JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stuck before I can get started
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregD

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Stuck before I can get started Reply with quote

Hey guys

I just purchased a JP1.3 USB cable on eBay. I downloaded RM-IR v2.02a, I'm using a Vizio VUR8 6100 JP1.3 remote and running Windows Vista.

When I try to upload or download data to the remote I get the message: No remotes found! The pin connections aren't labeled on the cable but I've tried it both ways. The remote's batteries are strong.

I also can't seem to save an upgrade, either as a rmdu or txt file. I go to save the file but it doesn't show up when I go to reload it. This is true whether I create my own or try to save an upgrade I downloaded from this site.

Any suggestions of what I should do? Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a link or picture of your cable? Did you try Auto on the interface type?
GregD

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interface is set for auto detect

Purchased from Zillashop on eBay
[url]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTc0WDU5Ng==/$(KGrHqR,!lwE9KBdbvOZBPTFQSBDHw~~60_12.JPG[/url]

Having an issue with posting photos/links, too, it seems.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I did have this problem with a remote awhile back and discovered that the RDF file for my remote wasn't in the designated directory. Did you check that?

Ed
GregD

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked that Ed and it's in its proper place.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start RMIR, and try both saving a file and downloading from a remote. Then find the rmaster.err file and upload it to the Diagnosis Area. Post a link to the file here.
GregD

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no rmaster.err file in the folder so I reinstalled the program. The err file is now there and I now can save RM device upgrade files. I still have the problem of the remote not being recognized.

Here is the err file: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12500

When I uploaded the 2 device upgrades, the remote blinked twice as expected, just as the "no remotes found!" message popped up. But the upgrades were not loaded.

Any suggesting on what to try next?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As RMIR starts, it writes information into rmaster.err. It continues to write more information as you run the program. By the point where RMIR has tried to download from a remote, the file size is perhaps 10-20 Kbytes and includes version information, the details of whether and where it found the necessary dlls, etc.

The file you posted is only 349 bytes. I'm not sure how that happened, but please try again.
GregD

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I thought I'd start from scratch. I removed the RM program from the PC, rebooted, cleaned up the registry and then reinstalled. Again, the cable isn't labeled so I'm not sure which is the proper way to attach it by sight. Tried again to upload an upgrade to the VUR8 remote and got the same "no remotes found" message. With the cable attached one way I get no flashing light; attached the other way I get two flashes at the same time that the "no remotes found" message pops up.

The rmaster.err file is identical to what I posted earlier, totaling just 349 bytes.

I then tried using a URC-1060 remote. I inserted the cable one way and got the "no remote found" message and no blinking light on the remote. Reversing the way the cable connects to the remote I get the same message, but the CBL light on the remote flashes twice. However, this is a DVD upgrade, so I would expect the DVD light to flash.

Thinking maybe the "no remote found" error message was an error itself, I tried both remotes but neither upgrade actually works.

I still can't tell if I'm having a software issues or if the JP1.3 cable is the problem. The RM program runs very slow and I have to do the File/New/Device Upgrade several times and then wait some time before multiple upgrade pages open.

Is there another way of verifying if the JP1.3 cable is the real issue?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we establish connection with a remote, it is placed into programming mode. When the upload or download is finished, the remote is placed back into operation mode by setting the RTS line. This causes a soft reset of the remote. A UEI remote will flash twice when it comes out of soft reset, so the orientation that causes flashes is almost certainly the correct one. Also, when a upgrade is uploaded into the remote, the entire memory associated with upgrades, keymoves, macros, etc is uploaded, and the remote has no idea which device mode the new upload is intended for. So the remotes always flash the LED associated with the device mode which is internally labeled as the zero device. For most remotes, that's the cable button.

Given that the rmaster.err file is much shorter than expected, I guess the problem here is software. In my opinion, a user is much better off using the Java version of RMIR, and not the Windows standalone version. During development, all of the testing is done with the Java version.

The Excelsior Jet version contains a local copy of the Java runtime system that was current when the Excelsior software was purchased. I believe that contention between Java versions is a real possibility, and I think there can also be problems with silent denial of access to directories. However, it may be worthwhile to try running the Excelsior Jet version by right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"
GregD

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the program as you suggested 3FG. I still get the same light double blink and concurrent "no remotes found" message. But the err file is much larger this time around. What can you make of what it says?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12500
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it says that you're starting RMIR, and then clicking File\Open. That has the effect of opening an upgrade file, which we want to do later.

In ordinary usage, the first step should be to download from your remote or do File\New\RemoteImage. The latter approach depends on having a well-developed RDF file, and that isn't always the case.

Please start RMIR. Check Help/About
You should see something like
Code:

RDFs loaded from C:\Remotes\RDFs
Images and Maps loaded from C:\Remotes\images
DecodeIR version 2.44
Interfaces:
JP1.X Serial version 0.19
JP1 USB version 0.031
JP1 Parallel version 0.02
System Properties:
java.version = "1.7.0_55"
java.vendor = "Oracle Corporation"
os.name = "Windows 7"
os.arch = "x86"
Libraries loaded from C:\Remotes\2.02\Windows-x86

Of course the information should match your computer OS and file structure (rather than mine). Then try to download from your remote.
Post that rmaster.err file.
GregD

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a slightly earlier version of Java and my libraries are in a different spot, but otherwise I'm on the same page. I still get the "no remotes found" message and two blinks.

Code:

RDFs loaded from C:\Program Files (x86)\www.hifiremote.com\RDFs
Images and Maps loaded from C:\Program Files (x86)\www.hifiremote.com\Maps
DecodeIR version 2.44
Interfaces:
•   JP1.X Serial version 0.19
•   JP1 USB version 0.031
•   JP1 Parallel version 0.02
System Properties:
•   java.version = "1.7.0_25"
•   java.vendor = "Oracle Corporation"
•   os.name = "Windows 7"
•   os.arch = "x86"
Libraries loaded from C:\Program Files (x86)\www.hifiremote.com\RemoteMaster\Windows-x86
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need the rmaster.err file after you try to download from the remote. Make sure that you don't try to open an upgrade first.
GregD

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12500
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: