JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Atlas 1056B01 weak IR?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sti491

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Atlas 1056B01 weak IR? Reply with quote

Hello, I recently had a great experience learning how to program an extended RCA RCRP05B and more recently an Atlas 1056B01, because I wanted backlit buttons. All is good. But I noticed one thing between the two remotes that is not optimal with the Atlas.

The IR signal does not seem as strong, or perhaps its narrower than my RCA. I know my new Vizio TV IR window isn't the greatest. With the OEM Vizio remote the IR functionality is worse than either of these JP1 remotes.

I was wondering;

1. If the Atlas is known to have a weaker IR, or might it just be the particular one I bought on E-bay?

2. Also, it appears that the Atlas 1056B03 might be newer (?)... I was wondering if it's IR signal might be stronger?

3. Would the same extender I am using on my Atlas 1056B01 work on an Atlas 1056B03?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR strength should be the same. Different angle or weak batteries? Backlight will drain the batteries a lot faster.

The B03 is newer, but internally very different and a truly terrible remote. It has a completely different extender, thanks to Mathdon, but much more limited functionality. The extender pretty much only makes the remote usable by adding functionality that other JP1 remotes already have like keymoves and device specific macros. There is no toadtog, fast macros, nested macros, key group mapping, LKP, etc. I personally wouldn't touch it.

Sometime this weekend I'll dust off one of my 1056B01s and see how it works with my Vizio and post back.
sti491

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was thinking about picking up another 1056B01 anyway, for my next system, while they are so cheap. Maybe the next one would work better?

I really like the RCA size and button feel a little better. I get most of the buttons right by feel in the dark, but not all the time. Back lit buttons are nice.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 1056B01 has a single bulb protruding from casing, try taking it apart and pushing it further out of remote. Did wonders for the 6131.
sti491

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has two bulbs Masked man. Thanks for the suggestion though. It works "Ok". Just not as good as the RCA.

I wonder if that might work with the two bulb? I don't want to break the remote trying (!).
sti491

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-bay seller I got the Atlas from was very service oriented. He agreed to send me another one free, with a pre-paid return label so I can send one back. That's a great e-bay seller there!

I'll let you know the outcome checking the IR functionality of the replacement remote. It will be interesting to see.
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second Atlas I got performed about the same as the first one, possibly slightly better. I made sure I was using fresh batteries in both. There is definitely a difference to the superior IR of the RCA, However, I have continued to use the Atlas with the backlit feature. I learned how to bounce the IR off the windows and other ways to make it pretty reliable.

It's a drawback to this remote, but it's pretty minor once you get used to it.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a receiver I have, my RCA will work it from 35 feet, and Atlas 30. Ditto for TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: