JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Merge RMIR file into settings.bin for Simpleset remote ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooperfed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Merge RMIR file into settings.bin for Simpleset remote ? Reply with quote

I am using RMIR to program my simpleset OARUSB04G remote. I have already set it up using the extender v1.04, and everything is working great.

The problem is that I am on Linux, so I cannot download or upload directly from the remote. I work around this by customizing the settings.bin file, and copying it onto the remote via Windows 8 in VirtualBox.

The problem is that the settings.bin file does not retain any of the comments or device upgrade details. If I build an RMIR file, I cannot convert it into settings.bin without the Upload feature, which seems to be the only place where we can merge an existing settings.bin with the current rmir file.

So I was wondering if there was a feature that would let me do the following:
1. Open up an rmir file for the remote.
2. Merge in the extra data from the current settings.bin file (which I can manually copy from the device).
3. Make changes, then save as a settings.bin file.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to save a RMIR configuration to a Simpleset binary file, at Step 3 click File, Save As, and select the type as "Simpleset file (*.bin)". Then do another Save As, this time saving it as a RMIR file in order to keep track of your changes.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooperfed wrote:
So I was wondering if there was a feature that would let me do the following:
1. Open up an rmir file for the remote.
2. Merge in the extra data from the current settings.bin file (which I can manually copy from the device).
3. Make changes, then save as a settings.bin file.

I don't think 3FG's reply fully answers your question, as I think your real issue is how to do step 2, merge a settings.bin file and a .rmir file without connecting to a remote.

I don't think you can do quite what you ask, i.e. open a .rmir file and then merge in data from a settings.bin file. But I'm not even sure if this is what you want to do. What the upload process for a .rmir file does is, behind the scenes, download the settings.bin file from the remote, merge in the .rmir file and then upload the resulting settings.bin file back to the remote. What you want to do is this as three separate steps. You can do the copying of the settings.bin file to and from the remote with VirtualBox but don't know how to do the merge.

Here's how to do it.

1. Open RMIR and select Remote > Interface > JPS from the menu bar.
2. In the dialog that opens, select the "Other" radio button and in the text box at its side, enter the full path of the settings.bin file.
3. Click OK.

RMIR will now treat that settings.bin file as if it were the remote, so you can use the Download and Upload buttons as if the PC was connected to the remote. Check that the path is correct by doing Download from the toolbar or menu. You don't need this, but it is a necessary check. In RMIR, now open the .rmir file you want to edit or merge. Do anything you want to this, then save it again as a .rmir file for future use. Now do an Upload, just as if the remote were connected. This will merge your .rmir file into the settings.bin file, ready for you to copy back to the remote.

That interface setting is persistent, so when you next open RMIR, all you need to do is open your .rmir file, edit it, save the result (as a .rmir file again) and press the Upload button. This will update your settings.bin file ready for you to copy it back to the remote with VirtualBox.
cooperfed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.. I didn't know you could use a physical file as a type of Remote interface.

Download does work. However, this just wipes out all the details from the rmir file: all the comments, and details about each device upgrade. It seems to be equivalent to just opening up the settings.bin file directly.

I tried using the Upload feature from the rmir file, and it gives a perhaps overly cautious error:

"RMIR does not yet support writing directly to a Simpleset remote in Linux."

So I guess it doesn't consider that I might be doing a plain file update.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooperfed wrote:
Download does work. However, this just wipes out all the details from the rmir file: all the comments, and details about each device upgrade. It seems to be equivalent to just opening up the settings.bin file directly.

Yes, I said doing a download was just for testing the file path was correct. It is indeed equivalent to just opening the settings.bin file directly.

Quote:
I tried using the Upload feature from the rmir file, and it gives a perhaps overly cautious error:

"RMIR does not yet support writing directly to a Simpleset remote in Linux."

I should be able to fix this by making RMIR distinguish between the remote and a file as destination. I will investigate and report again.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooperfed, please replace the RemoteMaster.jar file in your installation by this one, which will show as build 13 in Help/About. I think this should resolve the problem. I have tested it with Ubuntu 14.04 in a VirtualBox (I am the other way round from you Smile ). There is one proviso. The path to the settings.bin file must not contain REMOTE (written all in capitals like that), as that is used to detect the external drive of a connected SimpleSet remote.
cooperfed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm! Thanks a bunch, mathdon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: