JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The chip partner FTDI cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failing was mine because I trusted the triangle, and everybody else has been smart enough to ignore it.

The photograph at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360 shows the triangle which typically identifies Pin 1 at top left.

My apologies for not thinking this through thoroughly before posting.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link is to this entire thread, and not to an individual post. So I can't tell which photograph you have in mind. There's a small rectangular icon (maybe it represents a piece of paper) in the heading for each post just to the left of "Posted:". Right click the icon and select "Copy link address".
For example, the third post in this thread is http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=121028#121028

Note that this link has the format ?p=xxxxxx#xxxxxx. Compare this to the link you provided which has format ?t=xxxxxx
jonpo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Your link is to this entire thread, and not to an individual post

Thanks for your guidance.

The link is http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=120954#120954

The photograph I refer to is under "The following pic shows how the pins are numbered for the 6-pin connector in the remote itself:" and shows the rear of a cabled 6-pin connector.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explicit call out of the photograph you have in mind. However, IMO the photograph and accompanying figure do not support your assertions, so I'll bow out here, just noting that the head post of this thread does correctly describe the numbering of the pins.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The chip partner FTDI cable Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The following pic shows how the pins are numbered for the 6-pin connector in the remote itself:

This video shows you how to connect the cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYzsh-usTo

jonpo wrote:
The arrow at upper left on a 6-pin connector identifies pin 1, and I connected the cables as per the post:

1 - (empty):VDD
2 - Yellow:RTS
3 - Black:GND
4 - Green:TXD
5 - (empty)
6 - White:RXD

RMIR told me 'Remote not found'.

The photograph showed 2 and 6 were reversed from the text, so I connected the cables as per:

2 - White:RXD
5 - (empty)
6 - Yellow:RTS

RMIR downloaded without issues.

I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYzsh-usTo, and the narrator identifies Pin 1 as upper right, which is actually Pin 3. This would explain why the 2/6 transposition worked for her.

The photograph pin numbering is 1-3-5 on the upper, and 2-4-6 on the lower. If you can give me an email address I can forward you a PNG which identifies each pin and could be a suitable replacement in the post.

I'm failing to see what you're seeing in the photos.
jonpo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The chip partner FTDI cable Reply with quote

"I'm failing to see what you're seeing in the photos"

The triangle on a connector identifies Pin 1, in this case it does not.

Last edited by jonpo on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I'm curious why you decided to trust that triangle rather than anything actually written in the post or described in pictures that we created?

If you look at the pic below, there are 2 different diagrams showing quite clearly that pin 1 is on the other side.

Btw, you can't expect BBCode to display correctly if you check the "Diable BBCode in this post" box. I have to keep editing your posts to uncheck it so that quotes and images display properly.
jonpo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious why you decided to trust that triangle

A few years of building computer cables e.g.

I did not realize I needed to interpret where Pin 1 was by examining the diagrams until 3FG responded.

Thanks for the BBCode clue, had no idea why my posts were 'plain'. Disable was the default and did not know it affected the representation.
hillyerm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: FTDI FT232RL USB to TTL RS232 Cable Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Thanks for the report. This is why we recommend you buy cables with 6 individual connectors like this (pick the Independent option from the drop down):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-6Pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-TTL-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable-for-Arduino/312234679584

The individual pins can easily be assembled into the 2x3 block found on JP1 remotes. They ship worldwide, and it has transmit and receive indication LEDs.

I recently purchased the above FTDI cable and a couple of the wire colors are different from those documented here and in the eBay listing:

pin - color - type
2 - Gray:RTS
5 - (empty)
Pink:CTS (not connected)
Red:5V (not connected)

Works great with the new URC-3660 where a diygadget cable from 2013 would not.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillyerm wrote:

What chip is in your DIYGadget cable? Is it a Prolific one rather than FTDI? If so, are you using the latest version of RMIR? For a long time we advised against cables with a Prolific chip as they did not work with some of the later designs of remotes. Recent versions of RMIR have included v0.30 or later of jp12serial.dll which fixes this problem, so that cables with Prolific chips should now work with all remotes. I have just tested my URC3660 with a Prolific cable with RMIR v2.14.15, the current release, and it works fine.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: FTDI FT232RL USB to TTL RS232 Cable Reply with quote

hillyerm wrote:
mdavej wrote:
Thanks for the report. This is why we recommend you buy cables with 6 individual connectors like this (pick the Independent option from the drop down):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-6Pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-TTL-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable-for-Arduino/312234679584

The individual pins can easily be assembled into the 2x3 block found on JP1 remotes. They ship worldwide, and it has transmit and receive indication LEDs.

I recently purchased the above FTDI cable and a couple of the wire colors are different from those documented here and in the eBay listing:

pin - color - type
2 - Gray:RTS
5 - (empty)
Pink:CTS (not connected)
Red:5V (not connected)

Interesting that they sent you a cable with a pink CTS line where it shows as yellow in the listing.
hillyerm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
hillyerm wrote:

What chip is in your DIYGadget cable? Is it a Prolific one rather than FTDI? If so, are you using the latest version of RMIR? For a long time we advised against cables with a Prolific chip as they did not work with some of the later designs of remotes. Recent versions of RMIR have included v0.30 or later of jp12serial.dll which fixes this problem, so that cables with Prolific chips should now work with all remotes. I have just tested my URC3660 with a Prolific cable with RMIR v2.14.15, the current release, and it works fine.

I'm not sure which chip is in the diygadget cable. It is a serial cable and I had to manually cut pin 5 after receiving it per guidance from diygadget and the other 5 wires are intact. It works fine with an RCRP05B and worked fine with an Insignia 67100 and NS-RC02U-10A. I have pictures of the PCB if that would help identify it. RMIR version is v2.14.15.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillyerm wrote:
mathdon wrote:
hillyerm wrote:

I'm not sure which chip is in the diygadget cable. It is a serial cable and I had to manually cut pin 5 after receiving it per guidance from diygadget and the other 5 wires are intact. It works fine with an RCRP05B and worked fine with an Insignia 67100 and NS-RC02U-10A. I have pictures of the PCB if that would help identify it. RMIR version is v2.14.15.
DIY has used several different chips over the years, including Delcom, Prolific, FTDI and TIAO. I try to avoid ones that don't use FTDI since others can be hit or miss, and finding drivers can be difficult.

Glad to see that Graham has improved compatibility with Prolific.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone needs a new cable This has been my go-to cable for many years now!

I bought like a 100 Pack of 2 x 3 connectors so I can use them the USB chipset is FTDI
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Glad to see that Graham has improved compatibility with Prolific.

See this post for details. In particular, it says there of jp12serial v0.30 and later:

Quote:
USB-to-Serial converters are supported with all processors of which I am aware. It has been tested with FTDI FT232R and FT230X chips, Prolific PL2303, Silicon Labs CP2102N and the CH340G. The only qualification is that CP2102N needs to be revision A02 (those produced later than June 2019) and needs a 10K pull-down resistor connected between TXD and GND, which needed to be added to the interface board I bought, but other boards may already include it.

That testing was with remotes of all types other than JP1 EEPROM remotes so I was surprised to learn that there is a cable that does not work with URC3660 but does with other remotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: