JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR Simpleset Support
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: RMIR Simpleset Support Reply with quote

I have posted a full installation package for RMIR v2.03 Alpha 24. This is a pre-release version of RMIR v2.03 to give it wider testing. It is the first version to support the latest remotes that have UEI support via the simpleset.com website. The RDF, map and image files needed to support these, XSight, and all other remotes with interfaces from JP1.4 onwards have been posted separately here.

For Simpleset remotes, a settings.bin file can be downloaded directly from the remote with the usual Download button, or it can be loaded from the PC with the File/Open menu. Similarly Upload will upload a setup to the remote or it can be saved either as a settings.bin file or as a .rmir file with File/SaveAs.

So far. of the available Simpleset remotes, the only ones for which RDFs are available are the 4-device ones, the European URC-6440 and the North American OARUSB04G. Alpha 24 should, however, be able to support all other Simpleset remotes. Any user who has one of the others and who would be willing to help us develop an RDF for it should post a message here.

UEI supports Simpleset remotes only on the Windows and Mac OS X platforms. Alpha 24 also supports them on both platforms. There appears to be an incompatibility between the remotes and Linux that prevent full Linux support of these remotes. This is an issue with UEI, not with RMIR. Alpha 24 includes partial Linux support, including downloading, but uploading is blocked as it invariably fails.

For more information on XSight support, see this post announcing Alpha 23 and earlier ones in that thread.

Edit Aug 5, 2014: Alpha 24 now updated to Alpha 24a, which is a minor revision of Alpha 24. Files for the URC-6430 have also been added to the package of RDF, map and image files. The links remain as above.

Last edited by mathdon on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: RMIR Simpleset Support Reply with quote

Fantastic, many thanks!
Everything tried so far has worked.
- There seems to be two phantom buttons available for each of the four devices
- and v.pleased to see Shift seems to be possible, but on e.g. 6440, what needs to be done to set the remote to the shifted mode, please?
- Have not checked yet but think there was a limit of 8 on the number of macros, is that still the case?
Re.
Quote:
...For Simpleset remotes, a settings.bin file can be downloaded directly from the remote with the usual Download button, or it can be loaded from the PC with the File/Open menu...
- ok, but re.
Quote:
...Similarly Upload will upload a setup to the remote or it can be saved either as a settings.bin file or as a .rmir file with File/SaveAs.
- for OFA 6440 with Windows7 I found that, with 'save as': the option to save as '.bin' did not appear unless the image had first been uploaded to the 6440, is this to be expected?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
There seems to be two phantom buttons available for each of the four devices

They are not actually phantom buttons, they are Rewind and Fast Forward, but as those sent by long presses of the SkipBack and SkipFwd buttons, they have to be shown as phantoms on the Layout tab.

Quote:
what needs to be done to set the remote to the shifted mode, please?

We don't know Embarassed . We don't even know if it is possible. But I am told they do seem to work in macros, so the remote does recognise them.

Quote:
Have not checked yet but think there was a limit of 8 on the number of macros, is that still the case?

Sorry, don't know. If you find out by experimenting, do let us know. Where did you see about the limit of 8? It is news to me.

Quote:
for OFA 6440 with Windows7 I found that, with 'save as': the option to save as '.bin' did not appear unless the image had first been uploaded to the 6440, is this to be expected?

You can't load a .rmir file and save it as a .bin file, as there is more information in a .bin file than a .rmir one. When uploading a .rmir file to the remote, RMIR first reads the remote, then merges in the .rmir data and uploads the result. RMIR then holds enough info to save as a .bin file. Perhaps this is what you have discovered. However, whenever a .bin file has been loaded, from disk or the remote, then it can be saved as a different .bin file and that option should be present in SaveAs.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This is what I found earlier, before RMIR had been made available:-
"- When using 995 to set them up, URC6440 macros can go on most of the buttons except AV, Text, or device buttons, but OARUSB4G macros can only go onto non-numeric buttons. With that method up to eight macros are feasible with either version.
- Only OARUSB04G's macros can be set up by using its unusual List/macro button method, but then they can only go on the numeric buttons and are limited to six in number, and the 995 method cannot be used concurrently. To send a macro which has been set up by this method it requires the List/macro button first to be held for >3 seconds, before pressing the button chosen to send the macro...."

Now, using RMIR, 9 macros work so far (7 in Tv device and 2 in Foxsat device)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12669

(edit 15.8.2014) 3 DIM macros, including two on activity buttons, and 14 DSMs

Last edited by tranx on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: 6440 shifted mode? Reply with quote

re. Shifted mode and
Q: "what needs to be done to set the remote to the shifted mode, please?"
A: "...We don't even know if it is possible. But I am told they do seem to work in macros, so the remote does recognise them."

In order to use a shifted button in a macro I have tried allocating a function to it, but when using 'shift' ticked in the devices/layout page of the RMIR alpha:-

- selecting a remote button and double clicking a function does not seem to work

- instead, dragging a function to a button seems to do something, but the effect is just to allocate that function to the un-shifted button (as if 'shift' had not been selected).

Perhaps that page is still under construction but is there yet any other way to do it please?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranx, thanks for pointing this out. It all seems to work OK in Devices/Buttons, but I get the same behaviour as you in Devices/Layout. So the other way to do it is to use Devices/Buttons, but it definitely is a bug in Devices/Layout. I suspect it to be a long-standing bug that has gone un-noticed, as the page certainly is not "still under construction". I will look into it and try to sort it out.

Edit: Now fixed. I have updated the installation package to Alpha 24a.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.

Haven't tried Alpha 24a yet but with Alpha 24 found that if a function was taught to a button, even when the function had been added separately to the list separately using OBC, as usual, it could not effectively allocate a different function to the same button (It looks as if the different function has been allocated but it doesn't 'stick' by getting transferred to the settings.bin or image, or the remote), until the original learn had been deleted from the learned list.

Suppose this may be an idiosyncracy of 6440, the learned signal taking precedence over whatever was there before in the upgrade, or might be to do with the merging you mentioned...
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into this, but it is certainly true that you cannot overwrite a learn by assigning a new function to the button. That is the way all remotes behave, a learn is looked for before any underlying function on the same button. You should, however, be able to change the underlying function even though it will have no physical effect until the learn has been deleted (or moved to a different button, as is possible in the Learned Signals tab). It seems, though, from what you have written that an edit of the underlying function may not work and if this is so, I will try to fix it.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Mathdon,

re. '....it will have no physical effect until the learn has been deleted...'
- thanks for explaining that

re. '...(or moved to a different button, as is possible in the Learned Signals tab)..'
- thanks for the tip

re. '...an edit of the underlying function may not work...'
- yes I think that's what I found: in the devices/layout or devices/buttons pages the learned function could not successfully be changed by editing so that the alternative function would stick, until the learn itself had been deleted.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
re. '...an edit of the underlying function may not work...'
- yes I think that's what I found: in the devices/layout or devices/buttons pages the learned function could not successfully be changed by editing so that the alternative function would stick, until the learn itself had been deleted.

When I tested this, I thought I saw this behaviour until I realised it was something else. Suppose I create a new function, say Test1, and assign it to the Mute button. I then save the result both as a .rmir file and as a .bin file.

If I now open the .bin file, I see that the Mute function is still assigned to the Mute button, so it looks as if the assignment has not worked. However, the Mute function now has the hex code that I assigned to Test1, so the Mute button will indeed send the Test1 hex. Why does it behave this way? Because there are no function names in the remote, or in the .bin file. When you download from the remote or load a .bin file, it creates the function list using the button names as function names.

If, however, I open the .rmir file, I see the Test1 function is assigned to the Mute button and the Mute function has its original code. This is because function names and codes are stored in a .rmir file separately from their button assignments.

This behaviour is independent of whether or not there is a learned signal on the button concerned. I could see no difference in behaviour with or without a learned signal, so I think you may have been misinterpreting what you experienced.

Testing did, however, show up one bug in Learned Signals. I said you can use the Learned Signals tab to change the button to which a learned signal is assigned. This works if you edit the device button and key columns in that tab, but there is a bug if you press Edit and use the dialog to make the change. The learned signal will be deleted. I've fixed this but as editing the main table works OK, I won't post a new version till there is something else to correct or add.
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I must indeed have misinterpreted, but see what is happening now, thanks.

Even if the remote cannot be put into Shift Mode, the shortage of buttons renders the shifted keys a useful place to put odd functions if they can indeed be used in macros. Which I can try some more now.

It was through Starting with a working 6440 that the business about learned keys and lack of function titles in the .bin files, and in the remote itself, came out while downloading and uploading between remote and RMIR, as you have kindly explained.

Instead, as is more usual, think I see that adding upgrades to RMIR and only uploading the config to the 6440 should be no problem, except that in my case two devices which share the same controls (pana EX-85 dvd recorder and BTT-370 BluRay player/home theatre) are fitted into the 'EXTRA' device slot:- so half of those commands will have to be learned, added to the list of functions in the combined device, and the learns deleted from the list of learned commands, which I can probably do ok now. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tranx on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
in my case two devices which share the same controls (pana EX-85 dvd recorder and BTT-370 BluRay player/home theatre) are fitted into the 'EXTRA' device slot:- so half of those commands will have to be learned, added to the list of functions in the combined device, and the learns deleted from the list of learned commands

If you know setup codes for both devices, you can enter one of them in the Extra slot, create an upgrade with the "Create Missing Upgrades" button, then change the Extra slot to the other device and again "Create Missing Upgrades". You will then have two upgrades containing between them all the signals you need, and can read off from one of them what you need to copy into the other to make your combined device. In that way you don't have to go through the hassle of learning them. You can leave both upgrades in the remote - they will remain in the .bin file even if no device is set to them - so you can look up other codes later if you need them. But you are right, that to ensure all your function data is preserved, you need to save as a .rmir file in the traditional way.
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
tranx wrote:
in my case two devices which share the same controls (pana EX-85 dvd recorder and BTT-370 BluRay player/home theatre) are fitted into the 'EXTRA' device slot:- so half of those commands will have to be learned, added to the list of functions in the combined device, and the learns deleted from the list of learned commands

If you know setup codes for both devices, you can enter one of them in the Extra slot, create an upgrade with the "Create Missing Upgrades" button, then change the Extra slot to the other device and again "Create Missing Upgrades". You will then have two upgrades containing between them all the signals you need, and can read off from one of them what you need to copy into the other to make your combined device. In that way you don't have to go through the hassle of learning them. You can leave both upgrades in the remote - they will remain in the .bin file even if no device is set to them - so you can look up other codes later if you need them. But you are right, that to ensure all your function data is preserved, you need to save as a .rmir file in the traditional way.

Another great Tip!

So...I downloaded the working .bin file, deleted all the learns, selected the four devices, one by one, in the devices tab and each time loaded the appropriate upgrades (previously redefined for 6440 using the alpha RMIR) which had been made earlier for other JP1 remotes. These upgrades included the correctly titled functions, so that was all cleared up.

Now I can look at how to combine a fifth upgrade in Extra it will just be a pleasure to be able to get on with editing the various pages and trying things out as usual.

I must say that already it seems JP1 has added a new dimension of adjustability and clarity to the process of setting up OFA6440, which was a good effort just using 955 and simpleset, but is now excellent.

Many thanks again to everyone who has taken all the trouble to make the impossible possible Laughing
jasmart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I managed to get my URC 7130 R00 working for an upload on the previous 2.02 beta. It was a bit temperamental though. I needed to first define a new remote image before it would start communicating or accepting the previously saved one.

I am now using the latest 2.03 24a and it does not seem to work at all. It errors and requests a raw download. I've done that, could someone please tell me the best way of uploading it here. I can't see an attach option.

My older URC 7556 R00 works fine on it.

Thanks

Jason
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasmart wrote:
It errors and requests a raw download. I've done that, could someone please tell me the best way of uploading it here. I can't see an attach option.

Go to the Diagnosis Area of the File Section and select Upload. Then post a link to the upload in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: