JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR543 not working so great?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hostage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: IR543 not working so great? Reply with quote

I bought a IR543 and I already had some X-10s appliance modules that I haven't used in years. It seems finicky it works sometimes, other times it doesn't. Both the controller and the units are set for A and I have the channel set to 1. I have the controller and one of the appliance modules on the same circuit. Is there anything I could be doing to mess this up?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use an IR543 and X10 units and they all work fine.

Sometimes it matters which outlet things are plugged into to. For example, in my living room I have two side units with internal lights and I have them both plugged into X10 units, but when I do all lights on or off from the remote, one of them works and the other doesn't, but when I do it from one of the wired control units, they both respond.

The other thing to note with lights is that you need at least one incandescent bulb in the circuit, you can't have them all be CFLs.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue I had with my IR543 was that it was very sensitive to RF noise from other devices. I had to keep it well away from everything else in my rack or it would lock up (solid LED and unresponsive).

If you're having phase issues, moving to different outlets as Rob said, should solve that. Otherwise, install a phase coupler. I still have an X10 phase coupler somewhere, but never had the massive gonads required to install it.
hostage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AV rack is a couple feet away from my HVAC unit. As I have the x10 devices on the same circuit a phase coupler should be unneeded. I do have a central VAC plugged into the same circuit as this as well as the dehumidifier. Though the vac is seldom used and not in use when I am watching a movie. The X10 controller is surrounded by electrical AV components, though all are on when I need it and when it works, it works well, when it doesn't it doesn't at all.

I am thinking I should have gone with something like this, though I didn't see this, until after I bought the controller:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WV7GMA2/

I could use my 12v Trigger on the projector and plug the dehumidifier into the "always on". For only $18 it seems like the best solution. Then I just dump all my X10 stuff on ebay.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the modern equivalent to X10 these days? I used to use an X10 switch to control a particular set of lights in my living room, but it burned out as the lights were drawing too much power. Just wondering what I could replace it with.
hostage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of them, I did read some where that some of the new ones aren't backwards compatible with X10. Though Mdavej knows a hell of a lot more than I'll even know about X10.

Just an update it looks like that the lights (LED and CFL) that light the room might be causing some problems. It works better when they are both off. I don't think there is a realistic way I can avoid these problems w/o installing a bunch of noise filters. It seems that the 12v relay might be the best way to go, I might unload all of my X10 on ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: