JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic DMR-BWT720 Discrete On problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Panasonic DMR-BWT720 Discrete On problem Reply with quote

I recently replaced an older Panasonic DVD recorder/PVR for a DMR-BWT720.

All the codes that worked with the old recorder work for the DMR-BWT720, most use the Setup Code 0490.

However, the Discrete On code, Hex Command 83, that worked fine with the older DVD recorder will turn the DMR-BWT720 on, but when it powers up it will not respond to any remote control command except power off! The Discrete Off command I'm using is Hex 03 and appears to work fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be an alternative Discrete On command to try?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, we very seldom see talk of Hex commands, because hex is pretty meaningless. Hex and EFCs are dependent on the executor. We usually talk Devices. subdevices and OBCs.

The only OBC's that I have seen for the Panasonic command are

Device 176.0
Obc - function
061 - Power
062 - Power On
063 - Power Off

If you using the standard Panasonic executor, 00c9 that is used for Video/0490, your hex is would be correct. That hex does work with some other Pansonic executors. It would be best to let the tools convert from OBCs.

I have no idea why it will not respond.

Hope that helps.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
RichardP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I set up the remote I have quite some time ago, most of it was done in 2004, and have pretty much forgotten all that I learnt from this forum when I did it!!

The remote is a URC-8060 and I'm using the IR.EXE program from Jan 2005, V6.0. I'm using the extender for the URC-8060 and various other Protocols like ToadTOG to make the remote very easy to use.

As everything else works just as I set it up back in 2004, I made minimal changes to accommodate pretty much a complete system upgrade!

- My Denon AV amp has been upgraded from an AVR-3803 to a Denon AVR-X4000 which (for what I need) uses the same commands.

- My Sharp Aquos LC37-HV4 has been upgraded to a Samsung UE55D8000, this was the biggest change, but simply changing the device code in IR.EXE from 0093 to 0616 and editing a few key moves enables it to do all I want.

- Sky+ has been upgraded to Sky+ HD which uses the same code.

- Finally the Panasonic DMR-HS2 has been upgraded to the DMR-BWT720, which works - except for this problem.

So, apologies if I'm talking 2004 tech language, I'm sure things have moved on somewhat.

In IR.EXE I have the 'DVD' device set to Type 'DVD' and 'Code' 0490.

I then have a 'Key Move' defined For 'Key' DiscreteOn, 'Device Button' DVD, 'Device Type' DVD, 'Setup Code' 0490, 'Hex Command' $83 'EFC or Key Name' 022. I don't know how all that maps to Device 176.0 OBC 062! Smile

The only other Panasonic discrete code for Power On that I've found, from the Remote Central site, is Device 176.16, OBC 062, Function code 22 which is output from IRTool/DecodeIR. Unfortunately I don't know how to convert this to the information I need in IR.EXE!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I set up the remote I have quite some time ago, most of it was done in 2004, and have pretty much forgotten all that I learnt from this forum when I did it!!

So, apologies if I'm talking 2004 tech language, I'm sure things have moved on somewhat.

I feel your pain. I went through this learning curve twice before, and if anything the second time around is even steeper than the first. The first time it was really challenging. The second time, I was reduced to tears of frustration. I came to the forum a whining sniveling mess. This is a huge topic.

A lot has changed since IR 6 and I would urge you to update all of your tools. IR 8 is loaded with bells and whistles.

RemoteMaster and KM have had some pretty fantastic changes too. Oh and DecodeIR recognizes a lot more signal types.
---------------------------------------------

So after re-reading your first post. I have two possible reasons.

I'm guessing that your DVD player currently doesn't respond to Code 0490 at all. Since the manufacturer is hoping you'll use multiple pieces of their equipment in the same room, they allow the unit to be set up to respond to 3 different "unit" codes, so the DVD players can operate independently. Apparently Power ON and Power OFF effects them all.

Solution 1, look in the users manual, and find the procedure to change the unit code.

Or create a new setup code from the Pansaonic Master file and change the subdevice from 0 to 16 or 32 to correspond to the different unit codes. [url=
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7914]Panasonic Master RDMU file.[/url]

----------------------------------
Reason #2 is that you tweaked your IR file and removed an important device changing step, but reason #1 seems to be the most logical candidate.

Hope this helps

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
RichardP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply, I'll take a look at the latest tools.

However, I'm not that hopeful that there will be a 'nice' solution to this. In the short term I've just replaced the Discrete On with a 'Power' command, not ideal but it will suffice.

I did not actually change the DVD commands at all when changing from the old recorder, all the commands worked (except Discrete On which I thought worked until I diagnosed that it was responsible for locking up the unit!). Also, the remote from the new recorder operates the old recorder and V/V, within the functionality limits. So, both the old and new recorders appear to use the same device code and common commands, to me it looks like the new recorder just does not like the Discrete On command
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP wrote:
Thanks again for the reply, I'll take a look at the latest tools.

However, I'm not that hopeful that there will be a 'nice' solution to this. In the short term I've just replaced the Discrete On with a 'Power' command, not ideal but it will suffice.

Yes, I'm not hopeful either. Since this is working with Video/0490 you have confirmation that the unit code is "0"

So its either the hardware, or you made a mistake in your IR file. I don't have your IR file, so I can't look at it to see if you made some rookie mistake.

Quote:
So, both the old and new recorders appear to use the same device code and common commands, to me it looks like the new recorder just does not like the Discrete On command

You are probably right.
RichardP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put a copy of my ir file in my DropBox folder, the one before changing the Discrete On to just Power, you can get it here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsw1t32vuj28tle/Kamelion%20URC-8060%201st%20September%202013.ir

I think I'd rate it as 'quite complex'!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP wrote:

I think I'd rate it as 'quite complex'!

Oh yeah, quite complex. The summary report was 5 pages long! And only 4 notes to describe what you are doing. Laughing
The lack of a multiplexing protocol for the 8060 extender really complicates
the whole setup.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your DVD macro.

The only thing I see weird is the keymoves against the SAT/CBL /2000 upgrade. The protocol says there is 1 command byte, yet the keymove is showing 4 command bytes.
RichardP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the notes! Actually I have some slightly older versions with a lot more comments, but after the long break I imported the data from the remote to make sure I was working on the version I'd been using.

I think the SAT/CBL device was to perform a special command that allowed discrete Off for a Media Centre PC by executing a shortcut (Ctrl+z) that executes a small program I wrote to shutdown the PC. It's outlined in the post I made back in 2005 here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5461 I don't use Media Centre any more, so actually that part is not used although it's still implemented.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP wrote:
Sorry about the notes! Actually I have some slightly older versions with a lot more comments, but after the long break I imported the data from the remote to make sure I was working on the version I'd been using.

I used to do this exact same thing. Start over from a download all the time. However there has been a lot of development on RMIR (IR's replacement that runs on java) and sometimes when you do a download from remotes in RMIR you break things. So I changed some of my habits so I won't be left in a lurch when RMIR takes over. None of my remotes is as complicated as yours looks to be, but I do a nice job of taming some complicated systems none the less. I do use notes, because sometimes when I can't follow what I was doing, and will make mistakes that are hard to correct, without the notes as references.

Are you familiar with the Set Baseline Option in IR's Tools (I think it was available in IR 6). Typically I open the IR image, set the base Line, and then download from the remote. A quick scan of the raw data will tell me if I have the correct IR file. Its when you do work on multiple computers that things still get a bit dicey. Sometimes I do work on my laptop that does not get transferred to my desktop. I am supposed to keep them in synch, but I forget to move things to my USB drive where I keep things up to date.

Also since using RMIR, I reorganized all my IR files into folders that name the room that they go in, and then I keep my relevant KM and RDMU sheets in that room folder too. It has really simplified my constant switching up of equipment. I have 13 IR images for my 40 in-service-remotes, and it gets confusing at times. This new organization has really come in handy. RMIR keeps everything in one file which is really nice for organization, but I just prefer the control, and features found in IR. Keeping things in one folder for each room, gives me a better handle on my remotes.

Quote:

I think the SAT/CBL device was to perform a special command that allowed discrete Off for a Media Centre PC by executing a shortcut (Ctrl+z) that executes a small program I wrote to shutdown the PC. It's outlined in the post I made back in 2005 here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5461 I don't use Media Centre any more, so actually that part is not used although it's still implemented.

Yep, and I'll bet that at one point the keymoves you setup were correct, and then Rob optimized the configuration, changing it so that there are 4 device bytes and 1 command byte. Since the power command byte 20 hex,( okay there you have me talking hex too!), is the same as the first byte of the keymove, and that is the only one that is loaded from the keymove, so it works, but you have 3 useless bytes after that, or 6 useless bytes if you count both keymoves. Many of my remotes are really tight on space, so 6 bytes would break some of my setups. You seem to have plenty of space, but that can change rather quickly when you get new equipment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: