JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new Beta version for all JP1.3 extenders
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: new Beta version for all JP1.3 extenders Reply with quote

I've been working on this for a long time but have not released it. In fact, as I was looking at the code today I found that the last time I made a change was a year ago. I've been using the Insignia version in my house for at least that long.

A post elsewhere got me to thinking about a change that would light the LED when a shift button was pressed and then turn it off when a regular key is pressed. (to show a pending shift) Anyway, this was the perfect way to release this into the entire JP1.3 family since this version of the extender uses a common code base. Insert the logic to turn on the LED, rebuild all of the extenders and poof, I'm done. Right now I have it turn the LED on and off when the next key is pressed. I can certainly change that to a blink like the unextended remote.

This is going to be V3.00 of the extenders for all of the JP1.3 remotes that I support. This ports everything over to the 8900-style HT setup that I used on the Insignia 3147 remote while many of the the original JP1.3 ( Atlas and others) had the Kameleon style that I had used from my first JP1 extender project.

It's in the extenders section here:

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12076

Supports:

Radio Shack 15-100, 15-133, 15-134, 15-135
RCA RCRP05B
Insignia (both backlit and non-lit)
Atlas 3000 and 3033 (both variants)

have fun, let me know if you find anything weird. (and let me know how you like the pending shift LED change, I'm not sure about it right now)

PS. This has been tested only on the Insignia JP1.3 remote to see if the LED thing works.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for the record....

The date that I finished the port and got all of the extenders to build was 1/12/12, nearly two years ago.

Guess I should have been a bit more on the ball to get this out!
tnkrer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: didnt work for RCA Reply with quote

Hi UncleMiltie,
Thanks for incorporating shift LED indicator. And I like the way you implemented it better than two separate blinks.

However when I used RMIR to install extender on my existing rmir file, it failed. (I had copied the new RDF in my RDF directory location, so RMIR should have found it). The error was
No remote found with signature 3X79 and EEPROM size 5K

eta: Current signature that shows up in RMIR is 3A793A79

ETA2: RMIR was running when I copied the RDF file in the rdf directory, so rmir does not read the directory again. Stopped RMIR and restarted and now it installs the extender. However, as we know already, it reset all the device codes to 0000. The devices are in there. So I think all I need to do is update the device codes on the general page back to where they were. and I should be good to go
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new signature for this version is 3X793X79

so you need to make sure that it's seeing the RDF.

Also at $7FE in the raw data you should see $03 $00 as the version number
tnkrer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UncleMiltie.

So I installed the extender and tested it. The shift showing LED works great. Especially on this remote where the shift key is sorta wobbly.

However, on my old remote, if nothing comes after shift key for 6 seconds, the shift was cancelled. Does this extender have similar behavior? or is there a cancel key for shift? (shift-shift after shift cancels first shift?) I couldnt make the led go away until I pressed some button which sent a shift key signal and in some cases I may not want that.

Also my LKP stopped working .. so something is not right.

I will keep testing, however without LKP, I cannot use this extender .. so will go back after a while to old rmir file until a new version becomes available to test.

Tested pause and that is not working either. Those are the only two special protocols I am using. So cannot test other special protocols. Will try to recreate the protocol to see if that changes something
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm

yes, there is no way to cancel the shift. (or to turn off the LED) I'll have to go back and see if the shift actually gets cancelled after the timeout. It might, which would be weird. maybe a good reason to go back to a blink on shift and not an "on"

no idea why the other stuff would fail. the code changes are only in the path once I've figured out that the shift key was pressed. I'll have to go take a look at it but I'm about to leave on a business trip. Maybe I'm taking a remote with me?
tnkrer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks. Dont start with that jp1 s**t on the plane. Someone might think you are trying to make an IED with the remote Smile

So recreating the protocol did not change anything. Also I was using the extender version 1.5 that was specifically for this remote. (I don't know how much codebase it shares with this common extender.)

I do like the fact that LED stays lit. I can think of a key that has no shifted meaning and use that to cancel my shift. So its not a big deal.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using LKP's and pause on my Insignia that shares the same code base for almost a year now. No issues.

I'll have to inject this new version into a "real" remote when I get back and see how it performs. for the time being, there is no danger in going back

But I would deactivate the extender, do a full 981 reset on the remote and then upload your old extended remote file and re-activate
tnkrer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks .. I already went back to my old rmir after deactivating the new extender. I did not do 981 reset. So far no glitches.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you're using a Shift/Set as one of the keys in the macros on the pause and/or LKP?

Woudl you be willing to give the "non LED" version of the extender a try and see if you are having the same results on the RCA? I can't figure this one out (at 35,000 feet, somewhere above Nevada I think)
tnkrer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not using shift in pause ..
pause is TV phantom5

in the LKP I am using shifted keys, but not shift key itself.

I can certainly try non LED version to see if LKP/Pause works there. Let me know where I can find that extender.

When I switch between these extenders, the recommended procedure is
1. deactivate the extender
2. do 981 reset
3. upload the new rmir file to the remote ..

Right?

Also, another interesting point. On my version 1.05 extender, I have 1237 free for move/macro. For the same upgrades, I have only 529 free for V3.00. Upgrade free remains the same. Its still lot more than what I would need, so it doesn't matter.

I also compared the hex files for 1.05 extender and 3.00 extender. They are very different, so I can't really make any guess from that
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there are issues with how the "install extender" feature works. Since I use a lot of memory in the remote that is unused for other stuff for "helper" routines in the extender (other than the standard areas) I'm wondering if those got loaded with the new extender.

I do know back a long time ago I could not "reliably" upgrade an extender in an IR file with extinstall so that may be the issue (for example, one of the helper routines that I use is a computed delay that is used in both LKP and Pause)

I'm still traveling but could you possibly re-create your configuration from a bare RMIR file and see if that still works.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing...

when you're using RMIR to "upgrade" an extender and you have had macros on the device buttons in your setup you will end up with duplicate macros on the device buttons since I ship the default macros with the extender. if that's where you had your LKP's that may be the issue unless you've deleted the duplicates.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UncleMiltie

That worked! Thanks. I also got back all the free move/macro space.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying that the remote functions as expected with the "shift" LED indicator?

Anyone else give this one a whirl?

Also, this extender supports the Atlas (3000, 3033), Comcast (3039), 15-13x (3085), 15-100 (3060), Insignia/Nexus (3147) and RCA (3179) remotes. Are there other JP1.3 remotes out there that could use an extender? I'm sure it wouldn't be all that hard now to add another one to the stable with this version. Those are the only remotes that I have so the only ones that I can test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: