JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Widget or just use learning remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
The other time a widget is handy is if your remote isn't sending the signals you expect. I just point it at the widget and see what is actually being sent. It always points out where I made a stupid error in programming a macro, or special function.

Exactly!
Especially when a macro is sending signals to a wrong device.
Also, if some device's remote has too many buttons to learn into a jp1 remote, running just one session with the Widget is easier.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alternatives to the IrWidget and to the IrScope.

For the DIY-inclined, using an Arduino with appropriate sensors and firmware is a very good alternative. I just finished this hardware guide on how to build one such, to a price less than $10 USD. It can be used with IrScrutinizer.

Then there is the IrToy, for around $20 USD. It can be used natively by IrScrutinizer. BUT, it can also be flashed with an alternative firmware, making an IrWidget.AFAIK, works perfektly.

IrScrutinizer also support some other hardware, like GlobalCache and CommandFusion.These are in the three-digit price range though.

Personally, I think that IrScope, although it "does the job", suffers from really bad "usability". Capturing several signals, and you must multiplex your hands between the widget, the remote, and the mouse, just to click away those pesky "OK" (modal) popups. IrScutinizer (which also supports the IrWidget) does not suffer from that shortcoming.

Finally, the IrWidget, as originially proposed by Kevin Timmerman, is a very simple construction. In the Tommy-version, it basically consists of one microprocessor PIC12F629, one FTDI chip (for USB communication) and one sensor (QSE157?). Then there are some mechanical components, a LED, and some resistors. Total price < $5 USD. No-one expects anyone to sell anything for the price of the components, but $35 USD...? But in the end, it is the free market; supply and demand rules.
node

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered the IR Widget from Tommy and it should arrive soon.

In the mean time, I am reading of the use of IRscope and analyzing the waveform and decoding the signals from a remote using IR Widget.

One of my goals is to make a bin file of my remotes for my various Android TV_Boxes, so I can place these bin files into my (Old Slingbox SB200), and newer Slingboxes, as I plan to upgrade soon.

My other goal is to make a remote.conf file to be place into OpenELEC into these same boxes so they all can use one remote, as I have four models of Android TV boxes converted to OpenELEC.

I am yet to understand which program RM-IR; IR or IrScrutinizer to use, and which data from IRScope I need, and where to input such data into the required program to make the bin and the remote.conf.

The remote.conf file is a txt file, for OpenELEC.

I do not own a JP1:JP1.1:JP1.2 nor a JP1.3 compatible learning remote.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as to how to proceed, to accomplish my task.

Thanks
chuliu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

node wrote:
I have ordered the IR Widget from Tommy and it should arrive soon.

In the mean time, I am reading of the use of IRscope and analyzing the waveform and decoding the signals from a remote using IR Widget.

One of my goals is to make a bin file of my remotes for my various Android TV_Boxes, so I can place these bin files into my (Old Slingbox SB200), and newer Slingboxes, as I plan to upgrade soon.

My other goal is to make a remote.conf file to be place into OpenELEC into these same boxes so they all can use one remote, as I have four models of Android TV boxes converted to OpenELEC.

I am yet to understand which program RM-IR; IR or IrScrutinizer to use, and which data from IRScope I need, and where to input such data into the required program to make the bin and the remote.conf.

I do not own a JP1:JP1.1:JP1.2 nor a JP1.3 compatible learning remote.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as to how to proceed, to accomplish my task.

Thanks

To use your ir widget, you need driver obviously. Then you need irscope to capture the signal of a remote. Then you need to have remote master software to make a device upgrade and to convert the upgrade to binary file for your slingbox. Since you don't have a learning jp1 remote, you won't need rmir software.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:

To use your ir widget, you need driver obviously. Then you need irscope to capture the signal of a remote. Then you need to have remote master software to make a device upgrade and to convert the upgrade to binary file for your slingbox. Since you don't have a learning jp1 remote, you won't need rmir software.

REMOTEMASTER (RM) is part of RMIR.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
Then you need to have remote master software to make a device upgrade and to convert the upgrade to binary file for your slingbox. Since you don't have a learning jp1 remote, you won't need rmir software.

Node, please note that although this is correct, Remote Master (RM) and RMIR are combined in one program, generally referred to as RM/RMIR or sometimes simply as RMIR. Read the first post in this thread for details of the latest release of this program.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

node wrote:

I am yet to understand which program RM-IR; IR or IrScrutinizer to use, and which data from IRScope I need, and where to input such data into the required program to make the bin

You need one program to collect (using the IrWidget or other sensor) and analyze the data. Alternatives are IrScope, IrScrutinizer (happens to be written by myself), and the commercial AnalysisIR (does not support IrWidget though). Then you need another program for designing the remote. Alternatives are RM/RMIR and IR. To transfer the data collected by the first program to the second program is comparatively hard and involves manual work (at least for the time being).

Quote:
...and the remote.conf.

This is nothing else but a Lirc configuration file, and can be generated directly from IrScrutinizer from the collected data.
node

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys all thanks, for taking the time for pointing me in the correct direction.

I have downloaded the drivers required for the IR widget, USB serial converter /port drivers (yet to be installed),and the CDM uninstaller, plus the readme.

Mathdon had a read of the link you guided me too, and will read it again should I miss something.

One thing however I have not seen, is a tutorial for people using IR widget with IRScope, to take this data and enter it into RM.

I know it is to enter the Protocol : Device : OBC; to be able to get started. I have read not to enter the HEX generated by IRScope into RM, not sure if it is required or not.

I have read how this is done using the JP1 but not using the IR widget data generated from IRScope, entered into RM.

If this has been written I will sure like to know where I can read on it.

Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should suffice. The learned signal data from RM and IRScope look essentially the same.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#How_Do_You_Create_An_Upgrade_From_Scratch

You can ignore the Hex, but you do need the subdevice. In the example above, the device is 71 and the subdevice is 17.
node

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

Excellent, how can I say thanks, for digging up this for me.

Much appreciated..
danorum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

Monoprice upgrades:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=26

Most devices within a brand share the same codes across many model years, so an older model usually works fine. So always try that before you resort to learning.

It turns out that this monoprice switch didn't work for me, but I was able to use the remote to learn the buttons and then convert that into an .RMDU file. I have uploaded mine here -

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13888

Thanks again for all the help. I now have 3 Nevo C2's in the house and they are working pretty well so far. I think for the Tivo functions, I just need to use it for a while and see if I need to add additional soft buttons or reconfig some of the hard buttons to make Netflix/amazon easier from the Tivo.

Dan
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the upgrade. Turns out it's identical to our other Monoprice switch upgrades.

As for making things easier to use, you can assign the same function to multiple buttons. I use that a lot. For example, I assign the Tivo button to both Menu and a soft button. Same for Enter and Previous Channel. I made Stop the stop command, but you could make it Back if you prefer.

You can always make a Watch Netflix activity/device that has a custom layout different from the one you use for watching your DVR. Just duplicate the Tivo device, call it Tivo Streaming, and remap the buttons as desired.
node

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do with some guidance again guys.

I go two Nevo C2; I have Tommy IR widget; IRScope v2.0.2.3 loaded and working, IR.exe v8.03 & v8.04, RM v2.03 and RMIR.

I have upgraded the firmware on the two Nevo C2 on EZ-RC website.

The C2s came with no device loaded, so I made it learn one of my remotes. But I notice it is not controlling the device very well, the device is a T10 Android box modified with OpenElec.

By not very well I mean it is very quick when a button is pressed, so it not really controlling the T10. I think something is a little off.

I decided to learn the signals using the IR widget and what I notice is very slight differences in the numbers learnt by IRScope and directly learnt to the C2.

So I put the IR Widget data into RM save it as a .rmdu file.

Now I will like to write this file to the C2 but IR.exe is not recognizing the C2.

I notice RMIR interface is very different from RM. RMIR has no Function nor External Function nor button tabs while RM does.

RMIR is seeing the C2 fine, and the learnt data on the C2. But I will like to load my .rmdu on the C2.

Am I doing this correctly, taking the IR widget data loading it into RM saving it as a .rmdu.

What to use to upload this rmdu to the C2, is where I am stuck. Too many programs not speaking to each other. Thanks guys
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must use RMIR for the C2, not IR.exe.

RMIR replaces IR, not RM.

Yes, I agree, too many programs.

To make a device from your learns, open RMIR, upload from the C2, go to the learned tab, press Convert to Upgrade.

To use the RMDU you made instead, in RMIR, go to devices tab, New, Open, browse to your RMDU, OK, then download to remote.

Read the "How Easy Is It" tutorial on the wiki page to understand the purpose of RMIR and how it functions.

Don't use IR anymore.

I'm sure the widget is awesome, but I think it's only making things more complicated for you right now. Set it aside until you have a better understanding of how this all fits together.

Post your files so we can see what you're talking about.
node

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej, for the guidance.

I was able to upload the .rmdu file to the Nevo C2 using RMIR; which I saved in RM and learnt using the IR Widget with IRScope.exe.

The T10 is responding 100% like I am using the original remote.

Two things.

1). Do I need to include a Setup Code in RM for every remote file I make. If yes, do I just choose my own code. What is the significant?

2). I have the txt file saved from IRScope.exe, .rmdu from RM, the Learnt .rmir from the C2 from RMIR, and a .rmir uploaded from the .rmud from RMIR.

How can I upload these files here, for you to view?[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: