JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Restoring button response on old remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Restoring button response on old remote Reply with quote

I have an 8910 that has some buttons that are getting rather flaky. In particular, the down-arrow. The button works, but it's slow to respond.

I have taken the remote apart and cleaned it several times. I've wiped the gold contacts with a clean cloth, and used some soap and water on the keys to remove any oils, with a thorough rinse and blown dry with air. This sometimes helps for a few weeks, but it slowly gets worse and worse again.

Are there any other suggestions? Is this a resistive or capacitive contact?

I am now using an RCA RCRP05B, but am finding the key layout to be a bit harder to use. The remote is a bit shorter than the 8910, but the key layout is nearly an inch longer. It's harder to reach some keys without having to slide the remote up and down or use my other hand.

Does someone have an 8910 in new or excellent condition they are willing to sell?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had the right idea by cleaning it but used the wrong cleaner. If you can get your hands on some electrical contact cleaner, like De-oxit, I think you'll have better results.
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the gold contacts, I didn't use any cleaner as such, just the dry microfiber cloth (actually a super-soft cloth for eyeglasses). I'll see if i can find some cleaner and carefully use it on the contacts and see if that helps.
winston65

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: contact cleaner Reply with quote

I use a product called CRC QD Contact Cleaner. Does not harm plastics and works a treat. Also use CRC 2-26 Precision Lubricant-also plastic safe. Economical too, a little bit goes a long way. No need to mail order, I got mine at the big box store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: