JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vizio Soundbar won't go to the correct input with Nevo C2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitbret

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Vizio Soundbar won't go to the correct input with Nevo C2 Reply with quote

Vizio SB4051-C0 soundbar is giving me fits.

The inputs on the soundbar are ordered as follows:
1 - Aux (Stereo RCA)
2 - Aux (3.5mm RCA)
3 - Digital Input 1 (Digital Coaxial)
4 - Digital Input 2 (Optical Audio)
5 - HDMI
6 - HDMI-ARC
7 - USB
Bluetooth

I did the initial setup via EZ-RC, entering my devices and creating my activities. Everything looked good on screen. The activity for Watch TV says "Digital Input 2" but when I switch to that activity, the soundbar gets stuck at Digital Input 1 (per the silence and the LED indicator on the soundbar). I have noticed that in RMIR that Digital Input 1 and Digital Input 2 never seem to coexist. That is, if I create or setup one, the other disappears. Nor does it matter which one is learned since the soundbar always defaults to Digital Input 1, regardless of what the settings say.

As a workaround, I created a Learned Signal that should correspond the <Input> button on the remote to scrolling through the inputs on the Soundbar but even after it is programmed, the input button does nothing whether by activity or device.

I hope to replace my Harmony 700 with the C2 and it has no problem switching to the correct input so there has got to be something I can do to fix this.

Can anyone walk me through what I am missing or point me in the right direction?
jeajea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your Rmir file to the diagnostic area

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=35
smitbret

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the look and any advice:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13875
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody doesn't beat me to it, I tracked down what are likely the correct OBCs for your soundbar inputs below. It appears the default code for Digital Input 2 is wrongly the code for Digital Input 1.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?keywords=7368

Here are the correct OBCs:

177 - Aux 1 (Stereo RCA)
178 - Aux 2 (3.5mm RCA)
201 - Digital Input 1 (Digital Coaxial)
200 - Digital Input 2 (Optical Audio)
161 - USB
34 - Bluetooth
68 - Input Incremental

Long story short, on Devices tab, select the Soundbar device and Edit. On the Functions tab, change the OBC for Digital Input 2 from 201 to 200, OK. That should do it. You may want to go back and fix the others as well as add Digital Input 1 by clicking New on the Functions tab where you changed the OBC. If you want it to show up on the LCD, go to the Buttons tab and drag and drop the functions you want to see onto the buttons of your choice. Click Page+/- to change to the next/previous page of buttons.

You can delete your learned command.
smitbret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked great. Thanks for the assist. Thanks to the tip I was able to map out all of the input code for the TV and Soundbar.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking! I have a new Vizio SB4551-D5 that uses the mini remote (11 buttons). The discrete codes shown here, work on mine, and I am in the process (slowly) of discovering the other discretes by learning what the remote sends in different circumstances.

Basically when you press Menu on the remote, it shows in the screen the type of function it is set to do. Bass, Treble etc and you can step through those functions with the cursor-up and cursor-down. Once you have selected (in the LCD) the function, then the cursor-left is the "down" (or minus or Off) and cursor-right is the "up" (or plus or On). Based on the function selected therefore, the remote sends different OBC/EFC with those cursor buttons. With some time and some luck I have discovered several of the discretes. Once I have completed the ones I want, then I will post an upgrade.

I am interested in case anyone has also been playing with this and got any already captured and a sharable file.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if it works like you say. I think you have the wrong idea about how the Vizio remote works. When you cursor up/down though the menus, different codes are not sent from the remote. Only up/down codes are sent. So your proposed OBC search method will not work.

The way to do an OBC/EFC search is to simply try every EFC from 000-255 and see what happens. To do this on a Nevo, you'd make 4 RMDU files consisting of OBCs 0-70, 71-140, 141-210 and 211-255, roughly. If you have an older style JP1 remote, you can do this by simply tapping Setup followed by the EFC. Takes about 15 minutes to try every possible code manually on such a remote.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mdavej I appreciate your input and advice. However, I surmised what was happening with the Vizio remote by covering the transmitter while selecting Bass, Treble etc and uncovering it when sending the Cursor-right cursor-left codes. The Vizio happily accepted the changes to the correct function (Base Treble etc). In addition, there is no way for the remote to sync or resync with the Soundbar as it always starts where the remote left off, but I can change the selected function in the office and yet come back to the TV room and change the values of the newly selected function.

There is a phone app that shows the current state of the Audio settings, so I can test a code and see it affect the Soundbar on my phone.

Thanks again, I will post the file when finished. I have a few more to test.

Rick
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

The way to do an OBC/EFC search is to simply try every EFC from 000-255 and see what happens. To do this on a Nevo, you'd make 4 RMDU files consisting of OBCs 0-70, 71-140, 141-210 and 211-255, roughly. If you have an older style JP1 remote, you can do this by simply tapping Setup followed by the EFC. Takes about 15 minutes to try every possible code manually on such a remote.

Again mdavej thanks for the suggestion. I have avoided doing that method so far as the SB is working with my system and I do not want to accidentally "reset to manufacturing" nor unpair BT devices like phone and SubWoofer.

So I am just learning the codes I want to have on the Nevo so that in general use the Nevo is primary. I don't mind digging out the original remote (or use the Phone app) to pair a new device etc, but wanted the master remote in a spouse-friendly-mode so it can be readily used to manage the normal viewing and listening.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fully understand how an IR remote could possibly work that way, but I'm glad it does. I'm looking forward to seeing you file.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This file: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13507 works fine with my Vizio soundbar and has all the functions you should want.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't fully understand how an IR remote could possibly work that way, but I'm glad it does. I'm looking forward to seeing you file.
It's an interesting remote. When not in Menu mode, all buttons send a code except "Menu". When you press "Menu" no code is sent, but a one line LCD lights up to show which mode the cursor buttons are in. Up and Down cycle through 14 modes. In each mode the Right and Left will control the function shown on the LCD. In Menu mode the Up & Down do not send anything, Right & Left send the code appropriate to the mode shown on the LCD.

It sounds complicated, but is pretty natural after you use it a time or two. The file I linked in my earlier post has the codes sent in all modes. The sound bar does have discrete input codes, but not discrete On/Off. I had to use a quick Vol-, Vol+ DSM to simulate Discrete ON.
rickety

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pH7_jp1 - I cannot believe I missed that when checking files for something. It is virtually identical to what I discovered - and you have a few more than I was going to bother with.

I did notice a couple of irregularities that you may not have realised.

Surround On is actually OBC 35 -you must have been a bit slow in capturing it, and the button had reverted to "Next" OBC 139 Very Happy

My SB has two preset Equalisations of Music (OBC 102) and Movie (103)

Mine can also Pair with BT devices to provide input, and BT Pair (OBC 111) puts the SB in the pairing mode.

There is also the Input incremental - i.e. Next Input (OBC=68) which I will probably put in my file

Mine does not have two Aux inputs. They dispensed with the RCA input and provide an RCA - 3.5mm adapter; but there is only one analog now.

I will probably add the adjustments and upload my file with the model number of my device

Thanks again for pointing out that file when you did, I just wish I'd seen it a day or two ago. Rolling Eyes My Nevo does not seem to capture too well so it often took a few attempts for some of the codes.

Last edited by rickety on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickety

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with pH7_jp1 that the remote is very intuitive once you realise what it is doing. It does mean you need to look at the LCD to select some things, but the frequent use items (Vol, mute, etc) are dedicated buttons

The disadvantage is that the LCD is not particularly "bright" and is not backlit.

rick
rickety

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded my file

Vizio SB4551-D5
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: