JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6440/OARUSB04G Extender 1.04 now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhezhang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Setup codes out of range (fixed)/ writeRemote returned -1 Reply with quote

Started years ago with a RS 15-1994 and IR. Graduated to 8811/10820 with extender and RMIR. Stopped for years since everything is OK.

Used up my last 10820. Found the OARUSB04G and got my hands on a new OARUSB04G-4000 (signature 257604). Follow mathdon's instruction to install the extender. I am using RemoteMaster v2.06 build 5.

Got 2 problems.

1. When installing the extender 1.04, got Setup codes out of range error. The max is 4095. Saw this a few pages back. I deleted about a dozen >4095 ones and successfully installed the extender hex file. Now signature 2576A1.

2. When I tried to upload this file to the remote, it give a error message "writeRemote returned -1" and aborted the upload. Now if I download from the remote the signature remains 2576A1, the General tab has all 12 device buttons-unassigned, and the device tab is now empty.

I can still get the originally saved rmir file uploaded to the remote, and it still works.

Initially posted to the wrong thread.
Thanks for reading.
Any suggestions?
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say that some time ago I was able to use the extender with the 4000 version, and to check that, before uploading your devices into the extended remote, you followed the instructions at the top of P.6 of the Installation Manual for OARUSB04G (as I understand it to extend it and put it in the reset state):-

"- Rename the file “Settings_reset_OARUSB04G_extender104(2576A1).bin” in the extender package as simply “settings.bin”.

- Connect your remote to your PC and use standard file copying to copy the settings.bin file of step 2 [edit: i.e. meaning the step above] to the remote. (Do NOT do this by loading settings.bin into RMIR and uploading it — this will NOT work, you MUST use standard file copying to the external drive created when you connect your remote.) Your remote is now in the factory reset state for Extender v1.04.
"

Also in the Manual:-
"1.2 Basic features
There are two variants of the OARUSB04G. The earlier one is identified in RMIR as the OARUSB04G 4000, the later one simply as OARUSB04G. The extender is suitable for both versions.
"

I note that the 'settings.bin' file, which I have also been using on the later OARUSBO4G after renaming it as “settings.bin”, is indeed "Settings_reset_OARUSB04G_extender104(2576A1).bin",
which matches the signature of the unextended later OARUSB04G, but that the manual says this would be ok for both versions.

Would you explain your Problem 1. and kindly give a reference for the page 'a few pages back' because, as I understand it, installing the extender involves just using standard file copying to copy the extender's "Settings_reset_OARUSB04G_extender104(2576A1).bin", renamed as "settings.bin", to the remote, which RMIR would then accept as having signature 2576A1, which I believe would represent a 'reset' but extended remote of the later type?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhezhang wrote:
When I tried to upload this file to the remote

What file? Could you please post the file in the Diagnosis Area of the File Section so we can see what you are trying to upload.

Quote:
I can still get the originally saved rmir file uploaded to the remote, and it still works.

Please post this one as well, to give us maximum information.

Quote:
When installing the extender 1.04, got Setup codes out of range error. The max is 4095.

The remote does not support setup codes greater than 4095 in either its unextended or extended forms, so I do not understand how you had a setup containing them. [Edit: I am wrong about this, see the messages below, so ignore this comment of mine.]

Quote:
I am using RemoteMaster v2.06 build 5.

RMIR has moved on a lot since then. The current version is v2.08 build 1. I don't know if this is related to your problems but in any case I would advise upgrading to this latest version.

Last edited by mathdon on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
bobocher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

The remote does not support setup codes greater than 4095 in either its unextended or extended forms, so I do not understand how you had a setup containing them.

Remember my case from two years ago?

mathdon wrote:
Mystery solved! The setup code for the device causing you problems is 5328. This is the first time I have seen a setup code greater than 4095 (i.e. with more than 12 bits). Revisions R00 and R01 of the URC-6440 only support setup codes up to 4095, and consequently that applies also to the extender, which is based on R01. I see you have R02, which presumably supports setup codes up to 16 bits.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobocher wrote:
Remember my case from two years ago?

Thanks for reminding me, as I had forgotten. That's part of the mystery solved, as his remote IS one that supports setup codes beyond 4095 (up to 8999, I believe). But it adds a new one. He says that his original .rmir file can be uploaded and still works. If that contains setup codes beyond 4095 and the remote really does have the extender installed, it shouldn't work Confused .
zhezhang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: writeRemote returned -1 Reply with quote

you guys are fast! Thanks for everyone’s suggestion.
Did not have time to do much, just re-downloaded the extender, just in case the file was corrupted. Did not make a difference.
To make my procedure more clear, I re-documented what I did yesterday, and numbered the rmir files and the settings.bin files (knowing I will need to change them back to settings.bin when I copy the file(s) to the remote.

Step 0. The original OARUSB04G-4000 remote.
Save the file from the remote as 0-setting.bin. Downloaded the remote into RMIR, and the files is saved as 0-From org remote.rmir. Signature is 257604.

Step 1. Went to the www.simpleset.com web site. Added LG TV, DirecTV set top box, and JVC DVD. The remote set up works now.
The file from the remote is now saved as 1-setting.bin. Downloaded the remote into RMIR, and the files is saved as 1-File-setup-online.rmir.

Step 2. Renamed the file “Settings_reset_OARUSB04G_extender104(2576A1).bin” in the extender package to “settings.bin”, and file copied to the remote.
For completeness this file is also saved as 2-settings.bin, and downloaded the into RMIR, and saved as 2-Ext1.04-supplied-file.rmir. Signature is now 2576A1.

Step 3. Open RMIR, loaded “1-File-setup-online.rmir”, and attempted to Install Extender. Now RMIR is complaining about setup code >4095. So I deleted all devices with setup code>4095 (non of them where used). Uploaded to remote, The setup still works.
The file is saved as 3-File-setup-online-max4095.rmir. File on the remote is saved as 3-setting.bin.

Step 4. Now installed Extender. Signature changed to 2576A1. This file is now named “4-File-setup-online-max4095-w ext.rmir”
Now the problem. When I try to upload to the remote, I got an error message "writeRemote returned -1" and aborted the upload.

Will try the newer RMIR later
Will try to upload file named “4-File-setup-online-max4095-w ext.rmir”. Still learning.
Thanks for everyone’s help.

PS. File uploaded to:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25626
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you have found how to upload a file to the Diagnosis Area. Could you please make a zip file containing all the files you mention, and upload that for me to look at. If you can't do that then please upload 0-setting.bin so I can see what was originally in your remote.

There is something very strange about the .rmir file that you have posted. It appears to go beyond the end of the memory present in the remote. I would not expect RMIR to be able to upload it without error. I cannot even see how RMIR can have created this, unless there is a bug in the old version of RMIR that you are using. If I see your original 0-setting.bin file then I may be able to understand better what is going on.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have remembered that I have an OARUSB04G-4000 and so have been able to do some experiments. Please try the following. Open your file "4-File-setup-online-max4095-w ext.rmir" with a text editor. In the long section of hex data under the heading [Buffer], delete all the lines below the one that starts "1FDF0=". The lines around that one should now read
Code:

1FDE0=FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
1FDF0=FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

[Settings]

[Macro]
Data=04 02 05 02 06 02 07 02 84 02 85 02 86 02 87 02 44 02 45 02 46 02 47 02
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=1
DeviceIndex=1

Save this with a new name but still with a .rmir extension. Now try uploading this file into the remote with the extender installed.

That has worked for me. Please let us know if it works for you. I do not know why the file had these additional lines, but removing them does seem to solve the problem for me.
zhezhang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: writeRemote returned -1 Reply with quote

mathdon,

Thanks for your suggestion. I did try to modify the "4-File-setup-online-max4095-w ext.rmir" as you suggested, and it did successfully up loaded to the remote. And the remote still operates the 3 devices. The new files are saved and named "4a-File-setup-online-max4095-w ext-mod.rmir" and "4a-settings.bin"

I did not realize that for the un-extended remote, after you went to www.simpleset.com web site and setup the remote, the device setup codes are not assigned until you sit in front of your system and do the setup-tv-device-power button press for each device. So the original file "1-File-setup-online.rmir" is now split into two, namely "1a-File-setup-online-not-activated.rmir" and "1b-File-setup-online-activated.rmir".

All the files mentioned today and yesterday are zipped and at:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25626

Will try latest version of RMIR later. Which version is the latest stable version? (or which version are you using?)
Thanks to mathdon again for your help.

PS. Looks like the preview button in the post reply screen does not work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: writeRemote returned -1 Reply with quote

zhezhang wrote:

It does work, but it has problems with certain non-standard characters. In this case, you were using non-standard double quotes. I just replaced them with standard double quotes and now you can preview your post.
zhezhang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: writeRemote returned -1 Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
zhezhang wrote:

It does work, but it has problems with certain non-standard characters. In this case, you were using non-standard double quotes. I just replaced them with standard double quotes and now you can preview your post.

Thanks, I did not know that. I was using MS word to write, and then copy and paste to the post. There is where the non-standard double quotes came from.
zhezhang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: writeRemote returned -1 Reply with quote

mathdon,

Just downloaded and tested RMIR v. 2.08 build 1. A little more testing.

1. All the rmir files before installing the extender has buffer address up to 1FDF0.

2. Loading the file "3-File-setup-online-max4095", into RMIR, I installed the extender. The resulting rmir file buffer address goes all the way to 217F0, instead of the 1FDF0. Same as yesterday when using rmir v.2.06.

3. Starting with file "0-From org remote w ext.rmir" (from the original settings file on the remote). I also installed the extender. The resulting rmir file buffer address again goes all the way to 217F0.

Did not try to upload to my remote, as the addresses are wrong.

Thanks.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will try latest version of RMIR later. Which version is the latest stable version? (or which version are you using?)

My earlier post gave you a link to the announcement thread for RMIR v2.08. That is the latest version. Build 1 of that version is the latest official stable build. The latest development build is build 4, which is available as an upgrade to build 1. That thread gives the links to all builds and is kept up to date as new development or official builds are issued.

Edit: This was posted before I saw your latest post. I will investigate your further problems tomorrow, now that you have posted your full set of files.
zhezhang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon

It is just a project for myself. I am in no hurry. Your help is already a lot more than I expected.

Thanks again.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhezhang wrote:
Your help is already a lot more than I expected.

Thank you, it is always nice to know that our help is appreciated. I have looked at the problem today and I get the same behaviour as you do, so clearly you are doing nothing wrong. But at present I have not tracked down why this is occurring. I will get to the bottom of this and sort it out, and will post further news when I have it. Thank you for your patience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: