JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New remote and cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbygo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: New remote and cable Reply with quote

I'm planning to buy a new remote and interface cable to do some JP1 stuff on Win7-64 bit.

Before I buy, can anyone confirm if this DIYGADGET cable works with this RCA remote on Win7-64bit?

Cable: http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes.html
Remote: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-Device-Replacement-Universal/dp/B0028IKXLS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3D7CLFZMXT5L6&coliid=I1NQ3PXQKCMMFD
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCA RCRP05B is an excellent remote.

The DIY cable will in principle work, and some examples do. However, there are lots of threads here in which users have had to get a replacement for the DIY, or cut their losses and bought from another supplier.

The RCRP05B is a JP1.3 remote. Newer models are JP1.4 and JP2 or JP3. The DIY interface seems to not work with JP2 and newer remotes.

Tommy Tyler makes excellent interfaces. If you want something cheaper, $20 will buy a FTDI USB to TTL serial converter. These work with JP1.2 and newer remotes.
gumbygo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I don't want any headaches, so I'll go with Tommy's interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: