JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Building a JP1 cable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paoleela

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Where to buy a ready-made JP1 USB Cable in Germany? Reply with quote

Hi,

today I'm also looking for a JP1 cable (or with adapter) in Germany.
Anyone of the german users may recommend some place to buy?
US prices are not that high, but I would like to avoid. Then diygadget.com does take 2 shipping costs for the USB cable + tiny adapter.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 cables are not commercially available anywhere, they're only available from DIY-type vendors. There are only 2 vendors worldwide who make them, one is Tommy Tyler (the guy who invented them) and the other is DIYGADGET. Seeing as Tommy's store is closed at the moment, DIYGADGET is your only option.

Last edited by The Robman on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy a ready-made JP1 USB Cable in Germany? Reply with quote

paoleela wrote:
Then diygadget.com does take 2 shipping costs for the USB cable + tiny adapter.

FWIW, you don't need the adapter unless you're going to have one of the older JP1 remotes, which you'd probably struggle to even find without some effort at this point. If you're using one of the newer remotes, just the USB cable is all you need.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this thread, you have a Dreambox 7020. That is very likely to be a remote based on flash memory rather than an EEPROM. If it is flash based, you don't need a JP1 adapter; you just need a JP1.3 flash cable.

Try to blink back the remote's signature, using the 983 command. Probably it will be 3306, although 1038 is also possible. Both of these simply need a JP1.3 flash cable.

Have you looked at assembling the cable yourself, using the FTDI TTL-232R USB to serial adapter cable? No soldering is required; you just need to change from a 1X6 connector to a 2X3 in order to mate to the JP1.3 connector. I expect this part is available in Germany. ETA: Tommy Tyler has recommended buying from Mouser, because they have the correct 2X3 connector, but I didn't find the FTDI part on Mouser in Germany. Digikey seems to have it.
paoleela

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I'm just learning about these 983 commands and others. Yes, the response was 1038.

Weird, I just read the google spreadsheet, there the Dreambox 7000 remotes are tagged as JP1 The board of the remote also says JP1. But nice to know that I don't need the adapter. A bit confusing.
It is exactly this remote: Dreambox_7025_Fernbedienung
Thank you for the DIY guide for that cable, I just thought the USB cable are not easily possible by DIY, only the serial or parallel cable, but looks easy.
paoleela

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the cable need to be 3V or does 5V also work? Because I found this one already prepared with connector 6x1 (not 3x2) which is cheaper than this one without connector. I guess only the 2nd would work, no? Weird but what I can't find in Germany is this tiny 2x3 connector. Mouser has this all but huge shipping costs. German "Reichelt" doesn't have it.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get a 3.3v cable, I think. If it comes with a 1 x 6 connector you can easily convert this to a 2 x 3 connector as shown here.

One possible source is here. Ask for the 'USB2TTL3B - 3.3v TTL with BLACK Moudling'. £15 (€18.50) including postage to Germany.
paoleela

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so 3.3v is necessary. Wow, I found this China cable with 6 single connectors for different application. If this fits it would be very flexible for both 6x1 or 3x2 sockets.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always cheaper to buy direct from the Far East, of course (many European and US sellers get their stock from the far East, after all) but remember the shipping delays - you might get it by Christmas, you might not.
paoleela

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this 6 single connector solution could fit? Of course I need to remember the wiring every time but I would be save for the future, if sockets are changing.
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi paoleela

From the photo it looks as if there are several connectors with one lead and one with two leads on them. So you would also need a 6in1 connector.

I had trouble with cutting one down from a hard drive ribbon because the wires were so fine, were slippery and hard to solder, and I managed eventually to repeatedly break a wire.

The connector supplied at first to me from DIY, on a complete lead and connector, was still not as robust as I needed and again I managed eventually to break a wire!
The wires were attached to metal connectors slipped onto the very fine pins and I found I could not repair that set up satisfactorily.

Of three other connectors I tried the best one was from DIY. It was the 'JP1/JP1.1/JP1.2/JP1.3 Socket Extension Adapter' and had substantial pins to solder the wires to which seemed to be moulded into a block but $9.99 + $5 postage.

If you went China & DIY socket Extension Adapter that would amount to $25.40 (cf. DIY complete JP1.3 lead $35).
You would have the bother of soldering the wires but as follows you would have a lead with strong cable-to-plug connection, which I found otherwise to be problematic.

- You can cut down the pins to be a bit shorter than some tiny copper tubes.
- Clean out the inside of the five tubes.
- Solder the tubes onto the pins.
- Put shrink wrap wide enough to acommodate the plug on the whole cable, followed by another piece of shrink wrap to enclose the pins, and finally a piece of very fine shrink wrap on each wire, to support its connection to the individual pin.
- solder the five wires into the open ends of the five tubes, already in place on the pins.
- (*Important) Test the plug to make sure the wies are on the right pins!
- shrink the series of three types of shrink wrap.

It was a bother to source the tubes and correct sizes of shrink wrap, and did not save the possible $10, but in the end I did two leads like that and both have been reliable.

From the stock I had to get in, I can send you 5 tubes and the required lengths of shrink wrap in a letter, to save some of the bother if you want to go that route, especially since another member did something similar for me at one stage Smile

Regards
Chris
paoleela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the China cable since it looks so easy and only costs $10 or 8 EUR, including shipping. I'm going to tell you if it is working...
paoleela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The china cable from ebay has arrived after 4 weeks:
1x USB to TTL Serial Cable Adapter FTDI Chipset FT232 USB... (330809610323) seller: chipworld

But the Chinese sent the cable with 6 inline connectors instead of 6 separate connectors, so I can't connect the remote which has 2x3 connectors.
I'm just going to remove the connectors and use the plain cable pins...
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you intend to take the connector off anyway, you have nothing to lose by getting your scissors out and trying this first.
paoleela

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both "FTDI cable hack.pdf" and "Easier Building the FTDI Interface.pdf" and try to get connection that Dreambox 7020 remote.

My cable colors are different: Black, Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, White
The docs are relating to this set: Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green
How can I determine the mapping? Yes, the hack by cutting the 6x1 into 3+2 looks fine, I'd like to do that.

Concerning Linux: Plugging in USB I get
Code:
Jan 08 13:52:51 [kernel] usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
Jan 08 13:52:51 [kernel] usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[kernel] usb 2-1.2: Product: FT232R USB UART
[kernel] usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: FTDI
[kernel] usb 2-1.2: SerialNumber: A601NL09
Don't I need any kernel module to support that? Which /dev device is accessing the port then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: