JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Acer Aspire V 15 Touch - how to replace the RAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Acer Aspire V 15 Touch - how to replace the RAM Reply with quote

My son has an Acer Aspire V3-572P-326T laptop and he decided to upgrade the RAM. It comes with 6gb, which is pretty good, but he does gaming on it, so we upgraded it to 16gb which is sweet.

We got this through a Groupon, but here's the Amazon listing for the same model:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPUU0XO/

And here's the new RAM that we bought for it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFW

So why am I posting about it? Because there's no user manual or service manual anywhere for this thing and there are no underside panels, so there's no obvious way to replace the RAM. But we figured it out and I am posting it here in case anyone else needs to do this and hopefully find this post in a search. The RAM is buried under the motherboard, so the only way to replace it is to remove the motherboard, which is the most RIDICULOUS design I have ever heard of for a laptop.

Remove the battery and then all the screws from the underside, then un-clip the whole keyboard/palmrest. The front and sides should un-clip easy enough, but the back is a bit more tricky. In the space vacated by the battery you will see some more clips, use a small flat edge screwdriver to poke the single clips on the left and right and then the keyboard will come free.

Don't pull it off, because there are 4 ribbon cables underneath that will need to be disconnected first.

Once the keyboard is off, you can remove the DVD drive, it should just slide out. Next, remove the hard drive. First you will need to disconnect the ribbon that runs over it, then remove the two screws and slide the drive out.

Next, disconnect the two cables from the wifi card, remove the screw and remove the card.

Next, disconnect the various cables, including
1. The display/screen cable in the center
2. The cable for the USBs in the front
3. The cable for the fan, next to the wi-fi card
4. The power cable under the DVD drive

Next remove the 2 screws that hold the motherboard in place, the first is in the corner by the hard drive and DVD drive, and the next is top/center near the screen.

The motherboard should be free now to be removed. Lift it from the right and carefully left the metal grill in front of the fan come out.

Flip the motherboard over and there's the two slots for the RAM. This motherboard supports up to 16gb of ram, 8gb per slot. The computer comes with 6gb, one 4gb card and one 2gb card.

Re-assemble in reverse.

Pics (click to enlarge)...

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: