JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony cx-995v Laser replacement DBU-3 Instruction Not Clear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devoir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Sony cx-995v Laser replacement DBU-3 Instruction Not Clear Reply with quote

I have a few Sony cx-995v units one of them has started failing to read some disc that I put in the unit. Doesn't matter if they are new or backups. The unit only had 2800 hours according the the usage log found by entering the "Start Testing Mode" b pressing Top Menu, Clear, Power in sequence.

I searched this forum and found a discussion on replacement laser DBU-3. I ordered it from AliExpress.com The unit per it's label the same model as the one I removed...

I installed the laser in the player however the laser doesn't emit any light like the original nor does the disc spin. I removed the unit and reinstalled the old unit. It spun the disc and emitted light. I swapped back and forth a few times with same result..

Looking at the AliExpress.com website there is a vague instruction.

Since the laser diode of this parts assembly is treated to prevent itself from electrostatic breakdown,make sure to remove the solder.

Can anyone explain where to remove solder or share what they did to get their replacement laser unit working ????
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest manual that I found does not show this but there will be a small solder pad on the assembly near the laser that will have a blob of solder on it (bridging two or three copper traces on mylar film). You'll have to compare the old and new to locate it.

Touching a clean, hot soldering iron to the blob will usually lift the solder right off. It is usually accessible after assembly since you are supposed to connect the wiring and connections before you remove the solder.

A Factory assembly usually comes with an insert that details the location of the solder bridge.

Be aware that there are other possible simple causes of read errors. The disc table can move slightly downward, so the disk is out of focus reach. Another tricky one is that a part of the disk table gets sticky (center bump or ring) and the disk wobbles. (The disk table fits into the center of the disks, is mounted on the spindle motor shaft, and centers the disk and is the lower clamping point)
Devoir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Solder it Reply with quote

Zaphod thanks I will have to look closer or take some covers off the unit to find this solder pad....
Devoir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures to share of this location to remove solder?
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any covers to remove. It may be on the moving optic assembly or on a side board. I don't have a picture of your particular block but I have a picture with two examples of (hopefully) similar optics showing the solder blobs and the paper that should have been included with your new one. We cannot post images to the forum but I could email it to you. I'm not set up with any public image sites.
Devoir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Many thanks please send the photo to Devoir
Devoir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Ah Ha moment Reply with quote

Zaphod many thanks I will try it in the morning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: