JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Behind Closed Doors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Behind Closed Doors Reply with quote

Is the NextGen the only option for an AV system behind closed doors? Or is there a simple IR repeater?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are IR repeaters, they consist of an IR receiver which you place somewhere in line of sight with the remote and an IR transmitter that you place in line of sight of the device.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky. May I recommend URC RF10, because of its simple but powerful configuration options and extra buttons?
http://www.amazon.com/URC-MasterControl-RF10-Universal-Capability/dp/B000FL5OIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356381970&sr=1-1&keywords=rf10

and PowerBlaster URC MRF100B
http://www.amazon.com/MRF100B-PowerBlaster-MasterControl-Series-Remotes/dp/B000FYZ33A/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

Only trouble might be that the system does not have radio channels and so could interfere with, or suffer interference from, another local system

Regards
Chris
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the IR repeater will be the way to go for this remote. I was looking at the nextgen, but the cost gets really high when you add extra remotes.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought you might like another remote too Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would prefer to use IR instead of RF, and seeing the cost is going to be about 1/4 of what I was going to spend on a repeater system.

All the frequencies are in the 36k range, so this will probably work great. I just need to see the actual cupboards to make sure line of sight is going to be okay.

tranx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I misunderstood you but URC RF10 always sends both IR and RF together. URC MRF100B is an RF receiver and IR emitter for inside a cupboard or another room.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood you but URC RF10 always sends both IR and RF together. URC MRF100B is an RF receiver and IR emitter for inside a cupboard or another room.

Nope, I was thinking of using a nextgen RF thingy with 2 RCA remotes, but that was going to be a bit pricey.

The RCA remotes are $12 each. The nextgen was 40, and the extra battery was 20, leading to $84

The two RC10's and a power blaster base 112

With the IR Repeater 2 rca remotes and three lead repeater is going to be about $44

tranx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big difference!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, Vicky's looking to set something up where, no matter which remote she's using, it will connect with the devices behind closed doors. Using the Nextgen will work for one remote, but you'd need to buy another one for each additional remote that you might want to use.

UEI makes the perfect device, but I don't know how you go about buying one...

http://www.uei.com/category.php?page_id=67&featured_product=113
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Basically, Vicky's looking to set something up where, no matter which remote she's using, it will connect with the devices behind closed doors. Using the Nextgen will work for one remote, but you'd need to buy another one for each additional remote that you might want to use.
yes, its another $20 for every remote you want to convert with the little battery sensor.

Quote:

UEI makes the perfect device, but I don't know how you go about buying one...

http://www.uei.com/category.php?page_id=67&featured_product=113

Yes, I didn't realize that something like this was available. I had read about the nextgen in the forum, but I didn't know that there were standalone non-RF ir-repeaters.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search for "ir repeater" on Amazon you will get many hits. This is just one example. $38 and it just blasts out anything it receives. Previous HDTVs that I have owned actually had plugs on the back that you just plugged in IR cords. This was especially nice, since the remote was always pointed at the TV and the IR signals were echoed out to all devices in my cabinet. My recent TV does not have this feature and I really miss it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like prelude at diygadget.com is selling these too

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/ir-infrared-remote-control-repeater-emitter-extender-1-2-121.html

I have had really good luck with my diygadget cable. I will probably get it from our vendors.

pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The powered by USB is a convenient plus if your TV has USB on it.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally be wary of super cheap IR kits. The theory is good that IR is simple and easy, but it can be pretty problematic. Sometimes the receivers are not that great or the frequency range is not good. Sometimes they can't handle longer signals or don't understand repeats properly (end up having to hit volume over and over instead of holding). I checked a couple of the brands I trust, but they'd both seemingly be over your budget. Hopefully you have good luck with one of those kits and it doesn't give you any problems. =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: