JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing my first JP1 remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezW, I just remembered that, for a Samsung F8000 and an F450 Tv, occasionally for a similar purpose we use a function called 'picture mode', OBC40 (See global macro #5 in the link to current image).

In the 'Picture' page of the main menu, there are four Picture Modes: Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie. Each of these may be set up/adjusted, independently for each of the Tv's inputs while it is current, with respect to the full range of parameters like brightness etc.

For your purpose
Whichever TV inputs is current, you could see if the TV-device 'picture mode' function brings up the separate small vertically organised menu which offers a means of highlighting, and at the same time re-setting, one of the four Picture Modes for the Tv input which is current, by navigating with the up/down buttons.

If your Tv also works like that
In the main Picture Menu, and in preparation, for two of the InputTV's Picture Modes you could set a level of brightness etc. as required, one for day and one for night (also the same for other inputs if those would need to be adjusted at the same time). Then a pair of buttons, or buttonX and Shift-buttonX, could carry global macros to do what you want:-

DCsave (to store the Tv's input mode which is current upon entry):
Picture Mode (the TV Device function)
(Instructions to navigate the mini-picture mode menu to the 'day' or 'night' Picture Mode, repeated after setting other Tv input modes if that is needed)
DCrestore (to restore the original TV Device Mode)

Last edited by tranx on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
JezW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea tranx, yes I think I could do that instead.

I've pretty much done all the other macros I can think of for now Smile

I'm still not entirely sure about when to use the DC buttons so I'll read the manual again.
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, btw if relevant please also see the Samsung Tv's own Main Menu>Picture, Apply Picture Mode > 'All sources' or 'Current Source'
I looked for, but couldn't find any 'light room' or 'dark room' automatic brightness/contrast adjustment. If you have one it would probably be worth switching it off, just like most of the auto settings.
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this would be simple but nothing is Rolling Eyes A little away from JP1 but what do you think of this-

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs in use.

TV (HDMI1)
PC (HDM12)
Camera DVR (HDMI3) (House security cameras)

If I go to the picture mode, I can change between dynamic and standard picture on only HDM1 and HDMI3 (as well as "natural" and "movie"). However on the PC input, HDMI2, the only options are "entertain" and "standard".

I switched the cables of HDMI2 and HDMI3 and then all sources are given access to all four picture modes. I changed them back and then HDMI2 only had "standard" and "entertain" again.

Bit strange isn't it? I guess the obvious solution is just to switch the HDMI inputs permanently but I was used to them the current way round!
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the Tv manual to see if any Hdmi's have peculiar specs, each of which might be relevant only for a certain a type of attached device, or for input/output.
I would not understand what anything unusual might mean, but you may...
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual says:

"When connected to a PC via an HDMI-to-DVI cable, only the Standard and Entertain pictures modes can be chosen"

It's annoying that Samsung would put this limitation on the TV. But what's strange is that the limitation only seems to apply to HDMI2. Oh well, I'll find a work around.

I'm slightly struggling to set up the power button in combo mode. When in a combo mode (WatchTV or WatchMovie), a long press of the power button results in a toggle on/off signal for every device that is assigned to a button group in that combo mode (and has the check box ticked). I would like to program it so that a long press results in discrete off signals being sent for my devices. Is this possible? I have tried using a LKP but I think it conflicts with the extender combo mode programming.
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted the picture modes, it just comes down to the name that you give the source. So if you name it "PC" then it restricts the picture mode settings. Bit strange, but I just named it something else.

I've made a LKP macro so that when pressing TV, it just changes to the TV device. When holding it, it turns the TV on, changes to the correct input, turns the skybox on (PrevCh = Sky DiscreteON), and changes to the WatchTV activity.

I'm trying to minimise the number of button presses in my macros and it doesn't seem like the TV button is necessary at the start of either the short key or long key macros?

ie. these two work the same.

I understand why the TV key is not needed in short keys, because if blank it will just perform the normal function of that button. But TV3 is the DiscreteHDMI1 input for my TV. I would have thought that the TV device needs to be selected before this function is sent but it seems it doesn't need to be?
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...I'm slightly struggling to set up the power button in combo mode. When in a combo mode (WatchTV or WatchMovie), a long press of the power button results in a toggle on/off signal for every device that is assigned to a button group in that combo mode (and has the check box ticked). I would like to program it so that a long press results in discrete off signals being sent for my devices. Is this possible? I have tried using a LKP but I think it conflicts with the extender combo mode programming...
The combo functions and combo modes were part of the 'Simple'4 raison d'etre, when someone must have calculated that simplicity would sell more remotes.
For a long while the few feasible macros were not even mentioned in the literature, and I can only suppose that they were left out to suit the marketing strategy.
It was not quite the same story for OARUSB04G (where did they get that from?) for which macros were mentioned in the official blurb, but its manual seems to have been held back.

For those who like the built in activities mathdon has also done wonders but, unless you are inclined to fancy using them, I think you could just un-tick the boxes and forget about them.
Having admittedly not really tried combo things, I reckon that if macros had not been made so handy just by JP1 itself and, if the Extender had not been so incredibly flexible, Activities might somehow have seemed more significant. You could probably do almost everything you want with the excellent macro parts of the Extender, and only dabble with Activities if they somehow turn out to be essential.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...I understand why the TV key is not needed in short keys, because if blank it will just perform the normal function of that button. But TV3 is the DiscreteHDMI1 input for my TV. I would have thought that the TV device needs to be selected before this function is sent but it seems it doesn't need to be?...
Interesting. Assuming that you have not put the TV device also on TV3,
and while I see that Device <none> has made the LKP global,
it may be that you have only tried using this when the remote has already been in the TV Device Mode.
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tranx,

I've unticked the boxes but I'm still struggling to create a LKP macro on the power button which turns off my devices off using the discreteOFF signals. I think it may be conflicting with the way the power combo button has been setup, Graham might confirm this. I'm wondering if there's a way to turn this feature off, just so that I can use the power button as any other button. When doing it this way, it also interferes with using the normal power button on other devices.

In terms of my other question -

tranx wrote:
Interesting. Assuming that you have not put the TV device also on TV3

What do you mean by this? TV3 (or Xshift TV) is where I have stored the DiscreteHDMI1 function.

I have tested this LKP whilst in other devices and it still works.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezW wrote:
Hi tranx,

I've unticked the boxes but I'm still struggling to create a LKP macro on the power button which turns off my devices off using the discreteOFF signals. I think it may be conflicting with the way the power combo button has been setup, Graham might confirm this. I'm wondering if there's a way to turn this feature off, just so that I can use the power button as any other button. When doing it this way, it also interferes with using the normal power button on other devices.

In terms of my other question -

tranx wrote:
Interesting. Assuming that you have not put the TV device also on TV3

What do you mean by this? TV3 (or Xshift TV) is where I have stored the DiscreteHDMI1 function.

I have tested this LKP whilst in other devices and it still works.
Aha, of course the first macro step 'TV:' is not needed because pressing the TV Button, to issue the whole macro, has already put the remote in Device Mode, as mentioned earlier:-
Quote:
...Effects: Just pressing the TV device button sets remote mode to TV device (i.e. TV device is active)...
---------------------------------------
To turn off activities and combo-power or whatever it is called, un-tick the boxes and remove all devices from all activity pages, see the linked .rmir if that is not clear because, as above, we don't use any combo things.

As far as 'discrete on and off' commands are concerned, I seem to remember that discrete power commands were unreliable with our Tv, have you tested each one to see if it always works properly?

If needed for On you can probably use some other command in a way which would not be a nuisance in context, to see if it would work as discrete On, such as InputHdmiN when the device would already be in that input if it was on, or channel up/down.

We don't bother because no other device can work if the Tv is off, when we can see the that the Tv is off! And wouldn't press a toggle On/Off button if the Tv was obviously on and we didn't want to turn it off.

Our 3 PVRs and BluRay don't have discretes and take a while to be ready so we use a toggle power first then a relevant Tv's PVR input once they have lit up fully. Again, you could look to see if they are off or on first, and either a macro with Toggle Power to turn them off and change to InputTv, which is the popular one, or Power Toggle On/Off combined with Tv's PVR input if that would not make you wait too long.

Unless you have good discrete commands, if you really need to do discrete power, it has to be ToadTogs, but best not to go into that until you have practiced everything else and have the idea of them fully understood

Last edited by tranx on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Aha, of course the first macro step 'TV:' is not needed because pressing the TV Button, to issue the whole macro, has already put the remote in Device Mode, as mentioned earlier:-...Effects: Just pressing the TV device button sets remote mode to TV device (i.e. TV device is active)...

So short press = short keys
Long press = short keys + long keys ? Rolling Eyes

tranx wrote:

As far as 'discrete on and off' commands are concerned, I seem to remember that discrete power commands were unreliable with our Tv, have you tested each one to see if it always works properly?

If needed for On you can probably use some other command in a way which would not be a nuisance in context, to see if it would work as discrete On, such as InputHdmiN when the device would already be in that input if it was on, or channel up/down.

We don't bother because no other device can work if the Tv is off, when we can see the that the Tv is off! And wouldn't press a toggle On/Off button if the Tv was obviously on and we didn't want to turn it off.

Our 3 PVRs and BluRay don't have discretes and take a while to be ready so we use a toggle power first then a relevant Tv's PVR input once they have lit up fully. You could look to see if they are off or on first and either a macro with Toggle Power to turns them off and change to InputTv, which is the popular one, or Power Toggle On/Off combined with Tv's PVR input if that would not make you wait too long.

Discretes work well for my sky box and TV, it's just assigning them to the power button in combo mode I'm having problems with.

My amp is another matter - I'm going to look at Toadtog soon.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Discretes work well for my sky box and TV, it's just assigning them to the power button in combo mode I'm having problems with
As above I have never had to think about combo modes but will just throw this out in case it might be useful for saving a button in each of up to three device modes.
Think some more about using proper DSMs (or keymoves) on buttons to be used as switches by employing the discrete Tv's inputs, two buttons (or indeed the same button for DSM-type LKPs) in each device to switch between watching Tv or either of two PVRs:-

e.g.
When watching Tv, and in the Tv's input mode as required for TV,
Press buttonX for the Tv's input instruction (and the appropriate Device instruction in each of the following suggestions) for switching to using PVR1.
And buttonY for for the Tv's input instruction for switching to using PVR2.

When watching PVR1, and in the Tv's input mode as required for PVR1,
Press the same buttonX again for the Tv's input instruction for switching back to watching Tv.
And, as when watching Tv, press buttonY for for the Tv's input instruction for switching to watching PVR2.

When watching PVR2, and in the Tv's input mode as required for PVR2,
Press buttonY again for the Tv's input instruction for switching back to watching TV.
And, as when watching Tv, press buttonX for for the Tv's input instruction for switching to watching PVR1.

- or something like that might just help with your LKP problems when using discrete power commands.
- the PVR and TV Device Buttons don't have to be partly used as usual, so those parts could perhaps be spare for Power commands
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezW, 'Rorthron sleeps' (ref. Lords of Midnight Spectrum game and free TV licence next year) so if you have unticked all the boxes I think your Combi-Power thingy should have been disabled, so 'ask again' and please specify what you are doing...
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tranx, all I would like to do is put a LKP on the power button so it turns everything off. And when it's short pressed it acts normally, like it does now.

Try it on yours and you'll see it doesn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: