JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't get IR to work on my "other" machine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Can't get IR to work on my "other" machine Reply with quote

This one has been bothering me for some time now, I've been using my work laptop to get around it but now I want to fix.

I can run IR on my laptop (WinXP Professional) and everything is fine. When I try to run IR on my home desktop (WinXP professional) I get this:

"Unable to initialize drivers for any JP1 interface. Drivers for at least one interface must be able to load in order for IR to communicate with your remote.

Parallell/Serial Error:
Problem with NT port driver:
StartDriver: Unable to start service
The system cannot find the path specified. Please make sure you have Admin Rights"

I have Admin rights, the port appears to be there in device manager and at 378h where it's supposed to be.

Any thoughts?
mpauker
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This message doesn't have anything to do with your port settings. It indicates that IR can't load the driver necessary to interact with the ports in your machine.

The most common cause for this message is a lack of admin rights. If your rights are set properly then it could be caused by having the driver on the wrong drive. (The IR program must physically reside on your boot drive.)

If neither of these are causing your problem then I recommend downloading a program like PortTalk (which provides direct access to your ports the same way that IR does). If this works then we'd know that the problem likes somewhere in IR. Otherwise it's something else in your setup.

-- Mark
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpauker wrote:
The most common cause for this message is a lack of admin rights. If your rights are set properly then it could be caused by having the driver on the wrong drive. (The IR program must physically reside on your boot drive.)

I hate to nag, but there is a chance you didn't see my feature request earlier. Would it be possible for IR to try loading gwiopm.sys from %systempath% if loading it from the directory IR is run from fails? I'd be more than happy to test.

Thanks,

Jason M.
mpauker
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:
I hate to nag, but there is a chance you didn't see my feature request earlier. Would it be possible for IR to try loading gwiopm.sys from %systempath% if loading it from the directory IR is run from fails?

More than a chance...

This is a pretty good idea. I'll modify it slightly, though, as there's no need to wait for failure. I have updated the source to look for gwiopm.sys in the Windows system directory. If it finds it there then it will use that one. Otherwise it will look for it in the Windows directory. If it doesn't find it in either place then it will look in IR's directory (which is what it does now). I've also added an error message if gwiopm is on a different drive than Windows.

Of course, I could simply copy the driver to the system directory automatically, but I'd rather not. For one thing, the user might not have write permission for the system directory, but the main reason is that IR is currently one of the few programs that doesn't scatter itself all over your hard drive. I've always found this really annoying about Windows, and I'd like to keep IR as simple as possible. If IR detects that the driver is in the wrong place, it will now tell the user where to copy it.

I will deploy a version with this in it as soon as I have time to track down a problem that Tommy sent me. I'm a bit busy right now, so it may be a couple of weeks.

-- Mark
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Why not make this version available as a beta so Greg can test this one feature, while you work on the USB bug with Tommy.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Mark,
Why not make this version available as a beta so Greg can test this one feature, while you work on the USB bug with Tommy.

Actually, it's me, Jason Smile
mpauker
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just released a new version with the change. Please give it a try and let me know.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpauker wrote:
I just released a new version with the change. Please give it a try and let me know.

I just tried it and it works perfectly. IR 4.02 loads from a network drive and I can download and upload when running it from there.

I forgot to mention earlier that I agree with the philosophy of not automatically copying gwiopm.sys to the windows or system directory. Oh, and not to nitpick, but IR 4.01 and earlier run fine from a Firewire/USB drive. It's only network drives from which they won't run.

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:
The Robman wrote:
Mark,

Actually, it's me, Jason Smile

You experts are all starting to look alike!
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Fixed it... Reply with quote

I was trying to run from a networked drive, Version 4.02 told me that I must have gwiopm.sys in the system directory and I now don't get the "can't connect to port" message when I start IR.

thanks. thing work fine now
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: