JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 2116 Reassign VPT device in macro?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: RS 2116 Reassign VPT device in macro? Reply with quote

I have an RS 2116 remote that I currently use the VPT to control my TV volume on all devices except my reciever. I've also got a macro on my reciever that will power up the reciever and select the appropriate input.

Is there any way to embed a command in my receiver macro to change the VPT device to AUD when this macro is executed? And of course I'd need a way to switch the VPT device back to TV in my Reciever's off macro.

Any ideas?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: RS 2116 Reassign VPT device in macro? Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Is there any way to embed a command in my receiver macro to change the VPT device to AUD when this macro is executed? And of course I'd need a way to switch the VPT device back to TV in my Reciever's off macro.

Any ideas?
Yes, there are 2 ways. One is with the extender which gives you full control of all the Home Theater settings and the other is the special protocols spreadsheet that can be found in the Yahoo jp1 files section.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not using the extender, why would you need to switch VPT for one device?

Without the extender, KeyMoves override VPT, so you just need KeyMoves for Vol+, Vol- and Mute in the Reciever mode to get the desired effect. The special protocol would be a lot more effort and eeprom space than those three KeyMoves.

With the extender, changing VPT on a per device basis is trivial (and KeyMoves don't override VPT).
BigAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things... I've only got 25 free move/macro memory slots. Will this be enough for either or both of these options? I've got over half of my upgrade and learned signal memory available.

Also, just to clarify what I'm after. I want all devices to use the receiver as the volume control after I hit execute my reciever power up macro and I then want all of my devices to use the TV for volume once I hit the receiver off macro.

In the past there wasn't a 2116 extender (no I haven't been here in a little while)... sounds like that has changed.

Thanks for the info.

Alan
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:

Also, just to clarify what I'm after. I want all devices to use the receiver as the volume control after I hit execute my reciever power up macro and I then want all of my devices to use the TV for volume once I hit the receiver off macro.

That changes things. That's easy with the extender and not too much harder using a special protocol to change VPT. The simple KeyMove method won't do that.
BigAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender does look really powerful (Kudos to whoever developed that thing) but I've got my remote pretty well all setup and I'd rather not have to redo it.

Also, it looks like it won't work with learned commands. I've got a bunch of learned commands... I had to use learned commands because I ran out of keymove space... the learned commands occupy different memory so it gave me a way to do the needed key moves.

I'll take a look at the special protocol option.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
The extender does look really powerful (Kudos to whoever developed that thing) but I've got my remote pretty well all setup and I'd rather not have to redo it..

You seem to have a misconception about the extender. You don't have to "re-do" that much. Potentially a few (but not all) keymoves and macros, but all of your protocol and device upgrades import directly when you convert to the extender.

BigAl wrote:
Also, it looks like it won't work with learned commands. I've got a bunch of learned commands... I had to use learned commands because I ran out of keymove space... the learned commands occupy different memory so it gave me a way to do the needed key moves.

THAT'S THE BEAUTY of the extender! YOU WON'T HAVE TO USE LEARNED SIGNALS! All of your "learned" memory is converted to "keymove/macro" memory (which accomplishes assignment of commands to buttons FAR more efficiently than learning), thereby allowing an ENORMOUS increase in available keymove and macro space.

If what you descirbe about running out of Keymove/Macro space is accurate, I strongly suggest that you shift to the extender. It will allow you to solve not only your VPT problem, but also the inefficient use of memory to use learned signals.
BigAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as soon as a reread my last post I was thinking that same thing. I'll look at the extender again... it would help me get around the limited keymove/macro memory, I've also run into the 15 cmd macro limit... the extender would take care of both of these as well as the VPT issue.

Thanks for the slap upside the head... to quote an old 70's commercial... "Thanks, I needed that".
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: