JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Really OT = Wireless router information WPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Really OT = Wireless router information WPS Reply with quote

Okay, this is REALLY off topic, but you guys always are my technical support.

I use unsecured wifi in the common area at my complex.

Some visitor pressed the "Push N Connect" button on the wireless router, and the wifi got password protected. 2 of the people that were connected unsecurely when the wifi got locked could no longer connect after security was once again disabled.

My old XP machine didn't have an issue but the post (2007 WPS compliant) PCs did have issues.

Out of desperation, I rolled back my husbands W7 computer to the last restore point and was finally able to reconnect.

Does anyone know what happens to existing connections when a router goes into WPS mode from unsecured mode?

I think I could probably have deleted the profile with the

netsh wlan delete profile name="openwifiprofile name"

but I can't test my hypothesis without hurting someone.

I have googled and googled this but can't seem to find an answer.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WPS generates a random SSID (your router's WiFi "name") and password. Non-WPS compliant devices won't change so can't access the network. Enter the router's setup page and change the SSID back to what it was before and turn the security features off again.

If you can't access the router you can usually reset it by pressing a little button on the back. Default username for NetGear devices is admin and password is password. You have to access it with a computer that has its IP address set within the same range as the router (192.168.0.1 for NetGear so set the PC to 192.168.0.15 or something).

The inability to re-connect from another device once the router has been reset to its prior state is a problem with the individual devices. In this case, delete any old connections and set up new connections for each device.

I'm assuming that you are aware, of course, of the dangers of having unsecured network viz-a-viz unwanted intrusion, hijacking of your internet connection for nefarious purposes etc. and preusme that your WiFI network is, therefore, in an area that nasty people can't approach within about a 1/2-mile radius.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks underquark.

This WPS left our SSID alone, it was already customized, but it did turn on the WPA security with a 63 character password.

underquark wrote:

The inability to re-connect from another device once the router has been reset to its prior state is a problem with the individual devices. In this case, delete any old connections and set up new connections for each device.

Yes I realize its the individual machine, that's why the rollback helped with the W7 machine. Its just odd that it would corrupt the connections on the unsecured wifi. I would have thought the PIN number would have needed to be entered in the unsecured devices, to have them change. Its really odd. I want to help the rest of the guys fix their connection, without just a half baked notion.

I wish I had done the
netsh wlan delete profile name =
thingy instead of doing a nollback so I could be more informed.

Quote:

I'm assuming that you are aware, of course, of the dangers of having unsecured network viz-a-viz unwanted intrusion, hijacking of your internet connection for nefarious purposes etc. and preusme that your WiFI network is, therefore, in an area that nasty people can't approach within about a 1/2-mile radius.

Yes, I am aware of the dangers of using open wifi. We merely use it to read the news, and do light web surfing.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a NetGear DGN1000? I had one of those and it lost WiFi connectivity one day but was OK after a reboot. Happened again, reboot and OK. Then, a few months later, and I just couldn't connect despite everything appearing to be set up correctly on the router and the devices trying to access it. Dumped it and got a TP-link router and haven't had any problems since.
Killer2600

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are easier ways to delete associated wi-fi networks than the command line.

As for the whole mess, many wi-fi devices will stop attempting to connect to networks they don't have a password for. As for reconnecting once the security is removed, you have to re-establish the intent to connect to that network which may require deleting the known profile.

On a side note, open wi-fi is risky business for all parties (end-user and service provider). Avoid like the plague whenever possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: