JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Kind of Cable to Buy and Where to Buy It.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: What Kind of Cable to Buy and Where to Buy It. Reply with quote

I've owned three cables used to modify JP1.2/1.3 remotes. My first was a Serial cable. When it came it didn't work. The seller had me snip two wires and it started working, but the Serial port was a pain, so the next time I needed to change my remotes I ordered a USB cable. It worked great but I lost it. I replaced it with a cable from diygadget.com. The first cable they sent was DOA. They sent another my Win8 computer recognized but the drivers they linked to didn't make it work and diygadget.com couldn't make it work either. So, I got a refund and ordered from another vendor whose cable worked right off.

I writing this to say, if you're going to jump into JP1 programming, buy a cable with an FTDI chip. You can tell because the vendor will brag about it if it is. Also, I suggest you buy from one of these vendors:

EDIT: Confirmed working alternatives to chip partner:

[Moderator note]Check the following thread for the latest information on where to get cables and how to connect them:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

Last edited by i_am_jim on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jgfarrell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying a cheap FTDI cable from Ebay or wherever, be aware that _if_ it contains a counterfeit FTDI chip, the latest drivers (including from Windows Update) will cause you problems.

Version 2.12.00 (26 August 2014) will semi-permanently brick counterfeit chips, and 2.12.00 (29 September 2014) and later versions will simply fail to function. (Google "FTDI brick")

Earlier driver versions will work, and can still be downloaded, surprisingly enough, from the FTDI website. (Download the VCP drivers under "No Longer Supported")

John
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What source do you suggest?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip_partner above is a known good supplier, so far.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got somecables from a few different vendors, one of which was in the US. I can't recommend any of them over Chip_partner. The US vendor was just as slow to ship as getting the cable all the way from China, despite being just 100 miles from my home. While all the cables I got did function, they were inferior to Chip_partner since they had no TX/RX activity LEDs.

Chip_partner had some issues a while back with their listing picture and description being wrong. But it's all sorted out now.
wtherrell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Ordered one from Tx Sat Reply with quote

Order shipped next day so I should have it this week. They are including a socket extender free of charge with each JP1 order through Dec. 31.
JackFrost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help and confirm that I could use this board and 6pin cables? I can either order from china/ebay and wait 2-3 weeks or I can buy it locally. They sell in Poland board from Waveshare with 6x 1pin cables:

https://www.waveshare.com/ft232-usb-uart-board-type-a.htm

they also sell a USB cable like the one below but not sure if it is a genuine chip that will not be bricked by the latest driver. Since I plan only using it once for programming one remote, I don't mind a pcb board sticking out from my notebook.

USB cable available in Poland:
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I can say is, it *might* work. As you can see from my post in the other thread where you're talking about this, my FTDI cable *does* work with the streamer remote whereas my Prolific cable does *not* work (even though it does work with other remotes), and I can't tell from that page whether the board uses an FTDI chip, it mentions the right part number (FT232RL) but never actually says FTDI. Do you have a link for the USB cable? It has 6 pins which means it's likely to work, but again, it might be relevant which chip it uses.

I try to keep everything we know about potential cables listed here:

but keep in mind that eBay listings come and go, so the links in there often expire.
JackFrost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Best I can say is, it *might* work. As you can see from my post in the other thread where you're talking about this, my FTDI cable *does* work with the streamer remote whereas my Prolific cable does *not* work (even though it does work with other remotes), and I can't tell from that page whether the board uses an FTDI chip, it mentions the right part number (FT232RL) but never actually says FTDI. Do you have a link for the USB cable? It has 6 pins which means it's likely to work, but again, it might be relevant which chip it uses.

I try to keep everything we know about potential cables listed here:

but keep in mind that eBay listings come and go, so the links in there often expire.

The cable is typical no name so I would rather go with the pcb board as Waveshare guarantees it is original FTDI chip. I wonder if anybody tried that interface and wether it is different than the typical cable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they guarantee that it's an FTDI board, I think it's highly likely that it will work.

Do you have a link for the no-name cable?
JackFrost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in polish: https://allegro.pl/oferta/konwerter-usb-ttl-uklad-ftdi-ft232rl-9979654199

Translated description:

Quote:
USB cable is TTL to FT232RL
USB to RS232 TTL converter module based on FT232RL by FTDI. The module allows you to connect devices with an RS232 port to a computer or laptop in order to update the software, control or measure. It enables connection to electric meters, mobile phones, set-top boxes, programmers, satellite tuners, car diagnostic interfaces, routers, eg Cisco routers, alarm centers, GPS and many others.

Also highly recommended for building systems based on AVR PIC Arduino microprocessors etc. Thanks to the use of the FT232RL chip, we have access to drivers and software: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

technical data:

cable UST to UART TTL
built on the basis of the standard FT232RL chip
cables provides a quick and easy way to connect to a device having a serial interface with TTL levels
all electronics hidden in the USB plug
signal derived: Vcc 5V GND RxD TxD RTS CTS
USB type A plug
connector output for the 2.54mm GOLD-PIN strip
cable length; 1m

I am worried it will be same as other cables you have tested that just not does not work for some reason.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it should be 3.3 Volt; otherwise you will (likely?) fry the remote.

I have been using original cables from FTDI, model TTL-232R-3V3, but they appear to be comparatively hard to find today. (Mouser has them though; there is even a mouser.pl site.)

A third-party cable with FTDI chip "should" work, as long as it is 3.3 V and has the required signals.
JackFrost

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From I have read here, I can use the remote batteries as a power source without connecting VCCIO from the board and it is actually not even recommended.
So in that way it should be safer while leaving the jumper in 3.3V position.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Barf is referring to the signal voltage on each pin, not VCC since we never connect that anyway. If that jumper makes everything 3.3V, you should be ok.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all FTDI cables come with 5v on the VCC line, and that's all that I take that listings mention of 5v to mean, so I think that cable should work perfectly fine for JP1 use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: