JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8820-MOTO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
I'm working with Bruce on the RDF. I suppose the pinout is OK, because he could do a Raw Download in RMIR.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have posted the rmaster.err file here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13134
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a revised RDF for the URC-8820BC1.3 installed, RMIR appears to communicate without errors, and after download, the General tab in RMIR looks right. I haven't exercised much else yet. But on we go... Thanks everyone. The new RDF is here:

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13135
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using some upgrade files with this remote is the current problem. With four other un-extended remotes I have, all with Samsung S3F8 processors, my standard device files install correctly. But with this URC-8820 and with the ORAUSB-4000, both with Maxim processors, they fail to install due to protocol errors (The selected protocol is not compatible with the selected remote. This protocol will NOT function properly. Choose a different protocol). The protocols are JVC-combo 0144 S3C80 and Apple manual settings 01FF.

Are some of the protocols not compatible with the Maxim processors, or have I just skipped some necessary step?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, no protocols from device upgrades have ever worked on any 8820.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That message simply means that protocols.ini doesn't have an MAXQ executor entry for that PID and name. The message is pretty much guaranteed when trying to upload upgrade which uses ManualSettings, because nearly all of those employ a custom executor which was written in S3C80 or S3F80 assembler. It isn't a non-suitability of the MAXQ processors; you'd get the same message if trying to upgrade a JP1.2 HCS08 processor. The good news is that one seldom needs these custom executors. Are you looking for some special feature for the Apple IR protocol?

AFAIK, and I looked at JP1Master to check, pid 0144 has only been used with the Device Combiner "protocol", which was written to handle situations where e.g. a person had a component which needed two device numbers. In the early days, UEI hadn't started shipping remotes with Combo executors, so the community resorted to the Device Combiner. It is highly unlikely that a Device Combiner will ever be made for MAXQ remotes, and just about as unlikely that you'd actually need one. For JVC signals just use the JVC Combo executor.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am not looking for any special feature for the Apple IR upgrade. Just a working upgrade to operate my Home Theater Mac Mini on the MAXQ remotes. It only uses six buttons.

As for my JVC RX-8000 Receiver upgrade, I have found a workaround by using an upgrade for JVC RX-8010VBK Receiver. I'm not sure why one works and the other doesn't, except that it somehow involves the JVC combo protocol.

I have been using and programming JP1 remotes for nearly 10 years, but I admit to just using the upgrades and extensions without fully understanding them. I don't really understand upgrades vs. protocols, and executors, and certainly don't know how to change the executor.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems solved. I used the (Official) Apple Remote upgrade put together by sti491 and mdavej and it works perfectly to control my Home Theater Mac Mini. So... now I have the whole system up and working with this remote. It has very nice backlighting, 4 color activity keys, and feels good in the hand. Thanks to everyone, especially to 3FG for working out the RDF. The Apple Upgrade is here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13128
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Home Theater, Dish, and HTPC, the URC-8820 works well and I have a workable setup as-is.

But occasionally, I use a DVD player, though not very often. It would be nice if I could include that, in addition to the 4 devices built-in to the 8820. In my RMIR setup, I can put either the Apple Upgrade or the Sony DVD on the DVD device, and it works fine either way. Is it practical to add a Setup Multiplexer to occasionally switch in the DVD setup code? It looks like the same approach would be needed to use the OARUSB04 remote.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-8820 MOTO is a JP2 remote with a segmented structure in the E2 area. (JP1.4 remotes also use the same segmented structure.) When RMIR is uploading to a segmented remote, it edits or adds segments according the user's programming. If RMIR doesn't recognize a segment type, it simply uploads the segment as it was downloaded from the remote. The Setup Multiplexer is segment Type 17 (hexadecimal notation) and RMIR does not recognize it. However, Graham has provided functionality to change unrecognized segments manually, and that's what you need to do.
First, verify that you can use the Multiplexer, and that it give expected results. Probably the Multiplexer is invoked by pressing AUX, floowed by simultaneously pressing Setup and one of the Color buttons. If I have understood the 8820BC3 segment correctly, in AUX mode, it should switch the setup code assigned to AUX to setup code 1877 (Yellow) or 1376 (Blue), which you can verify either by capturing the resulting signals or by setup code blink back.

Next, enable the RMIR functionality by Options\Advanced\Show Segment Editor. That should add the tab "Segments" just to the left of "Raw Data". Locate the Type 17 segment and double click in the Data field. This should allow you to edit this field. I think the 8820BC3 will show
Code:
FF 04 00 04 17 18 19 1A 01 07 55 01 05 60 01 0F FF 01 0F FF FF
in the Data field. The first 04 is the AUX button number, which you can get from the RDF. 00 04 is the number of activating buttons, and 17 18 19 1A are the button numbers of the activating buttons (see RDF). 01 07 55 means Cable device Type (01), Setup Code 1877 (0755 hexadecimal is 1877 decimal).

You would edit 01 07 55 to instead be the device type of one of the desired upgrades (probably DVD--Device Type 2) followed by the hexadecimal equivalent of the setup code. Do the same for the second upgrade, and then click Apply. Check you work, and upload.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry 3FG, but I run off the rails right away following the instructions. The 8820 does not have a [Setup] button. It uses (mute)+(select) simultaneously. For example, to do the device blink-back I do (mute)+(select) two blinks 990. That produces the expected device codes.

But (mute)+(select)+[Yellow] produces no response.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's OK, because I'm pretty sure your remote responds to the 985 command which allows you to configure the Setup Multiplexer. See the Wiki. So the above stuff on how to use RMIR probably isn't the only way to set it up.

Now, to invoke the multiplexer, perhaps the 8820BC3 uses a 9XX command. That would of course make the exercise no better than just manually changing the setup code, which after all is just 5 button presses.

If you want to experiment with 9XX commands, 978, 984, and 989 are reasonable ones to start with.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further update on invoking the multiplexer:

It turns out that the 8820 has a [SWAP] button on the face. Pressing it and the [A] or [B] key swaps the two cable set top box device codes they put in the multiplexer for type 1 (cable). The [SWAP] button does not appear to work on any device other than cable. But I put my DVD device code in the multiplexer first position and my Dish device code in the second mux position and I can switch between them with the [SWAP] button. A little clunky, but it works. (Probably not wife-approved unless I can get it into a macro.)
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej, I found this old post of yours:
mdavej wrote:
To get your 5th device for now, temporarily assign the 5th code to one of your devices, and follow THESE instructions for assigning and advanced code (two device modes). When you're done, change the temporary device back to what it originally was, and your new keymoves will continue to work with the new device code.

Do you think that would be a useful approach for all the 4-device cable remotes to allow access to some functions of a 5th device. For example, could we gain access to Audio Volume +/- keys with the Audio in the Device upgrades but without the Audio being actually assigned to one of the 4 device keys? Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that should work fine.

EDIT: I take that back. The 8820 can't do keymoves. So no dice. I know you don't want to hear this again, but the 8820 is barely functional, no macros, no keymoves. It's not worth the trouble. If you want nice backlit remote, check out the Inteset INT-422 or OARUSB04G. I like the looks of the 8820 too, and had high hopes for it. But beyond the looks, it's just a terrible remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: