JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

adding to Macro for URC-9910b
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
In RM (Setuup tab) I don't see where to add special protocol.
After selecting your remote at the top, open the Protocol drop-down and select Pause Protocol (Special). Be sure to read the Protocol Notes.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In RM, "Pause Protocol (Special)" should already be one of the available protocols. You don't have to add it.

Once you've selected it in the Protocol drop-down box, you'll see instructions in the "Protocol Notes" explaining how to use it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to wait 4 seconds, do you really want the power up macro to take care of the input selection for you? Because it would mean that you would have to stand there holding the remote for all of that time.

IMHO, it would be better to program a button as your "input select" button, then have the macros leave the remote in the right mode where that "input select" button is pre-programmed to select the desired input.

For example, in your original IR file I see that you have two TV based macros:

M1 = TV, Power, CBL, Power (needs Comp1 selected)
M3 = TV, Power, CD, Power (needs HDMI2 selected)

My first suggestion would be to move these macros to shift/CBL and shift/CD. Then I'd use the M1 button as the "input select" button.

I gather from the previous conversation that the "1" button in TV mode will select Comp1, and the "3" button will select HMDI2. So, what I would do is keymove (ie, copy) the "1" button from TV mode over to the M1 button in CBL mode. Then I'd keymove the "3" button from TV mode over to the M1 button in CD mode.

Then, when using the remote, you would press SET-CBL to turn on the system for cable, then once the TV has warmed up (ie, the 4 second wait) you would press the M1 button (if needed) to switch the TV to Comp1 mode.

You would press SET-CD to turn the system on for DVD, and then once the TV has warmed up (ie, the 4 second wait) you would press the M1 button (if needed) to switch the TV to HMDI2 mode.

Here's an IR file set up the way I just described:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7103

The added benefit of doing it this way is that, when you want to switch from watching the cable to watching the DVD player, assuming it's already turned on, all you have to do is press CBL, M1 and you're all set.
radunn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I gather from the previous conversation that the "1" button in TV mode will select Comp1, and the "3" button will select HMDI2. So, what I would do is keymove (ie, copy) the "1" button from TV mode over to the M1 button in CBL mode. Then I'd keymove the "3" button from TV mode over to the M1 button in CD mode.

Then, when using the remote, you would press SET-CBL to turn on the system for cable, then once the TV has warmed up (ie, the 4 second wait) you would press the M1 button (if needed) to switch the TV to Comp1 mode.

You would press SET-CD to turn the system on for DVD, and then once the TV has warmed up (ie, the 4 second wait) you would press the M1 button (if needed) to switch the TV to HMDI2 mode.
You hit the nail on the head. What I changed since prior posts is that in TV mode the number keys are as follows: 1=HDMI1, 2=HDMI2 and 3=Component1; I still want to accomplish the same tasks.

Having reviewed your revised IR file I didn't find where the number keys 1-3 in TV mode where keymoved to cable/cd etc.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In RM (Setuup tab) I don't see where to add special protocol.

You don't ADD it, you select it from the list of protocols.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
Having reviewed your revised IR file I didn't find where the number keys 1-3 in TV mode where keymoved to cable/cd etc.

Look at the Keymoves tab, you'll see that I added two new keymoves where the EFCs used were the ones that are assigned to the 1 and 3 buttons in the TV device upgrade.
radunn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Look at the Keymoves tab, you'll see that I added two new keymoves where the EFCs used were the ones that are assigned to the 1 and 3 buttons in the TV device upgrade.

Thanks... you are right on; it works! Only thing I had to change was the EFCs after changing their assignments... After all of this work the only problem I foresee is that the Set button is too recessed; being that I use a cover on the remote. Sad

Perhaps my original configuration of M1 (TV, Power, Cable) will make do. I don't really see much advantage/shortcuts to the newly accomplished keystrokes vs. old keystrokes (M1, TV 1,2,3 etc.)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could absolutely go back to using M1, M2, M3 for your macros if the SET button is too recessed (I use a 15-1994 where it's quite prominent). But if you do, you would need to pick another button to be your all-purpose "input select" button.

The point of doing the keymoves to program M1 (or whichever button you decide to use) is that the button selects the right input based on the device mode that you're in, so the user doesn't need to think about it too much.

Tell me which conversation would be easier. Here's the question:

Hey Ray, the TV's in the wrong mode, what do I do?

answer #1:

Ray: what are you watching?
Wife: cable
Ray: OK then, press TV, then 1, then CBL
Wife: but what if I was watching the DVD?
Ray: then you'd press TV, then 3, then CD

answer #2:

Ray: press M1
radunn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You could absolutely go back to using M1, M2, M3 for your macros if the SET button is too recessed (I use a 15-1994 where it's quite prominent). But if you do, you would need to pick another button to be your all-purpose "input select" button.

The point of doing the keymoves to program M1 (or whichever button you decide to use) is that the button selects the right input based on the device mode that you're in, so the user doesn't need to think about it too much.

Tell me which conversation would be easier. Here's the question:

Hey Ray, the TV's in the wrong mode, what do I do?

answer #1:

Ray: what are you watching?
Wife: cable
Ray: OK then, press TV, then 1, then CBL
Ray: then you'd press TV, then 3, then CD

answer #2:

Definitely #2 is easiest. Is there another key that can be used for Set? If so, that will make using the remote alot easier. I was even thinking about applying glue (hot glue gun) to t he Set key so that it's raised... lol
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried gluing extensions onto the SET button before but it didn't take. Hot glue might work for a while, if you can prevent it from sticking to the casing.

You can convert any button into a SET button by programming a macro to the button which has one step, that being SET.

Or, you could just use a different button for the input select. I don't know how you're using the rest of the buttons, and I see that all 4 learning buttons and all 3 macros buttons are already in use, so I can't make a suggestion.
radunn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: adding to Macro for URC-9910b Reply with quote

Currently I have working macros for my TV, cable box and DVD players etc. The working macro(s) consist of M1 and M3 being replaced with the Shift key for the cable and dvd player (power on/off). Somehow I lost the function of pressing M1 to set the TV to Component for the cable box and HDMI2 for the dvd player. If I press 'TV-3' Component is set; 'TV-2' for HDMI2. I'd like to eliminate these extra key strokes.

I am requesting a macro that will set the TV to the desired mode; component or hdmi2. After reading a few help files for inserting Pause into the macro(s) via RM-IR I was unsuccessful. I can post the files used (unsuccessful and successful) so they can be reviewed. Maybe I don't even need Pause. Thanks for your advice and support

Links to working / non-working macros (Shift-TV was not in 1st amendment; still did not work):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11550
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11551
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RaDunn,

I have only slept 2 hours in the past 24,so this might not make sense, but let me give you two hints.

1) When making a macro, you want to minimize the time it runs. Using a PAUSE is a last restort. If you need to wait 10 seconds between powering the Cable button on, and changing it to channel 3, rearrange your macro so that you do as many other steps as possible before the 3.

2) Use NOTES liberally. Really it helps to have some idea of what you were trying to accomplish. You put this away for a few years and come back to it, and you'll be totally clueless as to what you did and why.

3)IR has a sorting mechanism for those keymoves, that will make this much easier to read. Click on the column heads and arrange the items. There is also a dragging feature, that only sometimes works for me, but you click on the number in the # column and the line will turn turquoise and then you can drag it where you want to go.

4) IR has a Summary report that really makes debugging easy. I hope someday they add something similar to RMIR.

summary wrote:
KEY MOVES:
Target Source Device Setup EFC or
# Device Target Key Device Type Code Hex Cmd Key Name Note
1 AUX Prev AUX TV 0154 $67 249
2 CBL M1 TV TV 1060 $9E 190
3 CD M1 TV TV 1060 $82 030
4 CD SHIFT-F.Rew CD DVD 1490 $2E 067
5 CD SHIFT-FWD CD DVD 1490 $39 203
6 CD Sleep CD DVD 1490 $7C 177
7 CD L1 CD DVD 1490 $4E 064
8 CD L2 CD DVD 1490 $FB 213
9 CD L3 CD DVD 1490 $5F 184
10 CD L4 CD DVD 1490 $3E 195
11 RCVR/AMP Sleep RCVR/AMP RCVR 1320 $45 $20 08421
12 TV SHIFT-Menu TV TV 1060 $2D 043
13 TV L1 TV TV 1060 $C9 068
14 TV L2 TV TV 1060 $D7 116
15 TV L3 TV TV 1060 $57 120
16 TV L4 TV TV 1060 $97 118
17 TV SHIFT-Exit TV TV 1060 $E5 229
18 TV Phantom1 TV TV 1060 $FA 221 10 sec delay
19 VCR SHIFT-VOL+ VCR VCR 1067 $73 153
20 VCR SHIFT-VOL- VCR VCR 1067 $96 126
21 VCR SHIFT-CH+ VCR VCR 1067 $9C 174
22 VCR SHIFT-CH- VCR VCR 1067 $1C 178
23 VCR SHIFT-PIP VCR VCR 1067 $43 024
24 VCR SHIFT-MOVE VCR VCR 1067 $17 122
25 VCR SHIFT-SWAP VCR VCR 1067 $87 246
26 VCR Phantom1 VCR VCR 1067 $A7 247

MACROS:
# Target Key Macro Keys Note
1 SHIFT-CBL TV;Power;CBL;Power;SHIFT-TV;Phantom2;3
2 M2 RCVR/AMP;Power;Guide;CD;Power
3 SHIFT-CD TV;Power;CD;Power;SHIFT-TV;Phantom2;2

I'm aboslutely clueless as to what you are trying to do here.
You are calling Shift-TV, but that has no definition. So that's a non-functioning key. (Did you mean to call TV?)

You've added a new 10 second keymove on TV-phantom1, buth you are calling Cable-Phantom2. Cable Phantom 2 is unassigned another non-functioning key.
Then you are tuning your cable button to channel 3.
radunn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hi RaDunn,

I have only slept 2 hours in the past 24,so this might not make sense, but let me give you two hints.

1) When making a macro, you want to minimize the time it runs. Using a PAUSE is a last restort. If you need to wait 10 seconds between powering the Cable button on, and changing it to channel 3, rearrange your macro so that you do as many other steps as possible before the 3.

2) Use NOTES liberally. Really it helps to have some idea of what you were trying to accomplish. You put this away for a few years and come back to it, and you'll be totally clueless as to what you did and why.

3)IR has a sorting mechanism for those keymoves, that will make this much easier to read. Click on the column heads and arrange the items. There is also a dragging feature, that only sometimes works for me, but you click on the number in the # column and the line will turn turquoise and then you can drag it where you want to go.

4) IR has a Summary report that really makes debugging easy. I hope someday they add something similar to RMIR.

summary wrote:
KEY MOVES:
Target Source Device Setup EFC or
# Device Target Key Device Type Code Hex Cmd Key Name Note
1 AUX Prev AUX TV 0154 $67 249
2 CBL M1 TV TV 1060 $9E 190
3 CD M1 TV TV 1060 $82 030
4 CD SHIFT-F.Rew CD DVD 1490 $2E 067
5 CD SHIFT-FWD CD DVD 1490 $39 203
6 CD Sleep CD DVD 1490 $7C 177
7 CD L1 CD DVD 1490 $4E 064
8 CD L2 CD DVD 1490 $FB 213
9 CD L3 CD DVD 1490 $5F 184
10 CD L4 CD DVD 1490 $3E 195
11 RCVR/AMP Sleep RCVR/AMP RCVR 1320 $45 $20 08421
12 TV SHIFT-Menu TV TV 1060 $2D 043
13 TV L1 TV TV 1060 $C9 068
14 TV L2 TV TV 1060 $D7 116
15 TV L3 TV TV 1060 $57 120
16 TV L4 TV TV 1060 $97 118
17 TV SHIFT-Exit TV TV 1060 $E5 229
18 TV Phantom1 TV TV 1060 $FA 221 10 sec delay
19 VCR SHIFT-VOL+ VCR VCR 1067 $73 153
20 VCR SHIFT-VOL- VCR VCR 1067 $96 126
21 VCR SHIFT-CH+ VCR VCR 1067 $9C 174
22 VCR SHIFT-CH- VCR VCR 1067 $1C 178
23 VCR SHIFT-PIP VCR VCR 1067 $43 024
24 VCR SHIFT-MOVE VCR VCR 1067 $17 122
25 VCR SHIFT-SWAP VCR VCR 1067 $87 246
26 VCR Phantom1 VCR VCR 1067 $A7 247

MACROS:
# Target Key Macro Keys Note
1 SHIFT-CBL TV;Power;CBL;Power;SHIFT-TV;Phantom2;3
2 M2 RCVR/AMP;Power;Guide;CD;Power
3 SHIFT-CD TV;Power;CD;Power;SHIFT-TV;Phantom2;2

I'm aboslutely clueless as to what you are trying to do here.
You are calling Shift-TV, but that has no definition. So that's a non-functioning key. (Did you mean to call TV?)

You've added a new 10 second keymove on TV-phantom1, buth you are calling Cable-Phantom2. Cable Phantom 2 is unassigned another non-functioning key.
Then you are tuning your cable button to channel 3.

Vicky, thank you very much for your reply.. esp. having such little sleep. Basically, what I'm aiming to do is use a macro that turns on the TV, cable box, DVD; setting the TV to the appropriate input (Component for cable, HDMI2 for DVD). My using Shift-TV in the 2nd macro was a desperate attempt to see positive results; I didn't review it before posting it (sorry).

The link to the 1st macro the helper inserted the Shift key(s) that replaced M1 and M2; that work. What happens is that if I'm watching cable and want to use the DVD player pressing Shift (Set)/DVD the TV input remains at the last TV input instead of switching to HDMI2 for DVD (hope this makes sense).

I will take your advise and rearrange the macro to see if that helps but the TV takes more than 5 seconds to turn on before any amendments can be applied. I really don't see why M1-M3 can't be used wherein M1 = TV/pwr + CBL/pwr and M3 = TV/pwr + dvd/pwr; replacing Shift(Set)TV and Shift (set)/dvd. I really don't understand why the helper used Shift but it works. Again thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radunn, It sounds like you are not making the decisions here. What is "the helper"?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
radunn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Radunn, It sounds like you are not making the decisions here. What is "the helper"?

"The helper" is the person who reviewed/submitted a working macro a while ago on this forum. They replaced M1 and M3 with Shift CBL and Shift CD.

Currently M1 is not sending any commands. The red IR indicator blinks when M1 is pressed displaying the last command, but the M1 command is not executed. I checked/cleaned the contacts after disassembling the remote. The IR puck became broke months ago and since has been replaced with a Next Gen IR kit that works fine. Today I tried using M1 but it's a no-go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: