JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR - problems with extender for URC-6440 - SOLVED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do one more thing to give me more diagnostic info. Open RMIR, load the .rmir file that you used to start the upgrade (the one I want you to post). Select File/Install Extender but say No if prompted to save. Select the extender .hex file, and press Open if the act of selecting it doesn't already close that window. At this point, if all had gone well, you would see 12 devices on the General tab but I expect you to see just the original four. Now, without saving or doing anything else, close RMIR and say No if prompted to save. Now post the rmaster.err file (in the RMIR installation folder), in addition to the original .rmir file.

Something is stopping the extender from installing correctly. The rmaster.err file might contain a clue. One other thought I have had: is your home-made machine blazingly fast? I wonder if RMIR is trying to read data from the .hex file before that file has finished loading. I've never heard of this happening, but it is a thought.
JezW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

It was no trouble at all, thanks for all your help with this.

In terms of selecting the hex file without pressing the open button, I am double clicking instead. I assume it would do the same thing, as with other dialog boxes of this type.

I'll get the RMIR files for you now.
JezW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the file that you would like:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13735

I'll follow your other instructions now.

Maybe it's also worth me returning the remote to factory default settings and re-installing the extender. This way we would know whether or not the RMIR file is causing the issue.

My computer is pretty quick but I wouldn't say super fast

3Ghz dual core Intel CPU
8GB DDR2 memory
256GB SSD for operating system
2 x 1TB drives for storage and backup

I built it about 7 years ago and since then have only changed to a SSD and added another 4GB memory. I wouldn't say it's super fast, especially compared to today's standards.
JezW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rmaster.err file after selecting no when prompted by that dialog box. I then quit RMIR, and selected no when prompted to save.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13736

What was strange again was that when I first tried it now, after coming home, I did not get that dialog box come up, even trying a second time. However it came up after creating a new RMIR file, to which I tried to install the extender. I don't know if that really means anything but hopefully what I'm saying make sense. ie. The dialog box wasn't coming up for the "old" RMIR file that I had, only a new one that I had just created, even though they should have been exactly the same because they were both created by RMIR from the same settings.bin file.
JezW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I copied across an unextended settings.bin file, then performed a 981 factory reset.

I then tried to install the extender to the control and the same thing happened, except no dialog box coming up. When I click install extender, then open the hex file, RMIR does not change at all. I then upload to the remote, download back to RMIR and it looks like the extender is installed until you go to the activities tab and the other four activities are missing.

So it doesn't seem like there's a problem with the RMIR file.
JezW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uninstalled Java and re-installed it. Everything with the installation went fine.

But then remote master wouldn't open. So I deleted it, re-downloaded it and put it in a new folder.

Now when I click the setup.vbs file, a dialog box comes up:

"Got an error writing to the registry, launching with UAC"

I click OK and it says "Program shortcuts created successfully"

Click OK.

Open RMIR, another dialog box "Error - No Map files were found!"

Click OK. "Choose the directory containing the Map files"

Click cancel.

"Error - No RDF files were found!"

Click OK.

"Choose the directory containing the RDF files"

What the f**k have I done now lol

I'll remove remote master, run CCleaner to clear any registry files, restart my computer and try again.
JezW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to square one now, with the missing activity tabs after having extended the remote.

I got RMIR working again, CCleaner found some registry issues and then it installed fine after that.

So now I've re-installed java, re-installed RMIR, tried the factory reset settings.bin file (in case my RMIR file was causing a problem). I don't know about you guys but I'm running out of ideas Rolling Eyes

The next step for me would be to install RMIR and the extender using a different computer in the house. I'll wait to see what you think.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video.
Don't know what this means but these are screenshots at 1.03 secs in the General Tab and at 1.16 secs in the Devices tab.

at 1.03 secs in the General Tab, the device types vary.
At 1.16 secs in the Devices tab, the device types are all 'Extra' and the comment for Extra has been replicated for each,
but the devices and device codes do not include those shown in the General tab, and these devices are all for 'Amp'

mathdon help please, but in the meanwhile I will look again at the video to see if 'create upgrades' corrected matters...
(it didn't. In the video: "I have pressed the create missing upgrades button and that's produced this..." [showing the same list in the devices tab and with 'create missing upgrades button still not greyed-out])

mathdon pending, you might try loading the appropriate upgrades, instead of Simpleset and 'create missing upgrades', or do create missing upgrades again, to see if that improves the problems.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my current assessment, after delving back into the workings of RMIR:

1. On the prompt to save appearing when you click "Install extender...", this is unusual but it can happen. The prompt appears when RMIR sees that the data has been changed after it was loaded. I know you haven't changed it but in certain circumstances RMIR can re-order the data, so functionally it does not change but the sequence of bytes does change. If you say Yes to the prompt to save, it will save the re-ordered data. If you then use that saved file in another attempt at installation, it won't re-order it again so this time you should not get the prompt. I think, from what you say, this agrees with your experience.

2. On the missing activities, this is happening because the extender installation does not complete properly. Since it fails to complete, the screen does not update. Nevertheless, internally the setup has been updated up to the point that the installation stalled, so when you save the setup and re-open it, you see this partial update with the extra devices but not the extra activities.

3. To my surprise, your rmaster.err file gives no indication that the extender install did not complete. Indeed, it says explicitly that it did complete. So I still have no idea what is going wrong with the extender.

So what should you do now? Since it is clear that the missing activities were a result of the extender installation not completing, rather than some action you took at a later stage, I am 100% confident that the settings.bin file I posted for you yesterday is a complete and valid setup for the extended remote. What I did was to complete the installation manually, which I can do (but you can't) as I know what the installer does. So I suggest you copy this to your remote and use RMIR to build on this foundation.

This leaves unresolved the question of what is going wrong with your attempts to install the extender. At present I've run out of ideas, and I expect you are running out of patience Rolling Eyes , so let's by-pass it for now by using my yesterday's repair.

I am still curious as to why your initial .rmir file gets re-ordered when loaded into RMIR, but I can't look into that as the version you posted appears to be the version after being saved during the extender install. If at some point you could re-create and post the original version, I would be interested to find out what is causing that re-ordering.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezW wrote:
The next step for me would be to install RMIR and the extender using a different computer in the house. I'll wait to see what you think.

I forgot to answer this. Yes, this would be very interesting, I would like to know if this works. You can try this with the reassurance that you still have my file of yesterday (see post above) if it still doesn't work.
JezW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Great video.
Don't know what this means but these are screenshots at 1.03 secs in the General Tab and at 1.16 secs in the Devices tab.

at 1.03 secs in the General Tab, the device types vary.
At 1.16 secs in the Devices tab, the device types are all 'Extra' and the comment for Extra has been replicated for each,
but the devices and device codes do not include those shown in the General tab, and these devices are all for 'Amp'

mathdon help please, but in the meanwhile I will look again at the video to see if 'create upgrades' corrected matters...
(it didn't. In the video: "I have pressed the create missing upgrades button and that's produced this..." [showing the same list in the devices tab and with 'create missing upgrades button still not greyed-out])

Ha, thanks Smile First desktop video I've made. For future reference, I used "Debut video capture software".

Please ignore what I said about the devices tab, I glossed over it and I was wrong. If you refer back to the my post at 8.12pm yesterday, i pointed out that what I said wasn't correct. Those additional "Extra" devices in the device tab must have come from simpleset.com when I downloaded the settings/controls for my amp.

Please see my post on this thread at 11.07pm and Rob's reply at 11.22pm, followed by additional testing which goes up to a post at 11.54pm.

If I click "create missing upgrades" then the other device files (TV and PVR) are successfully produced in the device tab.

Also, if you see my post on this thread at 12.58am, I tried installing the extender with a completely fresh RMIR file. And the same issue occurs. So I think it's safe to say that the RMIR file is not causing the issues.
JezW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Here's my current assessment, after delving back into the workings of RMIR:

1. On the prompt to save appearing when you click "Install extender...", this is unusual but it can happen. The prompt appears when RMIR sees that the data has been changed after it was loaded. I know you haven't changed it but in certain circumstances RMIR can re-order the data, so functionally it does not change but the sequence of bytes does change. If you say Yes to the prompt to save, it will save the re-ordered data. If you then use that saved file in another attempt at installation, it won't re-order it again so this time you should not get the prompt. I think, from what you say, this agrees with your experience.

Ok yes that makes sense

mathdon wrote:
2. On the missing activities, this is happening because the extender installation does not complete properly. Since it fails to complete, the screen does not update. Nevertheless, internally the setup has been updated up to the point that the installation stalled, so when you save the setup and re-open it, you see this partial update with the extra devices but not the extra activities.

Yes, I agree

mathdon wrote:
3. To my surprise, your rmaster.err file gives no indication that the extender install did not complete. Indeed, it says explicitly that it did complete. So I still have no idea what is going wrong with the extender.

Rolling Eyes

mathdon wrote:
So what should you do now? Since it is clear that the missing activities were a result of the extender installation not completing, rather than some action you took at a later stage, I am 100% confident that the settings.bin file I posted for you yesterday is a complete and valid setup for the extended remote. What I did was to complete the installation manually, which I can do (but you can't) as I know what the installer does. So I suggest you copy this to your remote and use RMIR to build on this foundation.

Ok, it's great to have that there at least lol

mathdon wrote:
This leaves unresolved the question of what is going wrong with your attempts to install the extender. At present I've run out of ideas, and I expect you are running out of patience Rolling Eyes , so let's by-pass it for now by using my yesterday's repair.

In situations like this, I'm actually more interested in finding out what's going wrong as opposed to being frustrated by the time spent or looking for the quick fix, such as the file you linked. I assume you're the same but even more so because it's your software!

mathdon wrote:
I am still curious as to why your initial .rmir file gets re-ordered when loaded into RMIR, but I can't look into that as the version you posted appears to be the version after being saved during the extender install. If at some point you could re-create and post the original version, I would be interested to find out what is causing that re-ordering.

Sorry Graham, I'm not sure entirely what you want. Just the initial, basic RMIR file which is saved in Step 1 of the extender installation? I thought I had uploaded that already but am happy to do it again. However please see my post from 12.58am last night - I did a factory reset and tried the extender installation on a completely "fresh" remote and it still doesn't install correctly.
JezW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one other thought - try to force RMIR to "Run as administrator" (even though my user account does have administrative rights on my computer).

So I right click the RMIR shortcut, click "Run as administrator" and it comes up with:

User account control
Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer

Program: Java SE RUntime Environment 8 Update 66
Verified Publisher: Oracle...

Clicked yes, tried installing the extender again but unfortunately same outcome.
JezW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried installing the extender on a second computer.

This computer did not have Java installed. So I downloaded and installed Java 8 Update 66. Has anyone confirmed they have installed the extender successfully with this version?

I really expected it to work this time Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately the same thing happened. I clicked install extender, selected the hex file and clicked open. Nothing changed. I then uploaded to the remote and downloaded again, and it came up with the dialog box below.

Once clicking OK, and navigating around RMIR, everything else seems the same as on my computer, with the extra device buttons appearing, but the four activities still missing.

JezW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit!

I just uninstalled Java 8 update 66, and installed an Version 7 Update 79, which I got from www.download.com

Same result on my computer, no strange dialog box like on the other computer though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: