JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am right out of ideas. To go further needs a Mac expert. I will PM one and ask him to look at this thread.
laudou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

Hi Graham

I'm sorry I gave you all those headaches. Meanwhile, I am still unable to load an upgrade to that Atlas remote even when using Windows 8.1 where RM keeps giving me a "No remotes found" message.

Have a nice day

Laudou
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not giving up. Unclemiltie, an experienced Mac user, is going to look at this thread and give you the benefit of his experience with RMIR on a Mac.

As for "No remotes found" with the Atlas 1056B01 under Windows, that is a separate puzzle. I've looked again at your earlier messages and you say the other remote you have successfully downloaded on Windows is a URC-8990. I can't find such a remote among the ones we support. Is there is a misprint in the number? If not, and you can download it, please look at the Raw Data tab and tell me what that lists (on the right-hand panel) as Interface. Is it by any chance JP1.2? The Atlas is JP1.3. If they are both JP1.3 then it suggests to me that there is something wrong in the hardware of the Atlas, as even if there is some reason why RMIR cannot download from the Atlas, it should at least recognise its presence. However, we have recently come across a Chinese-made interface lead being advertised as supporting JP1.3 when it in fact only supported JP1.1 and JP1.2.

Edit: A weird thought! I've just looked at my Atlas 1056 B03, whose external appearance is the same as the B01. I see that the 6-pin connector is the other way round from my other remotes. Looking into the battery compartment, pin 1 is top right. Have you by any chance got your lead the wrong way round when using the Atlas?

Last edited by mathdon on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham asked me to respond since he knows that I use a Mac for "most" of my JP1 work (extender development has to be done on PC since the S3F8 assembler still only runs on Windows, but I do it on a Parallels virtual machine)

I am currently running RemoteMaster 2.03 build 14 on my Yosemite Mac (10.10.2) with no issues.

There are a couple of things that you need to get right to get the thing to work properly:

1: download and install the FTDI drivers for Mac, the version that I am using is

FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_16

and is available on the FTDI site

2: you need to make sure that you have the JP1 serial libraries in the right spot within the folder that holds the RemoteMaster.jar file. this is

/Mac OS X-x86-64

There are three files in there that come with the distribution:

libDecodeIR.jnilib
libhidapi.jnilib
libjp12serial.jnilib

Note: Graham, I remember when I upgraded to Yosemite that I had to rename some of those files since the newest JVM on Mac applied some different file extensions and things weren't working, but I think you were going to force the issue in a newer release of the code. Could that be the issue?

3: I did not need to run any of the scripts for Linux to make it work. I don't know if maybe the Linux script screwed up some of the mac stuff? I'd suggest re-downloading and re-installing into a different folder so that you get the "clean" permissions, etc.

if you need me to look up some permissions or other things let me know. I've been running JP1 tools on Mac for a couple of years now and it all seems to work pretty well. There are the occasional issue like when the JVM decided to look for new default file extensions, but in general things are good.

FYI - Graham, there are still numerous warnings in the master.err file on my mac, mostly about protocol versions and names. I assume you know about this but if you would like me to send it to you let me know.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to unclemiltie's reply:

a) the serial libraries should automatically be in the right place when you unzip the RMIR distribution, and the issue with extensions in the latest JVM is resolved in all builds of Alpha 28.

b) Don't worry if you don't see libhidapi.jnilib in the library folder immediately after unzipping the RMIR distribution. It is created by RMIR when you first run it, and only in the library folder your setup actually uses (i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit).

Do note my edit to my previous post. I have this nasty suspicion that you are connecting the interface cable the wrong way round.
laudou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You are right, I mistyped the URC #. Actually, it is a 8910. I just repeated the experience with my URC-8910 downloading from remote using RM 28 v19 on my mac using Yosemite 10.10.2. I then tried downloading from the Atlas remote and I got the same RM message saying that the download error that it might be due to a bug in RM and suggesting to make a raw download and send it to your diagnosis area, which I just did.

My Atlas remote is China made. It bears the Time Warner Cable sign on its front face. As you are saying, pin number one is located in the top right corner and I did try placing the JPI connector int the two possible positions: they both return error message described above.

Thanks again

mathdon wrote:
We're not giving up. Unclemiltie, an experienced Mac user, is going to look at this thread and give you the benefit of his experience with RMIR on a Mac.

As for "No remotes found" with the Atlas 1056B01 under Windows, that is a separate puzzle. I've looked again at your earlier messages and you say the other remote you have successfully downloaded on Windows is a URC-8990. I can't find such a remote among the ones we support. Is there is a misprint in the number? If not, and you can download it, please look at the Raw Data tab and tell me what that lists (on the right-hand panel) as Interface. Is it by any chance JP1.2? The Atlas is JP1.3. If they are both JP1.3 then it suggests to me that there is something wrong in the hardware of the Atlas, as even if there is some reason why RMIR cannot download from the Atlas, it should at least recognise its presence. However, we have recently come across a Chinese-made interface lead being advertised as supporting JP1.3 when it in fact only supported JP1.1 and JP1.2.

Edit: A weird thought! I've just looked at my Atlas 1056 B03, whose external appearance is the same as the B01. I see that the 6-pin connector is the other way round from my other remotes. Looking into the battery compartment, pin 1 is top right. Have you by any chance got your lead the wrong way round when using the Atlas?
laudou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for helping me.

To begin with, let me tell you that I tried to load an upgrade to my Atlas1056B01 remote via VMWare Fusion running Windows 7. The result was a bit different from what I got with my Mac and from my PC. In fact, when I clicked on "upload to remote" the normal uploading activity symbol at the bottom of the RM window started up and continued after the infamous "no remotes found" window appeared. I had to cancel the upload that was obviously not working in spite of the "right" appearance. I should mention that all my attempts were made using RM 2.0.3 Alpha28 Build 19.

FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_16 does not seem to be available for download from FTDI site that is why I downloaded v.2.2.18. I checked the /Mac OS X-x86-64 folder and the necessary files are there.

I am afraid I made you guys spend a lot of time on what might be a hardware problem with the Atlas remote I just bought.

If that is the case, will you forgive me?

Thanks again
Laudou

unclemiltie wrote:
Graham asked me to respond since he knows that I use a Mac for "most" of my JP1 work (extender development has to be done on PC since the S3F8 assembler still only runs on Windows, but I do it on a Parallels virtual machine)

I am currently running RemoteMaster 2.03 build 14 on my Yosemite Mac (10.10.2) with no issues.

There are a couple of things that you need to get right to get the thing to work properly:

1: download and install the FTDI drivers for Mac, the version that I am using is

FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_16

and is available on the FTDI site

2: you need to make sure that you have the JP1 serial libraries in the right spot within the folder that holds the RemoteMaster.jar file. this is

/Mac OS X-x86-64

There are three files in there that come with the distribution:

libDecodeIR.jnilib
libhidapi.jnilib
libjp12serial.jnilib

Note: Graham, I remember when I upgraded to Yosemite that I had to rename some of those files since the newest JVM on Mac applied some different file extensions and things weren't working, but I think you were going to force the issue in a newer release of the code. Could that be the issue?

3: I did not need to run any of the scripts for Linux to make it work. I don't know if maybe the Linux script screwed up some of the mac stuff? I'd suggest re-downloading and re-installing into a different folder so that you get the "clean" permissions, etc.

if you need me to look up some permissions or other things let me know. I've been running JP1 tools on Mac for a couple of years now and it all seems to work pretty well. There are the occasional issue like when the JVM decided to look for new default file extensions, but in general things are good.

FYI - Graham, there are still numerous warnings in the master.err file on my mac, mostly about protocol versions and names. I assume you know about this but if you would like me to send it to you let me know.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Laudou
As far as I can see, you haven't said whether your attempt to download your URC-8910 on the Mac was successful. Do please let us know. If you can use the Mac to download from the URC-8910 but not the Atlas, as they are both JP1.3 remotes I think we have to conclude that there is a fault in the Atlas. If you can download from the URC-8910 in Windows but not the Mac then there is still something that we need to investigate.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8910 is JP1 EEPROM, not JP1.3.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
AtlasOCAP 1056 B01 - One has red "Time Warner Cable" and many unlabbeled buttons.
The other has dark blue "Time Warner Cable" and all buttons are labelled.
Both have pin 1 on the upper right side with remote pointing up.
Both are made in China. Both use jp1.2/3 cable from Tommy. Black dot is for pin 1 side.
See my white dot? That's pin 1 in this picture
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13307

8910 is jp1 and uses a different cable (parallel or serial, but not JP1.x) and connector. There pin1 is clear where the frame around the pins is rounded at pin 1 corner.
laudou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was able to download from my URC-8910 on my Mac after installing the FTDI software but not the Atlas. As for Windows I will have to do the tests over again to make sure I give you the right answer. I'll report as soon as I am done.

mathdon wrote:
Hi, Laudou
As far as I can see, you haven't said whether your attempt to download your URC-8910 on the Mac was successful. Do please let us know. If you can use the Mac to download from the URC-8910 but not the Atlas, as they are both JP1.3 remotes I think we have to conclude that there is a fault in the Atlas. If you can download from the URC-8910 in Windows but not the Mac then there is still something that we need to investigate.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laudou wrote:
Yes, I was able to download from my URC-8910 on my Mac after installing the FTDI software but not the Atlas. As for Windows I will have to do the tests over again to make sure I give you the right answer. I'll report as soon as I am done.

The 8910 and Atlas use different connections. Since you're using FTDI drivers, you must have a JP1.3 cable, connected to a JP1 EEPROM adapter connected to your 8910. That JP1 adapter must be removed before you plug the cable into your Atlas.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The 8910 is JP1 EEPROM, not JP1.3.

Oops, sorry Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed . I looked at the RDF and saw S3C80 processor. My memory erroneously told me this was JP1.3. I see now it is JP1. So perhaps, Laudou, there is nothing wrong with your Atlas. Perhaps you have the wrong cable.

mdavej wrote:
Since you're using FTDI drivers, you must have a JP1.3 cable, connected to a JP1 EEPROM adapter connected to your 8910.

Tommy's later JP1 interface cables used the FTDI chip and they appear to RMIR as a JP1.2/3 cable. Essentially I think they incorporate the JP1 EEPROM adapter design into the interface. I know, I have one, and cables to Tommy's design are still available from TxSat. So, Laudou, you may have a cable of this design and although it looks to RMIR as if it is a JP1.2/3 cable it actually only supports JP1 remotes.
laudou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
laudou wrote:

The 8910 and Atlas use different connections. Since you're using FTDI drivers, you must have a JP1.3 cable, connected to a JP1 EEPROM adapter connected to your 8910. That JP1 adapter must be removed before you plug the cable into your Atlas.

Bingo! I cannot believe that the solution was that simple! Removing the JPI adapter let me load the upgrade to the Atlas remote. I had no idea it could be removed.
Thanks a lot.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, success at last Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Could you finally confirm that you are using build 19 on the Mac to do your upload? It would be nice to have confirmation that build 19 really does work with the Mac. And are you starting it by simply double-clicking the .jar file?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: