JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laudou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

I am trying to load an upgrade to an Atlas 1056B01 remote. When I try to download from remote to RMv.2.02a I get the following message:"RemoteMaster.v2.02a/Maps and Images required for RM-IR-Version 1.32/XSightPlus.map (No such file or directory)". However when I look into the above mentioned folder I can see the right map and jpeg image.
What am I doing wrong? What is that XSightPlus.map?
Thanks
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you are getting this message. It suggests that RM is reading the RDF file for an XSight remote but can't find the map file it references. But RM v2.02a and Maps and Images v1.32 are over two years out of date. I know SourceForge still says it is the latest version, but that is because there has not been a new official release since then. RM v2.03 is just round the corner, though, and the development version RemoteMaster v2.03 Alpha 28 is more stable than v2.02a. I suggest you download and try that and report again if you still have problems. This development version, and all future releases, includes the latest set of RDFs, maps and images so that it runs "out of the box" without you needing to hunt for any separate downloads.
laudou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded RemoteMaster v2.03 Alpha 28 and I got a different result. When I tried to download from remote I got a long message telling me that the problem might due to a bug in RM and suggesting me to to make a raw download and to send the saved file to this site so that experts might analyze it. Unfortunately. after doing the raw download the "Save" button does not work. I cannot save the file.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

mathdon wrote:
I'm not sure why you are getting this message. It suggests that RM is reading the RDF file for an XSight remote but can't find the map file it references. But RM v2.02a and Maps and Images v1.32 are over two years out of date. I know SourceForge still says it is the latest version, but that is because there has not been a new official release since then. RM v2.03 is just round the corner, though, and the development version RemoteMaster v2.03 Alpha 28 is more stable than v2.02a. I suggest you download and try that and report again if you still have problems. This development version, and all future releases, includes the latest set of RDFs, maps and images so that it runs "out of the box" without you needing to hunt for any separate downloads.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Save" button not working. Do you mean it remains disabled (greyed out)? If it is not disabled, does anything at all happen when you press it? It should open a dialog for you to select where to save the file. Does the download actually happen? Does the hex display fill with data? Does the "DOWNLOADING ..." message disappear when the download ends?

Answers to these questions will help, but could you also please post (in the Diagnosis Area of the File Section) the rmaster.err file you get after trying a raw download. Close RMIR after the download attempt before you copy this file, which you will find in your installation folder containing RemoteMaster.jar. You need to include a link to your uploaded file in your post in this thread.
laudou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

Let me give you a complete report of my attempts to load an upgrade to that Atlas remote. From the beginning I have been working on a Mac computer running Yosemite 10.10.2. As reported earlier nothing was working with my Atlas remote upgrade attempt. Just to make sure my cable was working fine, I tested RM with a URC-8990. Same result as with the Atlas, that is nothing working.
I then decided to give it a try on my PC running Windows 8. Everything worked fine with the URC-8990; I was able to download from the remote as RM recognized my remote. Then I switched to the Atlas and, guess what, RM replied: "No remotes found". There was no way RM would see my Atlas remote. I know that the Atlas is working since I use it to control my LCD large screen tv.
Any idea what is wrong? Any suggestion?
Thanks

I mean when I click on the Save button nothing happens even if it gets blue as if it were working. I get no dialog box asking me where to save the file. If ever I can get the file download to save I will post in the diagnosis area.
Thanks again

mathdon wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "Save" button not working. Do you mean it remains disabled (greyed out)? If it is not disabled, does anything at all happen when you press it? It should open a dialog for you to select where to save the file. Does the download actually happen? Does the hex display fill with data? Does the "DOWNLOADING ..." message disappear when the download ends?

Answers to these questions will help, but could you also please post (in the Diagnosis Area of the File Section) the rmaster.err file you get after trying a raw download. Close RMIR after the download attempt before you copy this file, which you will find in your installation folder containing RemoteMaster.jar. You need to include a link to your uploaded file in your post in this thread.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, the error messages you were getting came from your Mac. You don't get them on Windows, though you get "No remotes found" with the Atlas.

Could you please try something. The download site for RMIR v2.03 Alpha 28 has build 13 available as well as build 19. Could you please try build 13 on your Mac, and start RMIR by running the RMIR.sh shell script (which is not part of build 19). We have little experience of RMIR on Mac OS X and it is possible that changes I made for build 19 to improve Linux support actually caused problems for Mac OS X.

Assuming this does not resolve the problem, please post the rmaster.err file from an attempt to do a raw download of the Atlas on the Mac, as I suggested in my previous post. It is very hard to guess what is happening without some concrete info, and the rmaster.err file should give some clue. I have never before come across raw download working but not being able to save, and cannot even envisage what could cause it.

It might also help to know exactly what interface cable you are using to connect the remotes to your computers.
laudou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

I downloaded build 13. When I double click the rmir.sh, it opens a textedit document. Should I copy and paste its content into the terminal to launch RM. As for the cable I am using, it is a JP1.2/3 model.

mathdon wrote:
If I understand correctly, the error messages you were getting came from your Mac. You don't get them on Windows, though you get "No remotes found" with the Atlas.

Could you please try something. The download site for RMIR v2.03 Alpha 28 has build 13 available as well as build 19. Could you please try build 13 on your Mac, and start RMIR by running the RMIR.sh shell script (which is not part of build 19). We have little experience of RMIR on Mac OS X and it is possible that changes I made for build 19 to improve Linux support actually caused problems for Mac OS X.

Assuming this does not resolve the problem, please post the rmaster.err file from an attempt to do a raw download of the Atlas on the Mac, as I suggested in my previous post. It is very hard to guess what is happening without some concrete info, and the rmaster.err file should give some clue. I have never before come across raw download working but not being able to save, and cannot even envisage what could cause it.

It might also help to know exactly what interface cable you are using to connect the remotes to your computers.
laudou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

I downloaded build 13. When I double click the rmir.sh, it opens a textedit document. Should I copy and paste its content into the terminal to launch RM. As for the cable I am using, it is a JP1.2/3 model.

mathdon wrote:

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run RMIR.sh from terminal with "sh RMIR.sh" or "bash RMIR.sh" or whatever the name of the shell is on a Mac.

I would like to know EXACTLY what JP1.2/3 lead you are using. What supplier, what chip it uses (FTDI or Prolific) and a link to the supplier website if possible. Not all JP1.2/3 interface cables are equivalent.

PLEASE also post the rmaster.err file that I have asked for. This is the third time of asking. If you don't give me the information I ask for, I cannot help you. I have also asked before, does the raw download actually happen? Does the hex display fill with data? Does the "DOWNLOADING ..." message disappear when the download ends? I still need answers to this.

I am beginning to get some explanation and some theories. You are using Mac Yosemite, so I presume your Java version is Java 7. RMIR v2.02a cannot download under Java 7 on a Mac as it cannot find the library files. That explains your initial problems. The fact that you cannot download the URC-8990 on the Mac but can under Windows suggests that there is actually something wrong with Alpha 28 build 19 on a Mac, which is why I have asked you to try build 13. Please try downloading both remotes if you get build 13 running on the Mac. As for "No remotes found" with the Atlas under Windows, the only explanation I can think of is that you don't actually have an Atlas 1056 B01, you have an Atlas 1056 B03. This is a JP2 remote whereas the B01 is a JP1.3 remote. JP2 remotes have a problem downloading with interface cables using the Prolific chip. They need a cable with the FTDI chip.

This is all speculation, however, so PLEASE answer the questions I have asked and DO post that rmaster.err file. If you replaced build 19 with build 13 and can't get RMIR.sh to run, then do what you presumably did before and run RMIR by double-clicking the RemoteMaster.jar file of build 13. But one way or the other, post an rmaster.err file from the Mac after attempting a raw download of the Atlas remote.
laudou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help and sorry about the confusion I may have caused.
I ran "sh RMIR.sh" from the terminal which returned "no such file or directory".

My computer is running Java 8.0 build 1.8.0_31-b13

Here is some more info. I was able to find info about my JPI cable in "Apple System Info". It is a FT232R-USB-UART, the supplier ID is 0x403-Future Technology Technology Devices International.

Now your question: "does the raw download actually happen? Does the hex display fill with data? Does the "DOWNLOADING ..." message disappear when the download ends? I still need answers to this. " The hex windows fills with letters and numbers in the first column and zeros in all the other columns and the message does not disappear when the download ends but an err file can be found in the RM folder even no dialog window opens asking where to save the file.

I carried out another experiment using V28 build 19, this time using an older Mac running OS X 10.7.2. I was able to download from remote URC-8990 and to upload an upgrade to the remote. However when I tried to upload an upgrade to my Atlas 1056B01(id number printed on the back of the remote) RM returned a message saying about this: "the upgrade you are trying to load does not match the signature of the attached remote". If there were a way to attach pics to my post I could send you screen captures of the error messages I am getting.

How can I attach the err file to this message? I did upload the err file to the diagnosis area last night.

I hope this new info helps a bit.

Edited by 3FG to add link to rmaster.err file.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we are getting somewhere slowly. The rmaster.err file shows that RMIR can open the interface but cannot read the remote. These tasks are performed by the library file libjp12serial.jnilib. This is compiled C++ code so the problem is nothing to do with Java or the RemoteMaster.jar file. The failure of the Save button is because libjp12serial.jnilib cannot read the signature of the remote and so cannot construct the default filename to save.

We need to find out why the library file cannot read the remote. The first thing to rule out is whether it is a question of permissions. This is why I suggested running RMIR.sh. That opens RMIR with root privileges. If it still fails then it is not a permissions issue. Please try running RMIR.sh again, but making sure that the current directory is the installation directory for RemoteMaster when you try the command "sh RMIR.sh" (or whatever shell you used). Your error message suggests that it was looking in the wrong directory. You need to be in the installation directory for RMIR when you issue the command, something I forgot to mention previously. If that still doesn't work, please try entering "sudo RemoteMaster.jar" in terminal with the current directory being the RMIR installation one.

If you manage to run RMIR.sh and the raw download still fails, then it suggests there is some incompatibility between Yosemite and libjp12serial.jnilib. Resolving that will require a JP1 expert with a Mac who can do some testing. Let us first try to rule out the permissions question. If it is needed, I will then try to find an appropriate expert who can do that.

Please don't give up on us. It is important for us to resolve any incompatibilities between the latest development RMIR and Mac Yosemite before making an official release of RMIR v2.03, which is otherwise imminent, and your help is important to us.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info for you, laudou. A search showed me that you are not the first to experience exactly this behaviour with Mac OS X Yosemite. Please see this post and the discussion in that thread which follows it. It appears that the solution there was to install the current FTDI driver from FTDI's own website: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. Give that a try, too.
laudou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Atlas1056B01 upgrade impossible Reply with quote

Graham

Thanks for your patience. I have no intention whatsoever to give up on you. However, you are leading me to unfamiliar technical territory. I assure you that I will do my best to follow your advice.
I had installed the current FTDI driver "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18 " before my previous post. A weird thing seems to be happening in the Network System Preferences as it looks like two "modem" ports have been added, that is a Built-in-Serial Port(1)2 and a FT232R USB UART both being recognized as "Dial up services". They probably need to be configured but I have no idea how.
Before I run any other test you suggested, I want to make sure I understand what you want me to do; do you want me to run "sh RMIR.sh" in RM28 build 13 or 19?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you run "sh RMIR.sh" in build 13. The shell script RMIR.sh is not part of build 19, but if you wish, there is no harm in copying it into your build 19 installation folder and running it there as well. What is important is that this script is in the same folder as the RemoteMaster.jar version that you want to run, and that this is the current directory in Terminal when you perform the "sh RMIR.sh" command.

In my browsing I think I saw something about two entries being created by the driver installation, so probably no need to worry. However, my technical knowledge of Mac OS X is nil, so we may both need to call on a Mac expert very soon. As I said before, if necessary I will try to get one involved.
laudou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reply from terminal after running "rmir.sh" command:

Last login: Mon Apr 6 18:26:56 on ttys000
/sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
[MacProdeLaurierDoucet6:~] laurierdoucet1% /Applications/RemoteMaster.v2.03Alpha28build13/rmir.sh ; exit;
expr: syntax error
expr: syntax error
/Applications/RemoteMaster.v2.03Alpha28build13/rmir.sh: line 4: [: -gt: unary operator expected
/Applications/RemoteMaster.v2.03Alpha28build13/rmir.sh: line 10: gksudo: command not found
logout

Now, I will upload the raw download file from the Atlas remote to the diagnosis area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: