JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PCI Parallel Card Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrf4665

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: PCI Parallel Card Needed Reply with quote

Hello all,

Having recently upgraded my audio processor, Bluray player, and video monitor, I need to reprogram my venerable RS 15-1994 to use with my new gear. I have a parallel JP1 adapter that I bought from Hovisdirect back in 2002 and have not had to use it in the last 5 years. I've since upgraded my computers and no longer have any with parallel ports. Sad day. Sad

I am thinking of going down the path of adding a PCI parallel card to my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to be able to make use of my existing JP1 adapter cable. Question is - will any inexpensive PCI parallel card do or is there a specific card, chipset, etc., that will provide me with the highest probability of success? I've found that there are other USB options that will work as well but figured I would try a parallel card first. Any recommendations?

Also, if trying a parallel card is ill-advised, what would be my next best option? I have three 1994's and love them and don't anticipate changing them anytime soon but that would certainly be an option if getting my current setup to work proves fruitless.

Would welcome all comments.

Thanks!
jchiso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any PCI card should work using defaults. You can also set LPT modes and address. In the long term, the easiest and best thing to do is buy a USB JP1.2/3 cable and JP1.1 adapter. This will allow you to update your 15-1994s and any newer model remote you may acquire in the future ...
mrf4665

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sage advice and I think I will follow that path as it won't require me to pop the lid on my computer and will have me set for when my 15-1994s give up the ghost.

Any consensus on what USB JP1.2/1.3 + JP1 adapter cables are the best and will offer the highest probability of success? Or are they all effectively identical? Also, I presume that they will work just fine with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit?

Also, I might be igniting a firestorm here but what's the current favorite remote, if using my beloved 1994's as a baseline?

Thanks again. Smile
jchiso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used the DIY Gadget cable and adapter but they've performed flawlessly for me with several different remote models. I have a 15-1994 and have searched tirelessly for another model that performs as well. The Insignia model works and is laid out well. The challenge is finding the backlit version, if you've become accustomed to the 15-1994. The Atlas remote works well and has a slew of buttons and backlighting, but some of the buttons are poorly-labeled or otherwise confusing.

If backlighting is not a particular concern and you need a DVR-capable model a Radio Shack 15-134 works really well. I have not used either myself, but the RCA RCRP05B and Vizio VUR8 look like similarly-capable models that are still widely available ...
mrf4665

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. I will order the DIY Gadget cable as it appears as though Tommy Tyler's store is no longer accessible.

My primary attraction to the 15-1994 is the button layout and general ergonomics. For me, it's simply perfect. So much so that I spent a weekend calling and driving to all Radio Shack stores in the LA area to track 'em down ~11 years ago. I was able to find three 1994s and a 15-1995 which I like a lot less. I don't use the backlight very often so that's not critical. Big, tactile buttons and a smart layout are the most important features to me personally.

Will order the RCRP05B as I see that they're plentiful. With regard to the Atlas and Insignia models that you mentioned - any specific model number that I should look for?

Thanks again for all of your assistance. It's greatly appreciated!
jchiso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlas is the OCAP 1056B01. The Insignia has several model numbers, most commonly NS-RC01G-09 and NS-RC02U-10A. There's a thread about them here ...
mrf4665

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding. Thanks again.

Attempted to order the USB cable from DIY Gadgets today and see that they're out-of-stock. If not back in stock in the next week or so I may have another go at adding a parallel card so I can get my 1994's up and spinning...
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some newer Atlas remotes may be the 1056B03. It and others, including the most recent Comcast remotes, are JP2 remotes. Our software works with JP2 remotes, but so far we have not had success reading from JP2 remotes with the DIY Gadget cables. Oddly, the DIY Gadget cables can write to the remotes. Cables based on the FTDI chipset (e.g. Tommy Tyler's, or this one that requires very light assembly) do work with JP2 and also JP3 remotes.

Something to think about when ordering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: