JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KM file won't load in RM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: KM file won't load in RM Reply with quote

The following KM file won't load in RM
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13906

When you try to load it, it throws the message:
No protocol found with name="RC5/6 Combo" for remote "RS 15-1994 6-in-1 Smart"

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't test this, as all links and both upgrades with the same name now point to the .rmdu file. However, it looks as if the error lies in protocols.ini, where the protocol is named "RC5/6 combo" with a small "c" and the Java method that RMIR uses in the search doesn't do ignore-case matching.

I take this to be an error in protocols.ini as other combo executors use an upper case C in the name. It isn't trivial to change RMIR to ignore case in this matching, but subject to 3FG's view I suggest re-naming the protocol "RC5/6 Combo" and adding an entry

Code:
OldNames=RC5/6 combo

to cope with upgrades created with a lower case c.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I posted the wrong URL, I just replaced it with the right URL.

I just tried changing the name of the RC5/6 Combo entry in protocols.ini and while the message has gone away, the file still doesn't load. This is one of those cases where we had to use spaces in the byte2 column to separate multiple entries there, I don't know if that's part of the problem.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to jp1-master, there are only 3 KM files that use the RC5/6 Combo protocol, so I just replaced them all with RMDU files.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
This is one of those cases where we had to use spaces in the byte2 column to separate multiple entries there, I don't know if that's part of the problem.

It certainly is part of the problem. I know nothing about KM, but I've loaded the .txt file into KM to have a look at the data. The construction of byte 2 seems to be an ad hoc one for this protocol that is presumably specially handled within the KM code. The equivalent for RM is a custom importer in protocols.ini, or possibly two custom importers, one for device parameters and one for command ones, like those already present in the entry for the RC-5/5x Combo protocol. As you have already converted the three upgrades concerned to .rmdu files, I don't think it seems worth the effort to create such importers, do you?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not worth doing anything further with it. I was going to suggest using the hex code instead, but KM doesn't save it.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I know nothing about KM, but I've loaded the .txt file into KM to have a look at the data. The construction of byte 2 seems to be an ad hoc one for this protocol that is presumably specially handled within the KM code.
KM was state-of-the-art at one time! Wink Pretty amazing what Rob, myself, and others were able to do with what started out as a simple spreadsheet and turned into a monster.

Sometimes when I'm bored I open it up and have a look under the hood. Then I ask myself "how did I do that?" or "why did I do that?". Surprised
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking under the hood, wow, I can't even imagine doing that now. KM is like one of those old mainframe systems that have been around for years and have had countless modifications. There's probably all sort of stuff in there that, if I was doing it from scratch, I would do differently. But when it started we had no idea where it was going to end up.

It started out as a single spreadsheet for VCR mode in the 15-1994, then I cloned it for each of the other modes of that remote, then I did the same for the Cinema 7 (anyone remember that remote?) and then I combined them all into one, hence the "master" tag.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob asked:
Quote:
...the Cinema 7 (anyone remember that remote?)
Of course! I found your instructions on manual programming that really made the remote useful. Then later I added the pins, built the simple interface. I have never been without some sort of JP1 remote since. That Cinema 7 had one of the best button layouts ever.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indirectly, the Cinema 7 got me into JP1 too. Back in 2000 there was a DVD player called the Apex AD600A, which had a secret menu that would let you play DVDs with a different region code, and there was a web site that supported it (gone now, it was nerd-out.com) and there was a link there that said the remote codes had been found. When I followed the link it explained about advanced codes and how you could use them to re-program the TV/0030 code to work the Apex on the Cinema 7, and one of the posts asked about a Radio Shack remote that had the same capabilities, and I realized that I had that remote (the 15-1994) and voila! Actually, that just got me into OFA remotes, JP1 came a little later when HWHackr revealed how to talk to the 6-pin in a post on Remote Central. Oct 2000 that was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: