by not responding or by doing something unexpected, check rmaster.err for error messages.

Losing the XShifted button assignments when switching remotes is a bug.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
DGG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RM really wasn't designed to be used with RDFs edited by the user.
The readme file for the 8910 Extender suggests editing the RDF to substitute special protocol names in place of logical device names. I find the practice useful. I haven't checked any other readme files but I'm sure I've read similar suggestions elsewhere as well in JP1 documentation/forums. Maybe a general caution somewhere indicating that faulty RDFs can cause unexpected behaviour without associated error messages in RM (and I presume also in KM) is in order.

Quote:
The RDFs aren't really meant to be edited in the way you seem to be doing. RDFs aren't supposed to have blank lines except in between sections.
The blank line was not intentional. I don't know how it got there. (But, that being said, I'm the only one who edited the file).

Quote:
Having said, that, any time you see a situation in which RM appears to be failing, either by not responding or by doing something unexpected, check rmaster.err for error messages.
Will do!
Don
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg does not even like it when I edit the RDF's and I maintain them Laughing

And, just a hint... 99 out of 100 times if there is a problem starting or restarting RM if you delete the following 2 entries from the "RemoteMaster.properties" file it will start fine.

Remote.name=
    Remote.signature=

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: