JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My last PC with an LPT port died, now what? (New remote?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fast351

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: My last PC with an LPT port died, now what? (New remote?) Reply with quote

So I recently upgraded my 7 year old Optoma projector to a newer model. I was hoping that the remote control codes were the same for the new projector, but alas, no.

So then I was like, no problem, learn the remote using my 8811 or my 8910, fetch the learned codes from the remote, and upgrade both remotes for the new device. Only one problem, I'm running around the house, and lo and behold, I don't own a single PC with and LPT port anymore (my ancient Dell that had one died last year).

So now I'm stuck with a decision:

1) Buy a PCIx LPT port adapter and use my existing JP1 cable
2) Build a serial version of the JP1 cable. (I am an electrical engineer and work for a company that does electronic test so this is a trivial task)
3) Buy a JP1 USB cable (seems like these have dried up)

or

4) Replace my JP1 remotes with a new style
5) Switch to a Logitech type remote

My question for you guys:

Are there any reasonably priced NEW MANUFACTURE JP1/JP1.x remotes available for a reasonable price? I would stock up if I could find something for $25 and just buy a lifetime supply of remotes. I'm afraid that one day my pair of JP1 remotes will die and I won't be able to replace them.

What about the OARN08G remotes? I see they have a JTAG port in them. Has anyone done any work with them to see if the memory is locked down? This would be an interesting experiment.

Lastly (and I know this is probably a taboo topic around here) has anyone jumped ship to a new system that is not JP1 that they've been happy with? Being able to support obscure devices will remain a priority for me. I have an HD-DVD player, a couple of NAD components, and use a home theater PC with remote codes stolen from a DVICO tuner card. As you can see these will not be preprogrammed into any universal remote control and would have to be learned.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Move to JP1.x Reply with quote

I would recommend trying something like an RCRP05B remote. Still available from some sources such as ebay (about $20). And you can build a serial interface cheaply. Look through the File Section, 'Building a serial interface' 2/10/1999 by Tommy Tyler. For the CN2x3 connector, you might strap (shrink tube) together two of the 3-contact leads from an old computer case, or even three of the 2-pin variety. Super glue also works.

For USB I would suggest you try FTDI, something based on FT232R -- their X series outputs only 3.3V on Tx and the RCRP05B doesn't like that. Note that XP and Win7 (maybe Vista, too) come with drivers pre-installed.

You need to connect Rx, Tx, Rst, Gnd, and use either the (free) IR or RMIR programs. There are RDFs and device upgrades here for most devices, plus help in configuring your custom upgrades.

The RCRP05B can handle eight devices, an extender is available, lots of help on this website. You will save on batteries.....

When you get proficient and need to decode mystery signals, you will want to build an IR widget. Works with the FT232R if you add DTR signals.

But be careful! This hobby can get to be addictive!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Thomas said, the RCA RCR05B are still plentiful, but I find the controls a little tight, even though I have small hands.

I think I'd look into stock piling some Atlas Ocap 1056B01. You can often get them on Ebay. The Atlas is UGLY, and only controls 5 devices, but the form factor makes it easy to use. The buttons are bigger and farther apart, and that stupid bulge in the center, really does help you identify the keys by touch. Also the ugly atlas makes great use of color. That remote uses color for grouping the keys. Some groups are gray, some groups are Blue, some groups are black. It makes it easier to use without pulling out the reading glasses.

HTH
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep using your old remotes, there are other options as well. Just get a cheap JP1.3 cable like the $8 FTDI ones on ebay plus a JP1 EEPROM adapter from DIYGadget. Then you can use one cable to program any JP1 remote via USB.
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: My last PC with an LPT port died, now what? (New remote Reply with quote

Fast351 wrote:
4) Replace my JP1 remotes with a new style
5) Switch to a Logitech type remote

For a completely "left field" alternative (my electronic dictionary defines this as: North American, informal: "A surprising or unconventional position or style"), how about one of the One-For-All Xsight remotes?

The advantage of the Xsights is that they use a completely bog-standard USB cable (not a JP1 cable). The Xsight Lite has a micro USB socket, and the Xsight Colour has a mini USB socket. You can program them using the latest (experimental) version of RMIR (I have programmed both my Lite and my Colour using this software).

I believe that in the USA, the Xsights are sold under the Acoustic Research brand.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
That remote uses color for grouping the keys. Some groups are gray, some groups are Blue, some groups are black. It makes it easier to use without pulling out the reading glasses.

Amen to that! This is the one thing that I dislike about the Xsight Lite -- all of the buttons are the same colour, and I far too often press a numeric button when I intend to press a transport button (or vice versa).

In the realm of remote controls, the challenge is not to find the best; the challenge is to find the least worst!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Fast351

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up building a serial to JP1 converter that I'll use for now. I am going to pick up some "spares" for just in case though, because I really like the flexibility of the JP1 system. I think I'll end up getting the RCA remotes, buy a couple, and order an FTDI-TTL USB converter to use for programming...
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCM has a pretty good selection of not-too-expensive remotes:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/RCA-RCRP05B-/RCRP05B for $13

Keep us posted on your progress (Happy New Year).
Tom
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon has the RCA RCRP05BR at $9.89:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028IKXLS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
elorimer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at your motherboard. You might have an LPT1 header, just not being used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: