JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Importing IrScope captures as device upgrade in Remotemaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Importing IrScope captures as device upgrade in Remotemaster Reply with quote

The title says it, really. Is there a smart way of importing the outcome of IRScope captures into RM? The use case I care about is reading in a whole multi-button remote, with one, at most two, protocols and device numbers, and a bunch of OBC/EFCs.
Or do you guys just type in the OBC/EFCs again?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its typically a few cut and pastes for me.

In IRScope
Run the Summary
Copy the Decode portion
Paste it into my spreadsheet
- (Depending on the settings I may have to run a text to columns operation)
Copy the Notes coulumn and paste it in front of the OBC column
In RMIR I drag the OBC column next to the Function Name
Then I Paste the Notes/OBC into the first function name.

It helps me avoid typing errors, and its a pretty easy procedure.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any version of RMIR that has my changes has the ability to convert Learns to an Upgrade. So you could import all the IRScope captures as UEI learns into the remote (even if they wouldn't fit if you tried to upload to the remote) and then use that functionality. Being able to just import an IRScope file directly to make an upgrade was on my todo list for RMIR...I think it should have that capability for sure if the signals decode properly.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, Vicky and Vyrolan. As someone probably guessed, I was nof really after a clipboard-based solution, but the confirmation that there is natural import path.

In order not to be to mystical: Here is what I am after: I would like to import a structured list, containing protocol names, parameters like device, obc (preferred over efc) etc, and have RM construct a device upgrade, or at least a skeleton thereof. (Whether raw/learned/undecoded signals can be dealt with is secondary.) The trickiest thing is probably to select an executor from the protocol(s). Possibly Vyrolan's code can be used here?

Yes, I know, I would be a good candidate for implementing this Wink , but I am presently really busy...
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said and done. I have implemented an import facility for the so-called Girr files of IrScrutinizer. Girr is a very general exchange format for IR signals, designed by myself, described in detail here.

The version is downloadable here. It is a complete Remotemaster package, runs on Windows, Linux, Mac. It is based on the SVN version 1202, the two files I have changed are available here.

Probably the question on why to import such an "exotic" format crops up. Why not import for example ict from IrScope instead?

There is simply no natural candidate. IrScrutinizer, which is free software, can generate Girr files from almost anything, and also capture using IrWidger or other sensors. It would be possible to implement e.g. ict import if there is a need and interest for it. However, since only IrScope speaks ict, and it supports only the IrWidget that is not available any longer (unless building yourself), it is not a universal solution.

Partially due to the nature of the problem, partially due to the "grown" nature of RemoteMaster (in particular protocols.ini), the problem of finding executors and their parameters from DecodeIR/IrpMaster compatible parameters and protocol names, is really nasty. I have implemented a limited amount of "black magic" for particular protocols, but covering all the different executors and their parametrization is just too many special cases. So the importer does not cover 100% of all signals/executors, and probably never will. However, in the cases when it not succeeds completely, fixing it up manually is not really hard.

Another issue is to communicate IrScrutinizer -> Remotemaster without manually creating a file. I have a few ideas...

Open to bugreports and suggestions for improvements... Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to follow this but am obviously missing something, so here's what I did.

First I tried downloading the zip file above and seeing as how it looks like RM, I tried double clicking on the remotemaster jar file, but that threw a Java error. So I deleted everything and unzipped the main RMIR zip file into a new folder then unzipped the above file and let it overlay the RMIR files. Then I fired up RMIR from that folder and used the Open menu command to try and open the girr file, but it didn't recognize it. Then it occurred to me that maybe we're supposed to use RM instead of RMIR, so I fired that up and see that there is in Import Girr option, so I selected that and selected a Girr file that I had created, but nothing happened.

Now, I probably created the Girr file incorrectly. In IRSc I selected Import > Lirc > selected a Lirc file > Load File/URL > Import All Then I selected Export, and here's where things get tricky, first I clicked Export Signal, but it said "Not exporting Empty Signal", so I clicked "Export Param Remote" but it gave some really long error message, then I clicked Export Raw Remote and it said "No Raw Signals Present, export aborted", then I clicked Export Generated and no error message, and I think a new line appeared down below, and I see that I do have a Girr file in my folder, so I think I'm good. But I have to be honest, I never feel like I know what I'm doing with this program, which is an unusual feeling for me in JP1.

So what next?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
],,, maybe we're supposed to use RM instead of RMIR, so I fired that up and see that there is in Import Girr option, so I selected that and selected a Girr file that I had created, but nothing happened.

Looked for errors in rmaster.err?

In case you are interested, this is my collection.

Quote:

Now, I probably created the Girr file incorrectly. In IRSc I selected Import > Lirc > selected a Lirc file > Load File/URL > Import All Then I selected Export, and here's where things get tricky, first I clicked Export Signal, but it said "Not exporting Empty Signal"

This exports the signal on the "Scrutinizer signal" pane, if there is such a thing. (To generate a dummy signal there, press F9 You can export that.)

Quote:

, so I clicked "Export Param Remote" but it gave some really long error message,

"long"...

Quote:

then I clicked Export Raw Remote and it said "No Raw Signals Present,

Scrutinize Remote/Raw remote was empty, as the message suggests. Press F9 with that pane active to generate a dummy.

Quote:
then I clicked Export Generated and no error message, and I think a new line appeared down below,

It probably said that the operation was successful,. and the name used.

You can open the just-generated file with the "standard" editor by "Open last file", also Actions -> Open last export file. It is an xml file that can be read with any text editor.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, when I tried to open the Girr file in your version of RM, nothing happened.

And the reason I wrote down everything that I tried was just to try and show you how difficult (or at least, non intuitive) this tool can be to use, and I consider myself an expert, so just imagine how others might feel.

I have no doubt that all of your tools are very powerful, it's just that the learning curve to use them is so high.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
And the reason I wrote down everything that I tried was just to try and show you how difficult (or at least, non intuitive) this tool can be to use, and I consider myself an expert, so just imagine how others might feel.

I have no doubt that all of your tools are very powerful, it's just that the learning curve to use them is so high.

Since this page of this thread covers all the way back to 2013, that really is one heck of a learning curve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: