JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is my RCRP05B toast?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Is my RCRP05B toast? Reply with quote

I have used JP1 and it's successors for years and never had any problems. I was trying to put new codes in my RCRP05B to control a Monoprice HDMI switch. I have been having issues with the codes and tried a new combination. I added a new Device and uploaded it to the remote, and everything seemed to go fine. Then I removed the cable, and I pressed the device key I wanted to use. Nothing happened including no light lighting up on the remote.

The remote seems completely dead. I've tried to upload or download from the remote and every time I do the red light blinks a few times followed by the green light blinking twice, and then instead of the lights continuing, it stops, and I get an error message in IR "failed to open JP1.x interface." It doesn't matter if I do it with or without the batteries in place. When I install batteries, nothing blinks, and if I press "setup" nothing happens.

So, I assume I've fried the memory. Is there any way around this, or is it completely dead, and does anyone have any idea how it happened so I can prevent problems in the future?

TIA

SMK
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds broken, but maybe not.
1. If you press some buttons (ch, vol, power) can you see it in your digital camera?
2. Any chance the cable failed? JP1.2/3 usb cable, right? Sounds like some handshake tried to took place, but then nothing, right? 3FG might know what to test/look at.
3. Pin 1 is marked with a black dot on the cable. Pin 1 in this remote is upper-right corner when you hold it with the batteries down. Reversed will not work.
4. Anything maybe in the Windows event log? Or, if using rmir, in its .err file. Perhaps some clues there?
5. Adding a device shouldn't have fry it, unless, maybe a wrong RDF would do it? I don't remember how these things work as I'm in the process of unarchiving one of those RCA remotes.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it possible for a normal upload from RMIR to a remote to fry the memory, or even for it to corrupt the firmware. I recall several cases where this has apparently happened, including one of my own, but it has always turned out to be a data issue that can be resolved. It sounds to me as if, when you put the batteries back in, the data is causing the start-up process to get stuck in an infinite loop from which it doesn't recognise button presses or even the initial dialog when RMIR tries to open the remote.

I don't know enough about how these interfaces work to make a sensible suggestion as to how you might get out of this, but it might possibly be worth trying the following: take the batteries out, start RMIR, connect the remote to the computer and THEN put the batteries back before trying a download. The idea is to get its start-up routine to see the interface before it gets stuck in its loop.

If that doesn't work, I hope some expert more knowledgeable in hardware matters can help. So don't give up yet.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same issue recently. Ended up throwing the remote in the garbage as I had plenty of spares. Bad part is when it's in this state, it won't respond to any button presses at all. Loaded the same exact file into a different remote, and it worked fine the first time. On the remote I fried, I may have had the connector upside down at some point, so that was probably the culprit.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, the upgrades and the entire setup might be worth far more to RoyGBiv than this 8 dollar remote. So rescuing would be nice.

Graham, Interesting idea about the startup loop.
Slightly OT: if you download/upload using a wrong RDF, would it cause to fry the remote?[/b]
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Slightly OT: if you download/upload using a wrong RDF, would it cause to fry the remote?

I think, but am not sure, that jp12serial will not allow you to write to the firmware area even if the RDF has the wrong address range for the EEPROM area. But presumably RoyBGiv has not messed with the standard RDF for the RCRP05G so in any case the RDF should not be an issue.

I have one further thought. All UEI remotes seem to have a Test Mode that does not use the EEPROM data area at all. In this mode, all buttons on the remote send an NEC1 signal determined by the internal keycode of the button. It should be possible to enter this mode, regardless of the uploaded data (assuming the memory really is not fried).

I don't know how Test Mode is entered in this remote. It always involves removing the batteries and holding down two keys together while reinserting them (or pressing them simultaneously, so both go down together, within about 5 seconds of reinserting the batteries). I know that on some remotes the two keys are digits 1 and 3. That is worth a try. Test Mode times out about half a minute after the last keypress in that mode. If it will enter Test Mode, it may be possible to get the remote to be recognised by RMIR before that mode times out.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, was an extender involved?

If all else fails, open the case and look at the solder joints on the 6 pin connector. The RCA is very fragile, and I take extreme care when plugging and unplugging my cable. I've bricked 2.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I haven't responded but I haven't been back to this forum for a while.

It was definitely something related to the cable as I could not get the cable to work with the 9910's I also program but whatever happened also fried the remote. I got a new cable and 2 new RCRP05Bs. I was able to use it for the 9910's and the 2 new RCAs. The new cable still could not interface with the fried RCA.

There was no extender involved, and I had already saved the file, so I had a good one to upload to the replacements.

I don't know exactly what happened, but I now suspect that I disconnected the cable from the remote before the red flashes on the remote stopped. Also, the 9910's require the batteries to be in during upload/download, but the RCAs seem to work whether the batteries are in or not, so now I'm doing everything with the batteries out.

SMK
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: