JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HDMI terminology?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: HDMI terminology? Reply with quote

Hi all, after someone tried to connect an hdmi device to a sony, the remote didn't work anymore to select inputs. I have a feeling it has something to do with that CEC stuff or autosynching devices. I just can't find what I'm looking for.

full manual is here
https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL55W800C_50W800C_Ref_Guide_EN_FR.pdf

Quote:

 HDMI IN 2/3/4
If connecting a digital audio system that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC) technology, use HDMI IN 4. If not, an additional connection with DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) is necessary.

 HDMI IN 1/MHL
You can connect your MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) device using an HD quality MHL cable.

What is MHL?

What is ARC?

Any help or guidance.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHL is basically a special cable for high-end smart phones that fits the HDMI port on the TV end.

ARC is to send digital audio from the TV's internal tuner to a digital surround receiver (opposite direction of the HDMI from the receiver to the TV) without having an additional cable.

Neither should cause your issue. I guess it could be CEC/Sync, try disabling it in the TV setup menus, but that seems unlikely too. Many newer TVs won't let you select an HDMI unless the port is connected to an active device.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:
Many newer TVs won't let you select an HDMI unless the port is connected to an active device.

Yes most of my TV's will dim the list. But this completely erases the input menu. It doesn't show Antenna, it doesn't show USB, it doesn't show Android, it doesn't show HDMI...... It seems to be common. I've found post after post on it, only one suggested unplugging the TV for two minutes. That one worked. But really what a pain. Then you have to wait for the system to warm up and then you are thrown into the Apps menu. And when you search the web, all the answers have you go into menus that don't exist on this TV!!!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I believe that with a Sony Android TV, for inputs to be recognised and listed in menus, the relevant external device must be physically connected (and perhaps also be powered up) before the TV is powered on.
Once this has been done there should be no further problems but, for a new device to be recognised, it is not enough just to connect a new device or to connect it with the TV in standby.

Upon coming out of standby the home screen is the default but think that somewhere in the menus you can choose which input is to be used instead.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thans tranx. I think you are right. I tried to find anything in the manual but couldn't.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 'manual' is absolutely useless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: