JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 7140 (Essence 4)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teatinker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: URC 7140 (Essence 4) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

i bought a URC 7140. I haven't found any reports on this remote in this forum, so I know I'm in uncharted waters here. I made a JP1.x adapter cable using Tommy's tutorial using the FTDI-232R-3V3. My results so far:

• Opened up the remote. There is a six-pin connector labeled "JP1.4".
  • The remote is working fine with my TV and stereo. LED is blinking on each button press.
  • Installed the drivers for the JP1.x adapter from FTDI. The adapter is listed as "USB Serial Port (COM3)" in the device manager.
  • Plugged the JP1.x cable into the remote. The remote is now not fully functional, the LED only blinks for some buttons.
  • jp1xtest finds nothing.
  • Debug_Tester finds nothing (no response on COM3).
  • Plugged the JP1.x cable into the remote the other way round.
  • Now the remote is dead and doesn't respond to anything. I tried pulling the batteries and pushing a button for a few seconds. Also tried putting the cable back the right way and running jp1xtest again. LEDs won't blink at all.

Is there any chance in ressurrecting the remote? If not, I might just buy another one, because I quite like the design and the buttons. Unfortunately, I don't have any other JP1.x remote, so I don't know if the adapter is working. Do you think there's a chance in getting a new 7140 to respond to jp1xtest? Otherwise I might consider getting one of the supported remotes instead.

Thanks,
Jens
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a JP1.4 remote-- I think it is-- then JP1xtest won't work. Nor should it cause damage to the remote. The basic communication protocol for JP1.4 and JP2 remotes is different from JP1.1/1.2/1.3 remotes.

Let's try to find out if the remote will talk at all. One way is to install RMIR 2.02 Beta1.5t, after installing the baseline mentioned on the download page.

Another way, that needs no installation, is JP2Sniffer. In spite of the file name, it will read from JP1.4 remotes. Click Download From E2 to see if there is any kind of response. It might respond with a signature or even segment data.
teatinker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Download from E2" in the JP2Sniffer results in an Exception:

Code:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex darf nicht länger als die Länge der Zeichenfolge sein.
Parametername: startIndex
   bei System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
   bei JP2Sniffer.MainForm.ReadAndParseE2()

The window on the bottom then shows "Bad AddressBad Length".

If I switch to the "Low Level" tab and click on "Begin Comm", "End Comm" or "Get Info", the main window shows "00 02 50 52". The other buttons don't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: