JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Navigating RMIR - how to change protocol number?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Navigating RMIR - how to change protocol number? Reply with quote

Trying to relearn RM and learn new technology. So I started from scratch - navigating through RMIR v202a
1. So far, I made a new RMIR file with just 3 devices built in KM. I saved the file but RMIR objects to all the 0000 setup codes for the unused devices. What now?
2. I have a KM upgrade file which came into RMIR just fine. But I have to change the protocol.
I never used this file in any previous RMIR work, which I forgot anyway.
In IR it was just a matter of adding FF. How do I do it in RMIR?
I posted a screenshot where I am stuck
ManualProtocol.jpg http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13042
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1) if I understand the problem, you probably see the 0000 setup codes displayed in red font. Assign a valid setup code to each of these. An easy way to do this is to click on the Code Selector Icon-- the rightmost icon with purple font and the number 0132 at the top of the icon. Pick any setup code and click assign. This assures that your remote knows what to do with any device mode selection.

For 2), one way is to use a text editor on the KM txt file, and edit the Upgrade protocol to 0 = 015A. Save it and load that upgrade into RMIR. But.... why are you using KM, and why are you using this hacked NEC executor and upgrade? Do you really want a minimum of 10 repeats on some buttons?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, 3FG. It's rough to get back to remote things Sad
(1) I'll try that. Any setup code will do? But then I can add more devices over those phoney numbers, right?

(2) It's an old KM file, the only one I have. That executor is from Rob and I find it useful for this old Yamaha box volume control. Just 2 buttons (if bit 5 of OBC is set, repeat).
Not sure I understand what you suggest, especially messing with the KM file.
But I read some instructions about RM
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=PB:_Adding_to_Remote_Master_%28RM%29
which indicate to make the change on the Setup tab of the device upgrade file which is ok by me, I intended to convert KM file to RMDU anyway.

So I tried. I added the protocol. Found it in the dropdown list and selected 015A.
At that point I'm stuck again, because I have no idea where to put the Parameters for device 122 and the Parm value, because the headings are now Device 1,2 and 3. When I tried putting the numbers in, the fixed bytes became 3 zeros. If you look at my screenie from yesterday, you'll see what needs to go there.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like an .ir file containing this protocol can't be imported into RMIR.
.err log ends with "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 255" followed by many lines, most containing "(Unknown Source)"
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz,

As you well know, its a lot easier to work along with you if we have the TXT file. I hunted in the file section, you only have one Yamaha.txt file posted, and that doesn't seem to be the correct one.

Can you post a link to the file in question.

I think you can probably understand why I was crying when I was getting back into this after a 3 year absence. Laughing If you remember you and the Capn held my hand through the process of coming back up to speed. Hopefully we can get you back up to speed.

Vicky
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, more than you asked for
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13045
I included all KM files that belong to the .ir file. Yamaha's use of 015A is the only issue so far in trying to use it in RMIR.
Also included a failed attempt at making .rmdu I spoke of in the 3rd post.
Yesterday I tried all this in the 2.03alpha27. Same effect.
Note: I'm in learning mode. Using IR I edited the old thing to what I wanted, but considering that RM/RMIR are now standard, I thought I should take RM side more seriously than ever before especially that KM won't run on my Win7 box where I probably should migrate JP1 work from XP.

Crying is an understatement Sad
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM doesn't like that file either. Are you sure you don't have another one somewhere else?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine here in KM v9.21. There is KM 9.22 but I don't have it - some changes were not relevant to me.
This is one of few files where version proliferation isn't confusing me! it's the only one I have.

Works fine in KM v9.22 as well. I just tried it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tried changing it from the standard NEC to the manual hacked protocol and KM didnt throw a bunch of errors?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no! Different meaning of 'KM didn't like it'. Vicky, you can't do that in KM. You might get arrested by Rob or Mark or Mike Smile
The legal way, as I've learned here, is to import the device into IR, import the substitute protocol into IR and tell it >FF and maybe, I don't recall, on devices to 15A. Can't seem to do that in RM. Trying it in RMIR was wrong, I've since realized.
I just expected it to work the same in RM. Or come up with a SIMPLE way. Maybe I'm really loosing it Sad
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
Sorry I missed your reply-- I really wasn't ignoring you. We have two primary ways of handling special executors in RMIR.
1) Add a entry into protocols.ini which is matched to the special executor. Here's one that will work with Rob's custom executor
Code:
[NEC Liz Special]
PID=01 5A
CmdTranslator=Translator(lsb,comp)
CmdParms=OBC=0
DevParms=Device:8=0,bit5Rpts=10
DeviceTranslator=Translator(comp,lsb,0,8,8) Translator(comp,lsb,0,8,16) Translator(1,8,0)
FixedData=0A FF FF
Notes=Set bit5Rpts to the value of repeats wanted for any OBC in which bit 5 is set. You can do this by adding 32 to the actual OBC.  The executor will clear bit 5 before sending the command.
Code.S3C80=43 8B 31 8B 12 E5 4D 08 08 01 18 01 06 01 18 03 39 D2 DC 11 94 08 B6 20 01 18 06 37 15 06 E4 03 0D 46 06 04 8D 01 46
The disadvantage of a special protocols.ini entry is that the special entry must be present in protocols.ini whenever the RMDU file is read into RM or RMIR. We use the special entry approach frequently for Slingbox files in which a standard executor is modified to send no repeats, and Al Richey maintains a separate file of the various special entries which can then be added when a new version of protocols.ini is released.

2) Or, add the special executor as part of Manual Settings. (It is often said, correctly, that NEC is by far the most commonly used IR protocol. But the most frequently seen protocol in our upgrades File Section is Manual Settings!) The disadvantage of Manual Settings is that it treats all values as msb. NEC is lsb, comp, so OBC and Device numbers are bit reversed and complemented from usual.

In either approach, the way to convert from the KM file is to open it in RM, and open also a session of RMIR. Download from your remote to get a good starting image of the E2 area. Then to use approach 1), edit protocols.ini to include the above entry, in RM highlight the column of Function names, copy by right click or Ctrl-C, and paste it into the a New Device Upgrade Editor in RMIR. Do the same for the OBC values. Finally, assign the functions to buttons, save the RMDU file, and upload.

For 2), in RMIR in the Protocols tab click New. Copy the protocol upgrade from the KM file (it starts on line 13), and Import into RMIR. Then Open the Devices tab, New, and select Manual Settings PID 015A as the Protocol--it will be at the bottom of the list. Make the Fixed Data look the same as in the RM session-- the devices should be 10, 161, 161. Copy the names as in 1), but don't copy the OBCs. Copy the Hex column instead.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Oh, no! Different meaning of 'KM didn't like it'. Vicky, you can't do that in KM. You might get arrested by Rob or Mark or Mike Smile
The legal way, as I've learned here, is to import the device into IR, import the substitute protocol into IR and tell it >FF and maybe, I don't recall, on devices to 15A. Can't seem to do that in RM. Trying it in RMIR was wrong, I've since realized.
I just expected it to work the same in RM. Or come up with a SIMPLE way. Maybe I'm really loosing it Sad

I've been writing protocols that use Manual Settings in KM for 8 years, and this is the first time I've seen it done that way. That must have been the way to do it before KM evolved.

Quote:
The disadvantage of Manual Settings is that it treats all values as msb. NEC is lsb, comp, so OBC and Device numbers are bit reversed and complemented from usual.

Actually I haven't seen this behavior either. RM picks up whatever settings I have in my KM settings, so if I told KM my Manual Settings was LSB, RM picks it up that way. I haven't tested this recently, but Graham worked long and hard to make it so.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your KM reworked to open both in KM and RM.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13047

It does seem strange to use 32 as your flag, as this would severely limit the number of OBC's that you could use in the device without triggering repeats.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky and Liz,
You're right, using Manual Settings in RMIR does allow us to select both/either lsb and comp for any of the device or command bytes.

So one way to incorporate Liz's KM file is to open it in RM, copy the protocol upgrade from the Output tab, open a session of RMIR, download to get a good E2 image, go to Protocols, New, and import the protocol upgrade into the Manual Settings form. Move from the Protocol Data tab to the Device Data tab, select lsb comp for Device 2,3 and the command. Now you can open the Device Upgrade Editor, select Manual Settigns as the Protocol, enter 10 or whatever repeat value in Device 1, 122 for device 2 and 3. Copy in the names and OBC columns.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, thank you. I will download and try. I didn't really want you to fix for me, since I have to learn how to those exotic things.

3FG, wow! Thank you too. I have to carefully read both of your posts, and I will be back in a few days, so stay tuned Smile

Edit: what's E2? I forgot what it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: