JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EFCs for Roku (STB version)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sloppyedwards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: EFCs for Roku (STB version) Reply with quote

1. Device: Roku 2 XS
2. Type of device: Set-top streaming device
3. Year: 2011?
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8820N
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? No
6. Still have original remote? Yes, but it's RF, not IR.
7. Checked the file section? Yes, but nothing I know what to do with.
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Some older stuff about a Roku SoundBridge.
9. Partially working setup code? CBL/SAT 2371 works fine, but it's missing some functions.
10. Learning remote question? Can't learn from the RF remote.
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Shows the best match as 2371, which is what I'm using.

The upgrade files I found for the most recent Roku devices use NEC1 or NEC2 with device 234 and 194. The lookup tool does not show any built-in codes for the URC-8820N with these devices.

Primarily, I want add the "Back" key function. The "Instant Replay" and the "Options" button would be nice, but aren't as critical.

Are there any EFCs that work with setup code 2371 that can add these extra 3 buttons, or at least the "Back" button?

Anyone with the Roku 2 LT/HD/XD that has programmed their remote with 2371, then learned the extra buttons from the Roku IR remote, and identified the codes for those buttons?

I'm a complete newbie to the more advanced programming of these remotes, so you may need to speak slowly and hold my hand a bit. Smile

MODERATOR NOTE:
Click below to access latest Roku commands, codes and files. These codes work with all Roku models except Stick.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25290
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=117292#117292

Here's how to get app IDs for IP control as well as icons:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101108

Roku code finder upgrade:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25737
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Roku file that uses NEC2 190.239

Digital STBs -> Roku HD1100 N1000 (NEC2 190.239)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5590

You can view this file using the RM program and that will give you the EFCs that are being used.

Here are the EFCs...
181 menu
185 up arrow
184 down arrow
183 left arrow
180 right arrow
187 select
186 play
182 rewind
053 fast fwd

Unfortunately, they didn't include the buttons that you were hoping for.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, here, but others are bound to wonder too. I looked up reviews of the Roku 2 XS (as an alternative to Apple TV) and it says that it has a Bluetooth remote so that you can hide the unit out of sight. Does it have an IR sensor as well or does you IR remote send to a Bluetooth relay or something?
sloppyedwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
I looked up reviews of the Roku 2 XS (as an alternative to Apple TV) and it says that it has a Bluetooth remote so that you can hide the unit out of sight. Does it have an IR sensor as well or does you IR remote send to a Bluetooth relay or something?
The Roku 2 HD, XD, and XS all support both IR and Bluetooth. The LT does not support Bluetooth. The XS comes with the Bluetooth remote. The others come with the IR remote.
sloppyedwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to buy the XD model at Best Buy, just to learn the codes from the included IR remote, then return it. Maybe I can find a friend with either the LT, HD, or XD model, rather than take advantage of Best Buy. I wonder if any stores have a Roku demo unit sitting out...
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably faster and easier to just try all 256 EFCs using Cable 2371.

Put the unit into a mode so that it will respond to the IR signal you're interested in. For example if you're looking for discrete Power Off, make sure the unit is on before testing....

1) Tap Setup (don't hold it)
2) Enter 00XXX (e.g. 00185 to test up arrow)
When the 5th digit is entered the remote will send the IR signal. You can hold the 5th digit to make it repeat.

Try it with a known EFC, and then just go through the EFCs systematically. It's actually pretty fast.

The known EFCs are all closely bunched when expressed as OBCs (the actual function number as opposed to the encoded EFCs). I would try consecutive OBCs starting at 9 (1-8 are already known to be in use), convert the OBCs to EFC format with RemoteMaster, and try those EFCs first.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the approach that 3FG suggested and I have a worksheet that you can use to do it.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/worksheet2.shtml

This worksheet lists all the EFCs in OBC order, so it greatly increases the chance that you will find what you're looking for early rather than later. For example, the 9 known EFCs (from my earlier post) are the first 9 OBCs in the worksheet.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched all 256 efc's, twice. I own two roku2 xs's, I also have three IR roku remotes, and so don't need the efc's, but wanted to help other xs owners. I was looking for these roku commands:

Netflix
Pandora
Crackle
Search
back.

Those commands are not under SAT 2371. Sad

Sloppyedwards, I suggest you look in the Channel Store in the menu of the Roku, bottom row are deals on roku systems, and IR remotes with above commands.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Edmund, do you have IR remotes that have those commands? Do you have any JP1 learning remotes and are you back on a PC yet?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I do have a IR remote with those commands, and my PC's are up and running. But I don't have a original jp1 learning remote, which is the only jp1 cable I have. I have many jp1.2 or 1.3 learning remotes, but no cable to go with them. Tommy Tyler sent me phototype cable, but emailed me later it was faulty design. Never got a working cable.

I can mail the roku remote to you?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy will be selling JP1.x cables again starting around July 1st, so maybe you can pick yourself up one, then you'll be able to use your learning JP1.x remotes to capture signal information.

And yes, you can mail me a Roku remote if you like and I'll capture the signals.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Edmund's remote and have captured it. While the SAT/2371 uses NEC2 190.239 these learns all use NEC2 234.194 and here's the kicker, there's a toggle bit, so it looks like each button uses 2 OBCs.

So, bottom line, we would need a protocol upgrade to generate these signals.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comfirming it isn't availabe via remote alone.

The only Jp1 remote to go with jp1 cable I have are very old, sticky, non-learning, backlight not working urc-9800 producer 8's.

I haven't had the urge to program my newest toy, a mx-780, which I received the an employee discount on from Hank Eisengrein of URC. For help I given answering URC remote questions over the years. That was nice. Smile

But I'll look into getting jp1.2/3 cable for the many of those remotes I still have.

You may keep the roku remote. And thanks as always.
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have working for the Roku 2 XS using a R-S 15-2117

Nec2; Dev 234, Sub Dev 194

EFC's
104 FWD scan
148 REV Scan
198 Back
187 Home/Menu
201 Options
005 Inst replay
249 UP
155 DN
246 Left
088 Right
087 OK
036 Pause/Play
010 Crackle
043 Netflic

I just got this thing today so I haven't had a chance to see what other codes might work. I got the Crackle & Netficx from Robs Custom Protocol upload. The 2117 learns a NEC2 234,194 code from another 2117 programed and working with the Custom Protocol. I haven't gotten a clean learn for Pandora which rob also figured out.

I'll run through all the codes just in case there are short cuts for other channels, search etc. I don't have much free room left on my 2117. Using the NEC2 protocol without the custom upgrade saves some space. It would be nice to have some macros to cruise through the somewhat tedius process of finding stuff on the ROKU.

Also while these codes work for browsing and playing media they do not work as a game remote for the ROKU.

Sorry SE,
Guess none of this is really very useful for what you're looking for.

Edit:
103 Pandora
elorimer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I got Edmund's remote and have captured it. While the SAT/2371 uses NEC2 190.239 these learns all use NEC2 234.194 and here's the kicker, there's a toggle bit, so it looks like each button uses 2 OBCs.

So, bottom line, we would need a protocol upgrade to generate these signals.

The 190.239 was used for the original Roku boxes with a 9 button remote. When they added a 12 button remote, they introduced the 234.194 code. So far as I know, all the Roku boxes will respond to either code.

I don't think Roku was trying to do anything clever and was intending that the codes be easily picked up by a learning remote. Any idea why they would have a toggle bit and 2OBCs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: